New Colombo Plan Scholarships 2020
“The New Colombo Plan is a signature initiative of the Australian Government which aims to lift knowledge of the Indo Pacific in Australia by supporting Australian undergraduates to study and undertake internships in the region.
The New Colombo Plan is intended to be transformational, deepening Australia's relationships in the region, both at the individual level and through expanding university, business and other stakeholder links. ”
Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
In order to be invited by the Australian Government to apply for a New Colombo Plan Scholarship, students need to be nominated by the University of Adelaide. This page provides information for our students interested in applying for a New Colombo Plan Scholarship.
New Colombo Plan Scholarships are:
- highly prestigious, and one of the highest value international study scholarships available for Australian students.
- for study in the Indo-Pacific* region of 1-2 semesters, usually undertaken as exchange studies (study must count towards your degree).
- an Internship or language training component is encouraged.
- for studies commencing between 1 January 2020 and before 31 December 2020.
* Bangladesh, Bhutan, Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, China, Cook Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, French Polynesia, Hong Kong SAR, India, Indonesia, Japan, Kiribati, Laos, Malaysia, Maldives, Marshall Islands, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nauru, Nepal, New Caledonia, Niue, Pakistan, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Republic of Korea, Samoa, Singapore, Solomon Islands, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu and Vietnam.
To be eligible you must be:
- a high achieving student (minimum 70% graded average).
- an Australian citizen.
- aged 18 – 28.
- enrolled as an undergraduate student in at least second year or in Honours.
- not be a previous recipient of a New Colombo Plan Scholarship.
To apply for a New Colombo Plan Scholarship you must be nominated by the University. The University can nominate up to 10 students.
If you would like to apply to be nominated by the University for a New Colombo Plan Scholarship, please complete the application form below by 5:00pm, Friday 21 June, 2019. As one of the University of Adelaide's nominees, you will be immediately required to obtain an Australian Federal Police check (the University will pay for nominated students). You will then be invited by the Australian Government to formally apply for a New Colombo Plan Scholarship.
Please contact Emma Laurence, Manager: Strategic Student Opportunities, for further information or advice in preparing your application.
(Data cannot be saved in this form. It is suggested that you complete your application offline and copy/paste into the form once complete.)