Music is alive and kicking at Radio Adelaide
Tuesday, 2 September 2008
Local delights, national heavyweights and international guests perform live to air on Radio Adelaide in Live Music Fest '08 - an exhilarating program involving six days of live music radio, more than 80 live acts and more than 400 musicians!
"Live Music Fest is an exhilarating celebration of musical diversity. Listeners will experience everything from Japanese, Celtic, Nunga and African performers to choristers, rappers, steel lap-guitarists, hardcore punk, string quartets and more," says Live Music Fest Director Kat McGuffie.
Live Music Fest will run from 8-13 September and can be heard on Radio Adelaide 101.5fm, or via live streaming at: www.radio.adelaide.edu.au
Among the touring musical treats on offer:
- Jane Badler with SIR (Brooklyn/Melbourne) - "devilishly seductive" former actress
- Nicky Bomba (Malta/Melbourne) - funky latin and reggae artist
- The Last Town Chorus (USA) - sweet indie pop slide guitarist
- Lilith Lane (Melbourne) - blues and garage folk song-smith
- Ash Grunwald (Melbourne) - well-respected roots and funk maestro.
And just a few of the local crew:
- Greta Bradman - "One of Adelaide's finest young singer's" (The Advertiser)
- Caliente Guitar Trio - intricate arrangements of Brazilian choro & samba music and textured jazz
- Mere Theory - a favourite on the Adelaide rock circuit
- Cookie Baker - tempting us with tunes from her forthcoming album
- Supermarket - audio-visual wonder kids presenting a special installation on North Terrace
- The Merrg - Indigenous reggae beats
- Etype - a much-loved group in the Adelaide jazz scene for over 15 years, and still going strong
- Poetikool Justice - politically infused hip-hop, funk and rock
- Cal Williams Jr. - get your blues shoes on for some serious slide guitar.
"With 86 live performances in total, Live Music Fest '08 is testament to Radio Adelaide's commitment to cutting-edge music broadcasting and to exposing a host of exciting local talent to the public," Ms McGuffie says.
The full Live Music Fest program can be found at: www.radio.adelaide.edu.au/lmf
The week of musical decadence culminates in a FREE world music showcase concert at the Nexus Multicultural Arts Centre on Saturday 13 September thanks to the Adelaide City Council.
Live Music Fest 08 is proudly supported by Arts SA, Adelaide City Council, Allans Music, Dymocks, Australian Ethical Investment, Savings and Loans, Crumpler, Beard Papa and Nexus Multicultural Arts Centre.
Radio Adelaide is the University of Adelaide's community radio station.
Program Co-ordinator - Music
The University of Adelaide
Business: +61 8 8313 5000
Mobile: 0409 604 648
Mr David Ellis
Deputy Director, Media and Corporate Relations
The University of Adelaide
Business: +61 8 8313 5414
Mobile: +61 (0)421 612 762