Adelaide offers more SA students places in Medicine
Wednesday, 18 January 2006
The University of Adelaide's School of Medicine made its first round of offers today to students from around the country who have applied for this high-demand course.
South Australian students comprised an outstanding 42% of the recipients of first round offers, a significant increase to almost double the number given offers at this time last year.
Professor Justin Beilby, Executive Dean of the School of Medicine said, "With two rounds of offers still to go out, we are encouraged by the level of local students who have achieved offers in the first round. Medicine at the University of Adelaide is a high demand course, with 65% of applications coming from interstate, so it is a great result to see 42% of offers going to SA students.
"Ten tertiary transfer students who are currently enrolled in other degree courses at the University of Adelaide have also been made offers and all are from South Australia. This means that 36 of the 84 students to receive first round offers are from SA."
The good news continues for the course as offers have gone out to some of the top students in the state, including Nicholas Smith.
"We are playing our part to increase the number of doctors in the state. That we have seen successes in the first round including a student from Jamestown, Tanya Duke, as well as indigenous student Sarah Bohmer, and this is a great sign that we are attracting the variety of students the profession needs," Professor Beilby said.
The next round of offers will be released on Monday 6 February.
The first round offer is smaller this year because the School of Medicine has a second round of interviews taking place in January for students who achieved very high TER scores, but were not offered interviews in the first round due to lower UMAT scores.