Along with all 38 other Australian universities, the University of Adelaide took part in the Australian Human Rights Commission's ‘Change the Course’ report into sexual harassment and sexual assault.
View the University of Adelaide's specific report.
The University committed to adopting all of the nine recommendations made by the AHRC report. View the progress against recommendations.
Respect. Now. Always. Taskforce
Following the release of the Australian Human Rights Commission (AHRC) Change the Course report on 1 August 2017, the University of Adelaide is determined to dramatically reduce the incidence of sexual harassment and sexual assault, and to support those affected. The University has a zero tolerance approach and we all have a role to play in providing a safe, respectful and world class environment for learning and teaching.
From September - December 2017 a Respect. Now. Always. Taskforce met to consider recommendations made by the AHRC, Universities Australia, the Council of Australian Postgraduate Associations (CAPA) and the Equal Opportunity Commission (SA). Membership of the Taskforce comprised of staff, students (including student leaders) a specialist sexual violence counsellor and a Residential College representative.
At the closing Respect. Now. Always. Taskforce meeting, convened on 15 December 2017, the members agreed on a final list of 65 actions.The action plan was presented to the Vice-Chancellor’s Executive Meeting 1/18 (31 January 2018) and was endorsed for implementation throughout 2018 and 2019.
View the action plan.
To date, 58 of 65 actions have been completed representing 89% completion. A summary of key initiatives is provided below:
- The University appointed Equal Opportunities Commission (SA) to undertake a 'Review of Student Residential Colleges: Examining ways to address incidents of sexual harassment and sexual assault'. This review has now been completed.
- The University and the Residential Colleges of Adelaide established the
- The Safer Campus Community website has been updated following student focus groups that provided feedback on ease of access and use and understanding of reporting options
- Working groups comprising of staff and students have been established to specifically address issues relating to staff and student training and International students.
- Face to face First Responder training is being delivered to key staff and student groups including AUU Board and Staff, SRC members, Senior Management
- Career Readiness Community of Practice is exploring best practice regarding student support during internships and placements
- Mandatory enrolment in Consent Matters online training pilot for students commencing in Semester 2, 2018
- Inclusion of Safer Campus Community information in O'Week events and materials as well as the Student Guide and various platforms across the University
- Working closely with the Adelaide University Union and Adelaide University Sports to provide Safer Campus Community information to clubs and societies
- Amendment to process allowing students to change their preferred name.
Staff Students Chair
Professor Pascale Quester, DVCA
Executive Dean / Faculty representative
Professor Mike Liebelt
Executive Dean / Faculty representative
Associate Professor Suzanne Le Mire
Postgraduate Officer, SRC
Ms Céline McInerney
Women's Officer, SRC
Associate Director, Student Life
Ms Colleen Lewig
Declan Price Brooks
Pro Vice-Chancellor - Research Operations
Professor John Williams
Director, Human Resources
Ms Elysia Ryan
Logan (Loc) Le
Director, Partnerships & Corporate Relations
Ms Leah Grantham
CEO, St Marks College
Master Rose Alwyn
Chair, Gender Equity and Diversity Committee
Professor Deborah Turnbull
Ms Sharon Lockwood
Meeting Date and time Agenda Minutes 01/17 Friday 15 September, 10 am to 12 pm Agenda - meeting 1 Minutes - meeting 1 02/17 Friday 29 September, 10 am to 12 pm Agenda - meeting 2 Minutes - meeting 2 03/17 Friday 27 October, 10 am to 12 pm Agenda - meeting 3 Minutes - meeting 3 04/17 Friday 10 November, 10 am to 12 pm Agenda - meeting 4 Minutes - meeting 4 05/17 Wednesday 29 November, 10 am to 12 pm Agenda - meeting 5 Minutes - meeting 5 06/17 Friday 15 December, 10 am to 12 pm Agenda - meeting 6 Minutes - meeting 6
- Australian Human Rights Commission (AHRC) ‘Change the Course’ report
- Profile of University of Adelaide Respondents
- Universities Australia 10 Point Action Plan
- The Council of Australian Postgraduate Associations (CAPA) recommendations
- On Safe Ground: Strengthening Australian university responses to sexual assault and harassment - A Good Practice Guide for Australian Universities
- Fullstop Foundation Factsheets