Hear PhD students’ research - in only three minutes
University of Adelaide PhD candidates have just three minutes each to explain their research that includes subjects like anti-venom, green electricity, diplomatic fashion, the evolution of mobile phones, growing your own food, and asthmatic pregnancies.
Ten students will compete in the Three Minute Thesis (3MT) competition in front of a live audience using only a single PowerPoint slide as a visual aid.
3MT is a fun and collaborative way to develop researchers’ ability to effectively communicating the impact of their research, skills that will be necessary throughout their career.
The PhD students will compete in the University’s 3MT final, on the following topics:
- Antivenoms: Snake It ‘Til You Make It: Chia-De Wang is from the School of Physical Sciences.
- A Symphony of Blood Vessel Growth in Diabetes: Emma Solly is from the Adelaide Medical School.
- Diplomacy: High Stakes & High Fashion: Grace Waye-Harris is from the School of Humanities.
- Urban food security: Isobel Hume is from the School of Agriculture, Food and Wine.
- Helping babies breathe: improving lung health in babies of asthmatic mothers: Joshua Robinson is from the Adelaide Medical School.
- Fasting in time for health: Kai Liu is from the Adelaide Medical School.
- Reducing tacit collusion amongst petrol stations: Mia Tam is from the School of Economics & Public Policy.
- Fighting Disability Discrimination: Peta Spyrou is from the Adelaide Law School.
- Making green electricity cheaper in power system: Sahand Karimi-Arpanahi is from the School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering.
- Mobile Phone Evolution and Etching. Xiting Zhou is from the School of Chemical Engineering and Advanced Materials.
A panel of expert judges will choose one of these finalists to represent the University of Adelaide at the national finals, after which they will hopefully progress to the Asia Pacific finals.
The audience will also get to vote on which of the ten students wins the People’s Choice Award.
WHAT: Research Tuesdays: Three Minute Thesis final
WHEN: Tuesday 13 September 2022, 5.30pm start.
WHERE: The Braggs Lecture Theatre, University of Adelaide, North Terrace.
REGISTER FOR ONLINE: https://adelaide.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_d_l91biSSNW4k28mBhZxnA
REGISTER FOR IN-PERSON: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/research-tuesdays-3-minute-thesis-tickets-406590462017
FURTHER DETAILS: https://www.adelaide.edu.au/research/events/research-tuesdays
WATCH A RECORDING LATER: A recording will be available on the Research Tuesdays Series YouTube within 24-48 hours after the event.
Eleanor Danenberg, Media & Communications Assistant, The University of Adelaide.
Mobile: +61 (0)427 346 981. Email: email@example.com