Publications & Outputs
This section lists publications and outputs by research staff and students of the Training Centre for Innovative Wine Production in the form of papers, conference presentations and media activity.
- Peer Reviewed Publications
- Van der Hulst L., Munguia P., Culbert, J. A., Ford, C. M., Burton, R. A., Wilkinson, K. L. (2019) Accumulation of volatile phenol glycoconjugates in grapes, following the application of kaolin and/or smoke to grapevines (Vitis vinifera cv Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay and Merlot). Planta DOI:10.1007/s00425-018-03079-x
- Li S., Bindon K. A, Bastian S. E., Wilkinson K. L. (2018) Impact of commercial oenotannin and mannoprotein products on the sensory properties of Shiraz wines made from fruit harvested at two levels of maturity. Foods 7(12), 204; DOI: 10.3390/foods7120204
- Clarke S. J., Rogiers S. Y. (2018) The role of fruit exposure in the late season decline of grape berry mesocarp cell vitality. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry, 135, 69-76. DOI: 10.1016/j.plaphy.2018.11.025
- Liang C., Boss P. K., Jeffery D. W. (2018) Extraction properties of new polymeric sorbents applied to wine. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 66, 10086-10096. DOI: 10.1021/acs.jafc.8b04641
- Fahey D. J. and Rogiers S.Y. (2018) Di-1-p-menthene reduces grape leaf and bunch transpiration. Australian Journal of Grape and Wine Research, DOI: 10.1111/ajgw.12371
Hranilovic A, J.M. Gambetta, L. Schmidtke, P. K. Boss, P. R. Grbin, I. Masneuf-Pomarede, M. Bely, W. Albertin, V. Jiranek (2018) Oenological traits of Lachancea thermotolerans show signs of domestication and allopatric differentiation. Scientific Reports, 8, 14812, DOI: 10.1038/s41598-018-33105-7
Xiao Z., Liao S., Rogiers S. Y., Sadras V. O., Tyerman S. D. (2018) Effect of water stress and elevated temperature on hypoxia and cell death in the mesocarp of Shiraz berries. Australian Journal of Grape and Wine Research, 24, 487–497. DOI: 10.1111/ajgw.12363
- Liang C., Jeffery D. W. and Taylor D. K. (2018) Preparation of magnetic polymers for the elimination of 3-Isobutyl-2-methoxypyrazine from wine. Molecules, 23(5), 1140. DOI:10.3390/molecules2305114
- Tondini F., Jiranek V., Grbin P. and Onetto C. (2018) Genome sequence of Australian indigenous wine yeast Torulaspora delbrueckii COFT01 using Nanopore sequencing. Genome Announcements (genomeA), 6:e00321-18. DOI: 10.1128/genomeA.00321-18
- Longo R., Blackman J.W., Antalick G., Torley P.J., Rogiers S.Y., Schmidtke L. M. (2018) Volatile and sensory profiling of Shiraz wine in response to alcohol management: comparison of harvest timing versus technological approaches. Food Research International, 109, 561-571. DOI:10.1016/j.foodres.2018.04.057
- Chen L., Capone D.L., Tondini F.A. and Jeffery D. W. (2018) Chiral polyfunctional thiols and their precursors upon winemaking with five Vitis vinifera Sauvignon Blanc clones. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 66, 4674-4682. DOI:10.1021/acs.jafc.8b01806
- Xiao Z., Rogiers S., Sadras V. and Tyerman S.D. (2018) Hypoxia in grape berries: the role of seed respiration and lenticels on the berry pedicel and the possible link to cell death. Journal of Experimental Botany, 69 (8) 2071-2083. DOI:10.1093/jxb/ery039
- Kreitman, G.Y., Elias, R.J., Jeffery, D.W. and Sacks, G.L. (2018) Loss and formation of malodorous volatile sulfhydryl compounds during wine storage. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition. Published online: 16 Feb 2018. DOI:10.1080/10408398.2018.1427043
- Muhlack R.A., Potumarthi R and Jeffery D.W. (2018) Sustainable wineries through waste valorisation: A review of grape marc utilisation for value-added products. Waste Management, 72, 99-118. DOI:10.1016/j.wasman.2017.11.011
- Schelezki O.J., Suklje K., Boss P.K. and Jeffery D.W. (2018) Comparison of consecutive harvests versus blending treatments to produce lower alcohol wines from Cabernet Sauvignon grapes: Impact on wine volatile composition and sensory properties. Food Chemistry, 259, 196-206. DOI:10.1016/j.food.chem.2018.03.118
- Longo R., Blackman J.W., Antalick G., Torley P.J., Rogiers S.Y., Schmidtke L.M. (2018) A comparative study of partial dealcoholisation versus early harvest: Effects on wine volatile and sensory profiles. Food Chemistry, 261, 21-29. DOI:10.1016/j.foodchem.2018.04.013
- Schelezki O.J., Smith P.A., Hranilovic A., Bindon K.A and Jeffery D.W. (2018) Comparison of consecutive harvests versus blending treatments to produce lower alcohol wines from Cabernet Sauvignon grapes: Impact on polysaccharide and tannin content and composition. Food Chemistry, 244, 50-59. DOI:10.1016/j.foodchem.2017.10.024
- Li, S., Wilkinson, K.L. and Bindon, K.A. Compositional variability in commercial tannin and mannoprotein products. American Journal of Enology and Viticulture, 69, 176-181. DOI:10.5344/ajev.2017.17057
