Research Professional Frequently Asked Questions
Research Professional FAQs for University of Adelaide Staff and Students.
- What is Research Professional?
Research Professional is an online database of research funding opportunities and a source of international research policy and practice news.
As a member of the University of Adelaide, you have been allocated an account to browse the content of the site, create customised searches of its content and share this information with colleagues.
- Why were/weren't my details added to Research Professional?
The University of Adelaide sent information received from Human Resources to Research Professional for user registration.
From June 1 all University of Adelaide staff, titleholders, HDR students will have an RP account established with single sign-on, and will receive an introduction email with instructions.If you have not yet received an email from Research Professional it is possible that you have not yet been added or that your email address has been written incorrectly. If this is the case, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- How was my generic profile set up for me?
Research Services provided information including your name, a-number and Faculty to Research Professional so your profile could be set up under the relevant workgroup.
- How do I change my generic profile?
Login to Research Professional, then click on your name in the top right of the screen. Click “Edit Profile” to change your profile.
- Where can I find further information?
Go to the Help page and look in the column at the right to find FAQ, video instructions and documents on how to use Research Professional.
- What sort of items does Research Professional include in the Funding database?
A detailed description of Research Professional's funding opportunities remit can be found on the Research Professional Help > FAQ website.
- What do the small icons under the grant information stand for?
- How do I access Research Professional?
If you are anywhere on-campus (any location using the University of Adelaide's network) you will be taken directly to the“Home” page.
When entering the site on-campus you will be able to browse news and funding content freely but will be prompted for your University ID and Password if attempting to save work or access any personalised information. Alternatively the “Log in” page can be accessed directly by clicking ‘Log in’ in the top right-hand corner of any page.
You will be required to enter your University ID and Password before being able to access the Research Professional site. Follow the steps below:
1. Go to the Research Services website > Resources > Research Professional
2. Under "How to Access Research Professional", click > Login
3. Once on the Research Professional homepage, click on "Please login to see your profile"
4. Login "with your university account" > The University of Adelaide > Log in
5. You will taken to The University of Adelaide portal, where you can enter your 'a-number' and password.
6. You should now have access to Research Professional, and your personal profile.
- Do I need to sign in to view Research Professional?
Logging in is not the only way to access the service. You can also view the news content via guest access.
Guest access is only available if you are using a computer within the network of a subscribing institution. Guest access allows you to browse the available content. However if you would like to save your work, or create an email alert, you will need to log in to the service.
- I have forgotten my password: how do I reset?
To reset your password, click on 'Log in' at the top-right hand corner of the page. You will see the 'Forgot Password' link, enter your email address and Research Professional will generate a new password. This will be automatically sent to your inbox.
- I have moved institution: how can I change my account to my new institution?
Your personal account is tied to your institution. If you just want another account without any of the saved work; go through the 'Register' process when on campus at your new institution.
If you have personalised searches you would like to keep, still go through the 'Register' process, however please contact us on email@example.com and we may be able to transfer the searches for you.
- How do I set up an email alert?
To set up an email alert based upon an opportunities or articles search, save your search, then click on 'Save and Alert' in the pop-up.
- Refer to the Research Professional search tips for more information on creating email alerts.
- How do I stop receiving email alert?
To control emails that are generated from Research Professional, click on the 'Email alerts' button.
This will show you all of your opportunities/articles searches and any other available email notifications. To stop receiving an email alert un-tick the box and your account will automatically update.
- What categories can I search by?
Any combination of: text, discipline, award type, funder, closing date, date added, publication issue, country of funder, type of funder, nationality of applicant institution, annotations and Australian Category.
- How do I search a discipline and all of the categories underneath it?
This advice is for when you wish to conduct a search of a discipline and all sub-disciplines, without individually selecting each sub-discipline.
When you conduct a search by discipline, under “Match these disciplines”, instead of leaving “Exactly” checked, check “Advanced” and then “Narrower matches”.
The search should then include the discipline you selected and any sub-disciplines.
- What if I know about a funding opportunity that isn’t listed on Research Professional?
If there is a funding opportunity that is not listed in Research Professional, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll arrange to have it added.
- Will my search results include changes made later by workgroup administrators?
If your account was created by the Research Services Division, then you should continue to receive workgroup search results weekly, including any changes that the administrators have made to the search. If you registered on your own, then joined a workgroup, then you will need to select “Save Shortcut” to ensure you receive the search including any later administrative changes.
- Is it possible to search by Australian Category of Grant?
Yes. When conducting a search, go to "Advanced Search”, then under the “More options” drop down box, select “Australian Category”.
- Can I create a calendar of funding opportunities?
Yes. Grant dates will appear in the calendar on the day they are due to the funding provider and will not include any opening dates or University of Adelaide deadlines.
To create a calendar, once you have conducted a search, select the relevant funding opportunities and select “Calendar” from the drop down box next to “Save” or “Bookmark”, then click “Save” or “Bookmark”. The calendar will appear in a new window, so make sure that Pop-ups are not blocked.
This information can be exported to your Outlook calendar by clicking on “Subscribe”. The entries will then be automatically updated over time so that you always have the up-to-date list of deadlines in your calendar.