Respect. Now. Always.
Along with all 38 other Australian universities, the University of Adelaide took part in the Australian Human Rights Commission's ‘Change the Course’ report into sexual harassment and sexual assault.
View the University of Adelaide's specific report.
The University committed to adopting all of the nine recommendations made by the AHRC report. View the progress against recommendations (July 2018).
Respect. Now. Always. Taskforce
Following the release of the Australian Human Rights Commission (AHRC) Change the Course report on 1 August 2017, the University of Adelaide is determined to dramatically reduce the incidence of sexual harassment and sexual assault, and to support those affected. The University has a zero tolerance approach and we all have a role to play in providing a safe, respectful and world class environment for learning and teaching.
From September - December 2017 a Respect. Now. Always. Taskforce met to consider recommendations made by the AHRC, Universities Australia, the Council of Australian Postgraduate Associations (CAPA) and the Equal Opportunity Commission (SA). Membership of the Taskforce comprised of staff, students (including student leaders) a specialist sexual violence counsellor and a Residential College representative.
At the closing Respect. Now. Always. Taskforce meeting, convened on 15 December 2017, the members agreed on a final list of 65 actions.The action plan was presented to the Vice-Chancellor’s Executive Meeting 1/18 (31 January 2018) and was endorsed for implementation throughout 2018 and 2019.
View the Respect. Now. Always. Taskforce Action Plan. Key progress is documented below.
To date 64 of 65 actions have been completed representing 98% completion. The final action is commissioning a follow-up Equal Opportunity Commission internal audit, which is scheduled for the end of 2019.
A summary of progress against the Respect. Now. Always Taskforce Action Plan will be available in December 2018. The following list highlights some of the work that has been completed:
- Development of Inclusive Language Guidelines, which are published on the HR website and Safer Campus Community website.
- Development of a range of promotional materials promoting Bystander Awareness. These will be released in January 2019.
- Implementation of a new after-hours Crisis Support phone and text line for University of Adelaide students. This will be active from January 2019.
- Human Resources are tailoring the Epigeum online program ‘Responding to Disclosures of Sexual Violence’ to the University of Adelaide context. It will be rolled out to staff in December 2018.
- Development of a Sexual Assault and Sexual Harassment Information Network (SASHIN) comprised of student-facing faculty and Professional and Continuing Education staff. This network will provide information to students on what reporting mechanisms and support are provided by the University. This network will be active by mid-2019.
- Changes will be made to Postgraduate Coordinator training requirements and will include Safer Campus Community content. Role statements will also be amended to include the responsibility to respond effectively and provide information to students in distress.
- Based on feedback from International Students, an educational resource will be developed aimed at clarifying what constitutes sexual assault and harassment, reporting options and support available. This will be released in January 2019.
- Semester 2 trial of auto-enrolling new students in Consent Matters course. This trial was successful and in 2019 all new students will be auto-enrolled in this course.
- Face to face First Responder training has being delivered to key staff and student groups including AUU Board and Staff, SRC members, student facing faculty staff and Postgraduate Coordinators.
- Amendment to the process allowing students to change their preferred name to one that better reflects their expresses their gender, culture and social identity.
- Equal Opportunities Commission (SA) completed the Phase 2 Audit; Review of Student Residential Colleges.
- Student focus groups were held to review the ease of access, use and understanding of reporting processes. The result is a new flowchart developed to clearly demonstrate what happens when a report is made to the University.
- The University and Residential Colleges have established a Charter of Student Fairness and Wellbeing.
- The University and a select group of external accommodation suppliers have established Charter of Student Fairness and Wellbeing.
Staff Students Chair
Professor Pascale Quester, DVCA
Executive Dean / Faculty representative
Professor Mike Liebelt
Executive Dean / Faculty representative
Associate Professor Suzanne Le Mire
Postgraduate Officer, SRC
Ms Céline McInerney
Women's Officer, SRC
Associate Director, Student Life
Ms Colleen Lewig
Declan Price Brooks
Pro Vice-Chancellor - Research Operations
Professor John Williams
Director, Human Resources
Ms Elysia Ryan
Logan (Loc) Le
Director, Partnerships & Corporate Relations
Ms Leah Grantham
CEO, St Marks College
Master Rose Alwyn
Chair, Gender Equity and Diversity Committee
Professor Deborah Turnbull
Ms Sharon Lockwood
Meeting Date and time Agenda Minutes 01/17 Friday 15 September, 10 am to 12 pm Agenda - meeting 1 Minutes - meeting 1 02/17 Friday 29 September, 10 am to 12 pm Agenda - meeting 2 Minutes - meeting 2 03/17 Friday 27 October, 10 am to 12 pm Agenda - meeting 3 Minutes - meeting 3 04/17 Friday 10 November, 10 am to 12 pm Agenda - meeting 4 Minutes - meeting 4 05/17 Wednesday 29 November, 10 am to 12 pm Agenda - meeting 5 Minutes - meeting 5 06/17 Friday 15 December, 10 am to 12 pm Agenda - meeting 6 Minutes - meeting 6
- Australian Human Rights Commission (AHRC) ‘Change the Course’ report
- Profile of University of Adelaide Respondents
- Universities Australia 10 Point Action Plan
- The Council of Australian Postgraduate Associations (CAPA) recommendations
- On Safe Ground: Strengthening Australian university responses to sexual assault and harassment - A Good Practice Guide for Australian Universities
- Fullstop Foundation Factsheets