- Hranilovic A, Li S, Boss PK, Bindon K, Ristic R, Grbin PR, Van der Westhuizen T and Jiranek V. (2018) Chemical and sensory profiling of Shiraz wines co-fermented with commercial non-Saccharomyces inocula. Australian Journal of Grape and Wine Research, 24, 166–180. DOI:10.1111/ajgw.12320
- Ristic R., van der Hulst L. Capone D.L. and Wilkinson K.L. (2017) Impact of bottle aging on smoke tainted wines from different grape cultivars. Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry, 65, 4146−4152. DOI:10.1021/acs.jafc.7b01233
- Coetzee Z., Walker R., Deloire A., Clarke S., Barril C. Rogiers S. (2017) Impact of reduced atmospheric CO2 and varied potassium supply on carbohydrate and potassium distribution in grapevine and grape berries (Vitis vinifera L.). Plant Physiology and Biochemistry, 120, 252-260. DOI:10.1016/j.plaphy.2017.10.008
- Coetzee Z., Walker R., Deloire A., Clarke S., Barril C., Rogiers S. (2017) Spatiotemporal changes in the accumulation of sugar and potassium within single Sauvignon Blanc (Vitis vinifera L.) berries. Vitis, 56, 189-195. DOI:10.5073/vitis.2017.56.193-195
- Rogiers S.Y., Coetzee Z.A., Deloire A, Walker RR, Tyerman SD. (2017). Potassium in the grape (Vitis vinifera L.) berry: transport and function. Frontiers in Plant Science, 8, 1629. DOI:10.3389/fpls.2017.01629
- Setford P.C., Jeffery D.W., Grbin P.R., Muhlack, R.A. (2017) Factors affecting extraction and evolution of objective quality compounds during red wine maceration and the role of process modelling. Trends in Food Science & Technology, 69, Part A, 106-117. DOI:10.1016/j.tifs.2017.09.005
- Longo R., Blackman J., Antalick G., Torley P., Rogiers S., Schmidtke L. (2017) Harvesting and blending options for lower alcohol wines: A chemical and sensory investigation. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture. DOI:10.1002/jsfa.8434
- Hranilovic A, Bely M, Masneuf-Pomarede I, Jiranek V, Albertin W (2017) The evolution of Lachancea thermotolerans is driven by geographical determination, anthropisation and flux between different ecosystems. PLoS ONE, 12 (9), e0184652. DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0184652
- Longo R., J.W. Blackman, P.J. Torley, S.Y. Rogiers and L.M. Schmidtke (2017). Changes in volatile composition and sensory attributes of wines during alcohol content reduction. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, 97(1) 8-16. DOI:10.1002/jsfa.7757. FEATURE COVER ARTICLE
- Li S., Bindon K., Bastian S.E.P., Jiranek V., and Wilkinson K.L. (2017). Use of winemaking supplements to modify the composition and sensory properties of Shiraz wine. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 65 (7), 1353–1364. DOI:10.1021/acs.jafc.6b04505
- Jeffery D.W. (2016) Spotlight on varietal thiols and precursors in grapes and wines. Australian Journal of Chemistry, 69, pp. 1323-1330. DOI:10.1071/CH16296
- Bindon K., Li S., Kassara S., and Smith P. (2016). Retention of proanthocyanidin in wine-like solution is conferred by a dynamic interaction between soluble and insoluble grape cell wall components. Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry, 64(44), 8406-8419. DOI:10.1021/acs.jafc.6b02900
- Wollan D., Pham D-T., Wilkinson K. (2016) Changes in wine ethanol content due to evaporation from wine glasses and implications for sensory analysis. Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry, 64 (40), pp 7569–7575. DOI:10.1021/acs.jafc.6b02691
- Bruwer J., Jiranek V., Halstead L., Saliba A. (2014) Lower alcohol wines in the UK market: some baseline consumer behaviour metrics. British Food Journal, 116:1143 – 1161. DOI:10.1108/BFJ-03-2013-0077
- Conference Proceedings
- Qesja, B., R. Crouch, and P. Quester (2016) Innovating Traditional Products: “Self-Sacrifice vs. Product Authenticity”. 9th Academy of Wine Business Research Conference, at Adelaide Australia
- Ristic R. and Jiranek V. (2016) A national initiative aimed at developing a multi-faceted approach to managing alcohol and flavour, 62nd German Winegrowers’ Congress proceedings, 27–30 November 2016, Stuttgart, Germany
- Wilkinson K. and Jiranek V. (2013) Consumer demand vs industry willingness and ability to deliver. Proceedings of the 1st International Symposium on Alcohol Reduction in Wine. pp 98-104
- Selected Presentations
- 1st International Symposium on Alcohol level reduction in wine - Bordeaux, September 2013
- Industry Articles
- Xiao Z., Liao S., Rogiers S., Sadras V. and Tyerman S. (2019) Are berries suffocating to death under high temperature and water stress? Wine & Viticulture Journal 34 (1) 42-45.
- Longo R., Ristic R., Leigh Schimdtke L. (2019) Low alcohol wines: blending with an early harvest or dealcoholisation of a later harvest? Wine & Viticulture Journal 34 (1) 32-35.
- Li S., Wilkinson K., Bindon K., Bastian S. and Ristic R. (2018) Winemaking supplements: what is inside? Wine & Viticulture Journal 33 (3), 30-33.
- Liang C., