140 treasures for 140 years of University history
Thursday, 15 May 2014
The University of Adelaide is celebrating its 140th anniversary with a free public exhibition of 140 treasures from its archives and collections.
Established in 1874, the University of Adelaide has 140 years of history rich with treasures ranging from fascinating archived administrative records of the University's earliest days through to rare books, art and heritage items relating to the University, South Australia and the wider community.
The treasures on display include:
- A 1578 handwritten warrant signed by Queen Elizabeth I detailing gifts to be given to the poor on Maundy Thursday.
- Arthur Boyd's "The Circus" - six paintings commissioned to illustrate poems by Max Harris in the October 1961 issue of Australian Letters. The paintings can be seen between 1-4pm or by appointment on 8313 5224.
- A Venetian publication on astrology and astronomy, published in 1485, beautifully illuminated with gold and bright colours and with woodcuts of the constellations.
- Graduation photograph of Edith Dornwell, the University's first female graduate in 1885. The University of Adelaide was the first Australian university to confer degrees on women.
- The 1872 Deed of Covenant between Walter Watson Hughes, the University of Adelaide's founding benefactor, and the University Association.
- Military service record of University staff, graduates and students 1916-1918 - a poignant collection of letters from the families of former staff and students detailing their war service.
The exhibition is part of About Time: South Australia's History Festival.
What: 140 Treasures: celebrating 140 years of the University of Adelaide
Where: Rare Books and Special Collections, Level 1, Barr Smith Library, North Terrace campus,
When: Open now until Sunday 29 June during library opening hours: 8am-10pm Mon-Thurs, closing 6pm Fri, and 10am-5pm on weekends.
Find out more about the University's 140th Anniversary program of events and activities.
Media and Communications Officer
The University of Adelaide
Business: +61 8 8313 6341
Mobile: +61 410 689 084