Andromeda Metals Limited
High Performance Solid-State Li-ion Battery based on Halloysite Additives for Next Generation Energy Storage Applications.
The development of electric vehicles, solar energy and portable electronics has created a growing demand for enhanced energy storage systems. Solid-state Li batteries (SS-LIBs) have greater storage capacity, longer cycle lives and are less costly to produce than conventional liquid and gel-based Li batteries. Furthermore, SS-LIBs eliminate flammability risk associated with liquid and gel-based technologies. However, conductivity issues due to crystallisation of solid polymer electrolytes (SPE) have hampered the performance of commercial SS-LIBs over a wide range of operating temperatures. This project aims to investigate novel SPE using natural halloysite clay, which exhibits exceptional ionic conductivity and facile lithium transportation. The unique surface properties such as nano-tubular morphology can create multi-dimensional pathways that enhance the conductivity of electrolyte materials. The project expects to advance fundamental knowledge, training an HDR student and generate intellectual property.
- MSc in chemical engineering, chemistry, physics or materials science
- Experience in materials synthesis and electrochemical characterisation techniques
- Knowledge of battery cell assembly
- The ability to work cooperatively in a research team with staff and students from diverse backgrounds is essential
- A high-level of communications skills, computer literacy and presentation skills
This project will be conducted 50-60 % of time at the School of Chemical Engineering, 30-40% time at Chemistry and Polymers Group, CSIRO and 10 % of time at Andromeda-Minotaur Joint Venture Exploration Ltd, Adelaide
|CSIRO Partner||Industry Partner||University of Adelaide Partner|
Energy Storage and Battery Technologies
Andromeda Metals Limited
Faculty of Engineering, Computer and Mathematical Sciences (ECMS)
|School or Centre:
Dr. Deepak P. Dubal
To apply for the Industry PhD program, you need to apply for Admission and Scholarship using the University of Adelaide’s online application form.
Applications are now open.
- Please review the generic process for submitting an application.
- In addition you will need to submit an additional information form for each project that you want to apply for.
- Specific notes on completing the online application form sections “Study Preference” and “Research Interests” are outlined below.
|Add a Study Preference|
|Study type:||Doctor of Philosophy|
|Award:||Doctor of Philosophy in (relevant study area)|
|School:||As per the Industry project outline|
|Research Area:||Choose from available drop down menu|
|Proposed study load:||Full Time|
|Proposed attendance mode:||Internal|
|Proposed start date:||Between 1/1/19 and 31/3/19 as agreed with supervisor|
Please list the titles of the projects for which you wish to apply. For exact titles, please refer back to the Adelaide CSIRO Industry PhD.
Continue completing all other sections of the online application form and upload all required documents.
If you require assistance with the online application process please contact:
Adelaide Graduate Centre Senior Scholarships Officers
Phone: +61 8 8313 3044
For any other enquiries about the CSIRO Industry PhD Program please contact:
HDR Industry Enquiries
Tel: +61 8 8313 9127
Free-call: 1800 061 459