Uni offers unique financial services to industry
Monday, 28 February 2005
The University of Adelaide's recently established International Centre for Financial Services will set the benchmark by providing unique financial services to industry.
Although some Australian universities have finance centres, the ICFS will differentiate itself by focusing on areas not offered by the other institutions such as banking, insurance, funds management, financial planning, superannuation, venture capital, and property market finance.
"Another point of difference is that we will focus on both Australia and the Asia Pacific region, where many countries are looking to Australia as a model in the financial services and retirement incomes areas," said Mr Clive Perring, Director of the Centre and a 20-year veteran in the financial services industry.
Other Australian universities have set up academic centres covering financial services, but predominantly from a technical aspect.
"This is where we are offering a unique product in that we are responding to industry needs by focusing on the delivery and development of expertise on the operational and regulatory side of the industry," Mr Perring said.
The Centre will provide the following services:
- The delivery of short courses aimed at professionals within the financial services industry with (possible) articulation pathways to postgraduate coursework programs.
- The development and support of postgraduate coursework programs for the industry in conjunction with the relevant schools within the University.
- The development and provision of contract research capabilities for the industry.
- The development and support of academic and academic/practitioner teams to undertake research on key issues in the industry and to apply for research support from various agencies and industry bodies.
- To encourage and support Higher Degree by Research students to undertake doctoral studies in the general area of financial services.
- To provide a focus and administrative base for a new publication - the International Journal of Managerial Finance - that will be launched by Emerald Press this year under the joint editorship of Associate Professor Ralf Zurbrugg.
The Centre will also be looking to liase with a number of bodies within the financial services sector. They include the Australasian Institute of Banking and Finance; the Securities Institute of Australia; the Financial Planning Association; Investment and Financial Services Association; Self Managed Super Funds Professionals Association and the Australian Insurance Institute.
"In adopting an international focus, the Centre will foster excellence in, and improved understanding of the financial services industry by providing strong research, education and training programs and facilities for the industry, its participants, regulators, academia and other interested parties," Mr Perring said.
International Centre for Financial Services
University of Adelaide
Business: +61 8 8313 3527
Mobile: 0419 829 057
Ms Robyn Mills
Media and Communications Officer
The University of Adelaide
Business: +61 8 8313 6341
Mobile: +61 410 689 084