Peer Mentoring Program
The Peer Mentoring Program is a student run initiative which aims to help first year students settle into their studies and the University of Adelaide community.
The program runs in semester 1 and 2. It is an informal way to meet other students, learn about campus life, engage in activities and events, have your questions answered, and receive ongoing peer support.
While our program is primarily for commencing undergraduate students (in their first year of study), we welcome all Faculty of the Professions students who would like to join the program.
Our peer mentors know from personal experience what it’s like to be a new student. They are current Professions students, eager to share ‘insider’ information to guide you through university life and help you feel confident in taking the right steps towards study success. Groups meet face-to-face, online and at events/activities.
It is always nice to share your experience with the new students and help them out all the time. Peer mentoring is one of the ways where a students get to share and exchange their thoughts and also learning from their experiences.
As a mentee you will:
- Receive timely information and handy hints
- Develop a network of supportive peers
- Be invited to social events and group study sessions
- Increase your awareness of student support services
- Improve your teamwork skills
- Gain a sense of belonging at university
How do I join the program as a mentee?
If you are a commencing undergraduate or postgraduate student and would like to join the program, simply register for a peer mentor. When the program commences you will be contacted by your mentor.
As a peer mentor you will:
- Develop your leadership skills through numerous activities
- Show effective listening, communication and interpersonal skills, particularly in a team environment
- Engage with a positive and open attitude
- Demonstrate tolerance and understanding of cultural diversity
- Show detailed knowledge of university facilities and services
- Respect sensitive and confidential information at all times
How do I join the program as a mentor?
Make sure that you meet the following criteria to be able to apply to become a Mentor:
- Have a GPA of 5.0 or higher
- Have completed at least 1 full year in current degree
If you meet the above criteria and are a commencing undergraduate or postgraduate student and would like to join the program, register here.
Hear from our peer mentors
"There are so many amazing support services on campus that can help you with whatever it may be, to ensure that you succeed with your studies." - Ellysia OldsenRead more about Ellysia Oldsen reflects on her transition from country girl to city student
"Be active and sociable to make new friends as they will be the ones who will be walking the same journey as you." - Yee WeeRead more about Mentor Yee Wee shares her tips on how to get involved on campus
"Be open to opportunities, be willing to learn from the experience of others and there is no harm in asking for help." - Ashish BagaiRead more about Ashish Bagai shares his passion for mentoring and love of Adelaide City
"The Faculty is extremely supportive and help students throughout their degree with any and every question they may have." - Shivani SatijaRead more about Peer Mentor Shivani Satija encourages new students to get involved in the Faculty
"You can work on crucial soft skills like communication, time management, people management, empathy and a few others that are integral for many jobs." - Basim KamilRead more about Basim Kamil shares his advice on getting the most out of your University experience