ARC Discovery Projects
This scheme offers funding for research projects undertaken by research teams or individual researchers.
|Funding rules released||8 October 2019|
|Proposals open||11 November 2020|
|Internal NOI||14 October 2020|
|Request not to assess||3 February 2021||10 February 2021|
|Proposal review||3 February 2021|
|Proposals close||24 February 2021|
Research Services review requirements
Please email the proposal PDF to email@example.com to enable Research Services to commence a review.
If the proposal arrives on or before the proposal review internal deadline, the team will perform a full review, providing formatting and editing advice as well as eligibility and compliance.
Proposals received after this date will receive an eligibility review as a minimum, and a full review only if resources allow.
The following internal DP review checklist is available for applicants or support-staff interested in knowing what the Research Services ARC team are looking for when conducting full or eligibility reviews.
Submitting completed proposals to the ARC
Before your application can be submitted to the to the ARC via RMS:
- submit a fully completed and eligible proposal in RMS, to the Research Office
- login and complete your RFR
In addition, the lead CI must obtain and retain the written agreement of all the relevant persons and organisations to allow the proposed project to proceed as specified in the Funding Rules. This excludes the employing organisations of overseas Partner Investigators (PIs) and any participant's current organisation which is not their relevant organisation for the proposal. Certifications are NOT required for the lead CI or the University of Adelaide (who both certify by means of the RFR).
Whilst the proforma states "The use of this proforma is not mandatory" the University of Adelaide as administering organisation is still required to obtain written evidence of all relevant persons and organisations necessary to allow the proposed Project to proceed. The specified format for collecting the written evidence for the University of Adelaide is the ARC certification proforma.
Collection and retention
The lead CI is required to collect a signed proforma for each Chief Investigator and Partner Investigator, and retain them in the event that the ARC requests that they be produced at some point in the future.
Note: Please do not forward completed certifications to Research Services as they will not be retained.
Submitting externally-led Discovery Projects
University of Adelaide researchers who are named as Chief Investigators on any DP22 proposal (regardless of the administering institution) are required to complete the electronic Research Funding Request (RFR) form (through RME6).
The external administering organisation will require the University of Adelaide to provide an organisational certification (written evidence). If the administering organisation provides you with an organisation certification, please forward to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Research Services will arrange for sign off on the organisational certification following:
- Completion of an electronic Research Funding Request (RFR) form (through RME6) approved by both the lead UA CI and their Head of School; and
- Submission of an electronic copy of the complete draft proposal to email@example.com – the pdf generated from RMS (naming convention DP2201XXXXX_CI SURNAME_PROPOSAL.pdf).
Following submission of the proposal to the ARC, please provide Research Services (email to firstname.lastname@example.org) with an electronic copy of the submitted proposal – the pdf generated from RMS (naming convention DP2201XXXXX_CI SURNAME_PROPOSAL.pdf).
Documents & useful information
- ARC Discovery Projects website
- ATO costs estimate document
- Budget calculator
- Full review & eligibility checklist
- Generating an Application Word Cloud
- Grant expenditure guide for Discovery Projects
- Grant guidelines & instructions to applicants
- Importing research outputs to RMS
- Multi-institutional agreement
- Request not to assess template
- Research metrics guide
- Salary calculator for ARC proposals (commencing 2022)
- Section-by-section guide
Application section templates (with formatting)
- DP A4 Application summary
- DP A6 National interest test statement
- DP D1 Project description
- DP E2 Justification of non-salary funding from the ARC
- DP E3 Details of non-ARC contribution
- DP F1 Personal details
- DP F5 Research load (non-ARC grants & research)
- DP F17 Research opportunity & performance evidence (ROPE)