Research Skill Development Workshops for Schools
Research Skill Development (RSD) Seminars and Workshops at the School level are for academics:
Gabriel Haines, Electronic Engineering Honours Student, 2010 Projects presentations
- to find out how explicit research skill development (RSD) has been implemented in courses at the undergraduate and postgraduate level at University of Adelaide and other Australian and overseas universities
- to learn of the benefits of RSD implementation and of typical difficulties encountered
- to consider the conceptual framework for RSD and adapt it to their context, and
- to develop materials based on exemplars from related disciplines.
Workshop focus will be discussed and negotiated in advance, so that it best meets the needs of the school. For example, Electrical and Electronic Engineering has focused on using the RSD at Honours level, Medical Science in first year, and Media in years two and three.
Electronic Engineering utilised the RSD to frame marking matrices for all honours project in 2010. Drs Said Al-Sarawi and Brian Ng from Electornic Engineering had developed and trialled RSD marking matrices in collaboration with CLPD in the year previous. The school has expanded its use of the RSD in 2011.
Who to Contact
To find out more about RSD workshops, or to arrange one at the School Level, contact:
Dr John Willison
School of Education
(08) 8313 3219
- Disciplines Currently Using the RSD, with Linked Examples of Resources
Areas Outside of Disciplines
- Graduate Certificate in Higher Education
- Interdisciplinary: Masters of Sustainability
- Integrated Academic program (for AusAID Students, typically commencing Masters)
- Integrated Bridging Program (for all international students enrolled in PhD)
- Student Learning Support
Previous Seminars and Workshops
- 'Students becoming researchers, researchers becoming renown': seminar and workshop presented by Li Jiang and John Willison for the School of Computer Science at the University of Adelaide, on 18 November 2009.
- 'Students becoming researchers, researchers becoming renown': seminar and workshop to be presented by Jan Schapper, Sue Mayson and John Willison for the Business School, University of Adelaide, on 19 November 2009.
- 'Students becoming researchers, researchers becoming renown': seminar presented to the School of Dentistry, University of Adelaide, on 9 November 2009.
- 'Developing and Assessing the Research Skills of Students in Engineering Courses': seminar presented by Said Al-Sarawi for the Engineering Faculty, Curtin University of Technology, 4 November 2009.
- 'Developing and Assessing the Research Skills of Students in Engineering Courses': seminar presented by Said Al-Sarawi at the School of Engineering, Edith Cowan University, 3 November 2009.
- National UniServe Science Annual Conference : Eleanor Peirce, Mario Ricci and John Willison will present the paper 'First-year Human Biology students in the ivory tower' (by Eleanor Peirce, Mario Ricci, Irene Lee and John Willison) at the 2009 National UniServe Science Annual Conference, University of Sydney, 30 September-2 October 2009.
- AISHE-C 2009 conference : Dr John Willison was a keynote speaker at the All Ireland Society for Higher Education's 2009 conference , NUI Maynooth, 27-28 August 2009.
- Monash University : 12 August: Helen Dacy, Lyn Torres and John Willison gave a Research Breakfast Presentation on RSD7.
- HERDSA 2009 : 7-9 July: Eleanor Peirce, Mario Ricci and John Willison presented the paper 'Towards student autonomy in literature and field research'.
- 'How can we enable students to critically analyse controversial topics in animal welfare?': Presentation by Susan Hazel at the Australian College of Veterinary Scientists Animal Welfare Chapter as part of Science Week 2009: Gold Coast, 4-6 July 2009.
- Designing assessments using the Research Skill Development approach: workshop presented by Dr John Willison for the School of Agriculture, Food and Wine: Boardroom, Davies Building, Roseworthy Campus, University of Adelaide, Thursday 4 June.
- Creating Rubrics for Efficient Feedback: a workshop using a Research Skill Development Approach: workshop presented by Joy McEntee, Mike Wilmore and John Willison for the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, 19 March 2009.
- Research and Teaching: Make your assessment task research based using the Research Skill Development (RSD) framework: a workshop presented to the Department of Management at Monash University, Caulfield campus, on 5 May 2009
- Developing and Assessing Students' Research Skills in the Curriculum: PowerPoint presentation from a seminar presented at the Faculty of Economics and Commerce, University of Melbourne, in 2008
- Research Skill Development in the School of Petroleum Curricula: PowerPoint presentation from a seminar given for the Australian School of Petroleum in 2008.
- Where Research and Teaching meet: a workshop presented at the School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, University of Adelaide, on 4 June 2007
- Graduating Students: Research Ready? A seminar held at the School of Medical Science, University of Adelaide, on 18 June 2007
- Enabling Graduating Students to be Research Ready: a seminar hosted by the Education Research Group of Adelaide at the University of Adelaide on 16 October 2007
- Health Numeracy through Research Skill Development: a workshop held at the School of Population Health and Clinical Practice, University of Adelaide, on 30 October 2007
- Graduating Students: Research Ready? A seminar presented at the School of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Adelaide, on 5 November 2007