Skip to content

Our History

  • 1950's - Lloyd Cox appointed
    • 1958: Lloyd Cox appointed as Foundation Professor of the Obstetrics and Gynaecology department (O&G),
      based at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital (QEH)
  • 1960's - First biochemist appointed
    • 1962: Ron Cox appointed as a biochemist - first department of its kind to appoint a scientist
    • 1963: Lloyd Cox elected as Dean of Medicine
    • 1969: Bob Seamark appointed by Lloyd Cox
  • 1970's - First donor sperm program established
    • 1971: First frozen semen bank in Australia, and first sperm donor program established
    • 1971: Arnold Gillespie appointed Reader in Obstetrics and Gynaecology
    • 1973: O&G begins a presence at the Royal Adelaide Hospital (RAH)
    • 1977: Alastair MacLennan appointed and based at the Queen Victoria Hospital (QVH)
  • 1980's - Fertility services commenced
    • 1984: Lloyd Cox retires as Head of Department
    • 1984: Arnold Gillespie appointed as Acting Head of Department
    • 1985: O&G achieved South Australia's first birth from a frozen embryo
    • 1986: Jeffrey Robinson appointed as Head of Department
    • 1987: Colin Matthews appointed as first Professor of Reproductive Medicine
    • 1987: Part of O&G moved to the Medical School
    • 1987: Repromed established and commenced fertility services at Wakefield Memorial Hospital (WMH) and the QEH
    • 1988: Rob Norman appointed to O&G
    • 1988: Caroline Crowther appointed to O&G
    • 1988: Sarah Robertson appointed to O&G
  • 1990's - Achieved a live birth following ICSI
    • 1993:  O&G achieved a birth following Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI) - Australia was the 3rd in world to successfully use this technique
    • 1993:  O&G achieved its first birth following Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis (PGD) (cystic fibrosis) - another Australian first (5th in the world)
    • 1994:  O&G begins to have a presence at Lyell McEwin Hospital (LMH) with Paul Duggan appointed as Senior Lecturer
    • 1995:  QVH closes its doors and the Women's and Children's Hospital (WCH) opens
    • 1998:  Gus Dekker appointed as Professor in Obstetrics and Gynaecology at the LMH and the QEH
    • 1999:  Rob Norman appointed as Professor of Reproductive Medicine and Periconceptual Medicine
  • 2000's - Robinson Institute Opens
    • 2002:  Repromed moves to new premises in Dulwich
    • 2002:  Research Centre for Reproductive Health established at QEH & the Medical School
    • 2002:  Research Centre for Early Origins of Health and Disease was established by Prof Julie Owens and colleagues
    • 2006:  Jeffrey Robinson retires as Head of the Department
    • 2006:  Alastair MacLennan appointed Head of the Department
    • 2006:  Repromed sold
    • 2006:  The Research Centre for Reproductive Health and O&G moved from the QEH to form a major centre at the Medical School
    • 2008:  Planning for new building at Norwich Centre and LMH begins
    • 2008:  Robinson Institute opens with Rob Norman appointed as Director
  • 2010's - Re-named to Robinson Research Institute
    • 2012:  Alastair MacLennan retires as Head of the Department, Paul Duggan appointed as Head
    • 2013:  Rob Norman steps down and Sarah Robertson is appointed as Director of the Robinson Institute
    • 2014: The Robinson Institute is re-named to the Robinson Research Institute  

The Story of the Robinson Research Institute (1958-2013).

The Robinson Research Institute

Ground Floor, Norwich Centre 
55 King William Road 
North Adelaide SA 5006


T: +61 8 8313 1342

Find Us Online

Facebook   YouTube   Blog   Twitter

The Robinson Research Institute