SA Water doubles its scholarships in 2009
Tuesday, 3 March 2009
The 24 scholarships include 13 new scholarships for 2009.
The scholarship program will support students studying in the fields of engineering, business, economics, commerce and accounting. It also supports female and indigenous students, as well as some students in financial need.
"We welcome SA Water's scholarship support, which is exactly what students - and the State - need," said the University's Vice-Chancellor and President, Professor James McWha.
"Today's students are tomorrow's leaders and innovators. Not only will SA Water's support be greatly appreciated by our talented and deserving students, it will directly contribute to creating a better future for all of us," he said.
SA Water Chief Executive Anne Howe said SA Water was proud of the strong scholarship program it had established, which now provides more educational opportunities to young South Australians.
"The SA Water Scholarship Program has been developed to assist in ensuring that SA Water, the water industry and business in general is provided with high achieving individuals in the areas of engineering, business, science and Information Technology," Ms Howe said.
"Recipients of the scholarships will be invited to attend various SA Water graduate events and are encouraged to interact with graduates who are currently on the SA Water Graduate Program.
"By establishing relationships with recipients and identifying high achieving students with a passion for the water industry early on, we hope to foster these relationships and secure top talent throughout the graduate recruitment cycle, with the intention of encouraging students to apply for SA Water's Graduate Program at the completion of their degree.
"The SA Water Scholarship Program is in addition, and complementary of all existing recruitment program initiatives including traineeships and apprenticeships, and indigenous, graduate and vocational work experience programs."
Among the new scholarships for 2009 are:
- Newly created scholarships:
- SA Water Undergraduate Scholarships in Civil and Structural Engineering (three scholarships in total);
- SA Water Undergraduate Scholarships for Women in Civil and Environmental Engineering (three scholarships in total).
New scholarship places offered in the following:
- SA Water Indigenous Scholarship (now two scholarships);
- SA Water Undergraduate Scholarship in Civil Engineering (now two scholarships);
- SA Water Undergraduate Scholarship in Commerce (Accounting) (now two scholarships);
- SA Water Undergraduate Scholarship in Economics (now two scholarships);
- SA Water Undergraduate Scholarship in Engineering (now five scholarships);
- SA Water Undergraduate Scholarship for Women in Civil Engineering (now two scholarships).
There are also three SA Water Undergraduate Scholarships in Business.
The scholarships range in value from $2500 to $5000 per year and vary per scholarship and degree undertaken.
Winners of the Civil Engineering, Indigenous, and Women in Civil Engineering scholarships also have the chance to receive paid work experience at SA Water throughout the duration of their scholarship.
For more information about the scholarships, visit: www.adelaide.edu.au/scholarships