Industry PhD Program
The University of Adelaide and CSIRO are looking for leading industry partners to help develop the next generation of researchers.
Australia has strong research capability which we need to translate into innovative products and services.
Why do this?
- Australia has excellent research institutions and innovative industries, both of which can benefit from enhanced collaboration.
- It is important to expand opportunities for work-ready and industry-focused research training and experiences, and encourage the mobility between research, industry and government sectors.
- We are all affected by accelerating trends in digital disruption, technological transformation, globalisation, etc.
- Working together industry and academia can contribute, through innovation and engagement, to the economic and social well-being of Australia.
About the program
Access to world-leading researchers and infrastructure
An elite industry focused research training program
A four year program, minimum six month industry internship
$60k from industry, with $160k from the University of Adelaide and CSIRO
A $40k p.a. scholarship to attract top PhD students
Simple IP arrangement
PhD students work in industry defined research areas
Career and professional development
Three-way supervision by the University of Adelaide, CSIRO and an industry partner
Value proposition to your company
We are looking for industry leaders to be part of an elite industry-focused research training program with the University of Adelaide and CSIRO.
As an innovative industry leader you can:
- be involved in the selection and mentoring of PhD students motivated to have a career in industry;
- support the development of PhD students, supervised by leading researchers in stateof-the-art research facilities, on topics directly related to your industry’s needs;
- access new knowledge, and support the development of your current and potential future highly-skilled workforce in a cost-effective manner;
- develop networks with top applied research experts in your field; and
- be recognised for your role in an influential industry research network.
We are asking industry partners to:
- help develop the program;
- collaborate with the University of Adelaide and CSIRO to define the research projects;
- make a financial contribution towards a PhD student’s operating and development expenses;
- work with the University of Adelaide and CSIRO to select PhD students for your research project;
- offer a minimum six month internship to the PhD student;
- dedicate staff time to mentoring, supervising and assessing PhD students.
The University of Adelaide and CSIRO contribution
The University of Adelaide and CSIRO will:
- administer and support the program;
- provide a $40k p.a. scholarship;
- provide a tailored program of coursework and skills development to the PhD student;
- deliver access to world-leading researchers and infrastructure.
The program will be launched in Q3 2018, with the first PhD students starting in early 2019. To meet these timelines, we are looking to involve industry partners in project design from June 2018, and advertise for students in Q3 or Q4 2018.
University of Adelaide
Industry Research Placement Coordinator, Nathan Crabe
Tel: +61 8 8313 9127
Free-call: 1800 061 459
Industry PhD Program Manager, Duncan Byrne