Publications & Outputs
This section lists publications and outputs by research staff and students of the Training Centre for Innovative Wine Production in the form of papers, conference presentations and media activity.
- Peer Reviewed Publications
- Schelezki O.J., Smith P.A., Hranilovic A., Bindon K.A, Jeffery D.W. (2018) Comparison of consecutive harvests versus blending treatments to produce lower alcohol wines from Cabernet Sauvignon grapes: Impact on polysaccharide and tannin content and composition. Food Chemistry, 244, 50-59. DOI:10.1016/j.foodchem.2017.10.024
- Coetzee Z., Walker R., Deloire A., Clarke S., Barril C. Rogiers S. Impact of reduced atmospheric CO2 and varied potassium supply on carbohydrate and potassium distribution in grapevine and grape berries (Vitis vinifera L.). Plant Physiology and Biochemistry. DOI:10.1016/j.plaphy.2017.10.008
- Coetzee Z., Walker R., Deloire A., Clarke S., Barril C., Rogiers S. (2017) Spatiotemporal changes in the accumulation of sugar and potassium within single Sauvignon Blanc (Vitis vinifera L.) berries. Vitis, 56, 189-195. DOI:10.5073/vitis.2017.56.193-195
- Rogiers S.Y., Coetzee Z.A., Deloire A, Walker RR, Tyerman SD. (2017). Potassium in the grape (Vitis vinifera L.) berry: transport and function. Frontiers in Plant Science, 8, 1629. DOI:10.3389/fpls.2017.01629
- Setford P.C., Jeffery D.W., Grbin P.R., Muhlack, R.A. (2017) Factors affecting extraction and evolution of objective quality compounds during red wine maceration and the role of process modelling. Trends in Food Science & Technology, 69, Part A, 106-117. DOI:10.1016/j.tifs.2017.09.005
- Longo R., Blackman J., Antalick G., Torley P., Rogiers S., Schmidtke L. (2017) Harvesting and blending options for lower alcohol wines: A chemical and sensory investigation. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture. DOI:10.1002/jsfa.8434
- Hranilovic A, Bely M, Masneuf-Pomarede I, Jiranek V, Albertin W (2017) The evolution of Lachancea thermotolerans is driven by geographical determination, anthropisation and flux between different ecosystems. PLoS ONE, 12 (9), e0184652
- Longo R., J.W. Blackman, P.J. Torley, S.Y. Rogiers and L.M. Schmidtke (2017). Changes in volatile composition and sensory attributes of wines during alcohol content reduction. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, 97(1) 8-16. DOI:10.1002/jsfa.7757. FEATURE COVER ARTICLE
- Li S., Bindon K., Bastian S.E.P., Jiranek V., and Wilkinson K.L. (2017). Use of winemaking supplements to modify the composition and sensory properties of Shiraz wine. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 65 (7), 1353–1364. DOI:10.1021/acs.jafc.6b04505
- Bindon K., Li S., Kassara S., and Smith P. (2016). Retention of proanthocyanidin in wine-like solution is conferred by a dynamic interaction between soluble and insoluble grape cell wall components. Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry, 64(44), 8406-8419. DOI:10.1021/acs.jafc.6b02900
- Wollan D., Pham D-T., Wilkinson K. (2016) Changes in wine ethanol content due to evaporation from wine glasses and implications for sensory analysis. Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry, 64 (40), pp 7569–7575. DOI:10.1021/acs.jafc.6b02691
- Bruwer J., Jiranek V., Halstead L., Saliba A. (2014) Lower alcohol wines in the UK market: some baseline consumer behaviour metrics. British Food Journal, 116:1143 – 1161. DOI:10.1108/BFJ-03-2013-0077
- Conference Proceedings
- Qesja, B., R. Crouch, and P. Quester (2016) Innovating Traditional Products: “Self-Sacrifice vs. Product Authenticity”. 9th Academy of Wine Business Research Conference, at Adelaide Australia
- Ristic R. and Jiranek V. (2016) A national initiative aimed at developing a multi-faceted approach to managing alcohol and flavour, 62nd German Winegrowers’ Congress proceedings, 27–30 November 2016, Stuttgart, Germany
- Selected Presentations
- 1st International Symposium on Alcohol level reduction in wine - Bordeaux, September 2013
- Industry Articles
- Qesja B. (2016) Product innovation and Authenticity: The case of wine. Wine & Viticulture Journal, 31 (2), p 67-69.
- Wollan, D., Pham, D-T, Wilkinson, K. (2016) Alcohol: Changes in wine ethanol content due to evaporation from wine glasses. Wine & Viticulture Journal, 31 (6), 32-35.
- Ristic, R., Hranilovic, H., Li S., Longo, R., Pham, D-T., Qesja, B., Schelezki, O., Jiranek, V. (2016) Integrated strategies to moderate the alcohol content of wines. Wine & Viticulture Journal 31 (5), 33-38.
- Wine101x claims two national awards. Australian & New Zealand Grapegrower and Winemaker, December 2015 Issue 623, 12.
- Ristic, R (2015) New training centre projects to deliver new tools and optimise existing practices for industry. Wine & Viticulture Journal, July/August, 20-24.
- Waterhouse A.L., Sacks G.L. and Jeffery D.W. (2016) Understanding wine chemistry, John Wiley and Sons, Ltd: West Sussex UK; 480 pp.