Open Day not just for potential students
Friday, 19 August 2011
From having a go at keyhole surgery or presenting the news, to investigating 'death by chocolate' or being tracked by a hovering microdrone - there will be something for everyone at this year's University of Adelaide Open Day on Sunday 21 August, 9am - 4.30pm.
The University of Adelaide Open Day is the major day of the year when thousands of prospective students, their families and friends visit the University to learn more about study and career opportunities, and university life.
It's also a community day when members of the general public visit the University, tour the campus and facilities or simply enjoy the entertainment, performances and displays.
"Open Day will give prospective students and their families a great feel for the campus. It gives them the chance to talk to staff and current students, to make sure they're comfortable and happy with the environment they're coming to, and understand where the University of Adelaide can take them in their career," says Professor Pascale Quester, Deputy Vice-Chancellor and Vice-President (Academic).
"It's also a great opportunity for the general public - from children through all ages - to visit some of the University's little known 'treasures', take part in fun activities, hear about some of our latest research and the impact it has, and enjoy some of the wide-ranging cultural events and exhibitions."
And to make it easier to find the way around Open Day, this year the University has developed a smartphone app, helping guide visitors to events and activities and to plan their day. The app can be downloaded for free from the iPhone and Android phone App Stores, or from the Open Day website.
There's something for everyone at the University of Adelaide's Open Day and it's all free. Highlights include:
- The Three Minute Thesis competition - PhD students will get just three minutes to explain their three-year research in a fun event before a panel of judges, 2.45pm, Scott Theatre
- Tours and talks around the University's historic and state-of-the-art buildings, museums and artworks, including a 'sneak peak' at the new Student Learning Hub
- Performances by Elder Conservatorium students and the University of Adelaide Theatre Guild
- Be inspired by the work of our Architecture and Design Studies students and enter the iPad 2 competition in the basement of Nexus 10, 10 Pulteney Street.
- Faculty displays, activities and talks demonstrating the range of educational and research opportunities.
For more information on Open Day or to download the Open Day app visit www.adelaide.edu.au/openday
Media and Communications Officer
The University of Adelaide
Business: +61 8 8313 6341
Mobile: +61 410 689 084