Andromeda Metals Limited
High Performance Solid-State Li-ion Battery based on Halloysite Additives for Next Generation Energy Storage Applications.
The development of electric vehicles, solar energy and portable electronics has created a growing demand for enhanced energy storage systems. Solid-state Li batteries (SS-LIBs) have greater storage capacity, longer cycle lives and are less costly to produce than conventional liquid and gel-based Li batteries. Furthermore, SS-LIBs eliminate flammability risk associated with liquid and gel-based technologies. However, conductivity issues due to crystallisation of solid polymer electrolytes (SPE) have hampered the performance of commercial SS-LIBs over a wide range of operating temperatures. This project aims to investigate novel SPE using natural halloysite clay, which exhibits exceptional ionic conductivity and facile lithium transportation. The unique surface properties such as nano-tubular morphology can create multi-dimensional pathways that enhance the conductivity of electrolyte materials. The project expects to advance fundamental knowledge, training an HDR student and generate intellectual property.
- MSc in chemical engineering, chemistry, physics or materials science
- Experience in materials synthesis and electrochemical characterisation techniques
- Knowledge of battery cell assembly
- The ability to work cooperatively in a research team with staff and students from diverse backgrounds is essential
- A high-level of communications skills, computer literacy and presentation skills
This project will be conducted 50-60 % of time at the School of Chemical Engineering, 30-40% time at Chemistry and Polymers Group, CSIRO and 10 % of time at Andromeda-Minotaur Joint Venture Exploration Ltd, Adelaide
|CSIRO Partner||Industry Partner||University of Adelaide Partner|
Energy Storage and Battery Technologies
Andromeda Metals Limited
Faculty of Engineering, Computer and Mathematical Sciences (ECMS)
|School or Centre:
Prof Shizhang Qiao
Please read all instructions carefully.
To apply for the Industry PhD program, you need to apply for Admission Only using the University of Adelaide’s online application form. Within the online application form you may be presented with 3 types of applications to select from. Please select “Admission Only”. You will be instructed below how to indicate your CSIRO project selection.
Applications are now open.
- Applications will be accepted up to 30 April 2019 or until the position is filled.
- Please refer to our guide on submitting an application.
- In addition you will need to submit an “Additional Information” form for each project that you want to apply for. Once complete it must be emailed as a PDF document to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Specific notes on completing the online application form sections “Study Preference” and “Research Interests” are outlined below.
Study preferences - Andromeda Metals Limited
|Add a Study Preference|
|Study type:||Doctor of Philosophy|
|Award:||Doctor of Philosophy in Engineering|
|School:||School of Chemical Engineering|
|Research Area:||Chemical Engineering|
|Proposed study load:||Full Time|
|Proposed attendance mode:||Internal|
|Proposed start date:||Between 1/2/2019 and 15/7/19 as agreed with supervisor|
Please provide a brief statement of your research interests:
At the beginning of this free text field, list each project title for which you would like to be considered:
- Agilent Technologies Australia: Identification, characterisation and exploitation of bioactive compounds from plant biomass.
- Incitec Pivot Fertilisers: Increasing nitrogen use efficiency with micronutrient coatings for urea fertiliser.
- Rio Tinto: Managing groundwater in complex mining landscapes using advanced dating techniques.
- Andromeda Metals Limited: High Performance Solid-State Li-ion Battery based on Halloysite Additives for Next Generation Energy Storage Applications.
NOTE: A separate “Additional Information” form must be completed for each project you wish to be considered for. These forms must be emailed in PDF format to email@example.com immediately after you have submitted your application for Admission.
Research interests: Proposed supervisor:
If you have indicated more than one CSIRO project, please include relevant supervisor name/s:
- Agilent Technologies Australia: Professor Vincent Bulone.
- Incitec Pivot Fertilisers: Dr Ron Smernik/Prof Ganga Hettiarachchi.
- Rio Tinto: Professor Andre Luiten/Dr Phil Light.
- Andromeda Metals Limited: Dr Deepak P Dubal.
Continue completing all other sections of the online application form and upload all required documents.
- Completed your “Admission Only” online application form.
- Included CSIRO Project Title/s and Proposed Supervisor/s in the Research Interests field of your application.
- Uploaded all other required documentation and submitted your online application.
- Filled out the Additional Information form/s for each project you wish to be considered for.
- Emailed PDF versions of your completed Additional Information form/s to firstname.lastname@example.org.
General information on your application
- Once submitted, your application will be reviewed to determine your eligibility to be admitted to the PhD Program.
- Applicants due to complete their undergraduate or honours programs in Semester 1 are eligible to apply, however, any offer would be conditional on successful completion of the degree.
- Your eligibility to be considered for the Industry PhD program of your choice will be reviewed.
- If you meet the eligibility requirements, you will be contacted for a formal interview by CSIRO and the University.
- You will be notified of the outcome of your application following the interview.
- If your application is unsuccessful, your online application for Admission will be closed.
- Should you wish to apply for a PhD program unrelated to the CSIRO Industry PhD program, you will need to submit a separate new application for Admission and Scholarship during one of the 2 rounds held each year. The Mid-Year Round opens early April and closes 30 May, while the Major Round opens 1 September and closes 31 October.
If you require assistance with the online application process please contact:
Adelaide Graduate Centre Senior Scholarships Officers
Phone: +61 8 8313 3044
For any other enquiries about the CSIRO Industry PhD Program please contact:
HDR Industry Enquiries
Tel: +61 8 8313 9127
Free-call: 1800 061 459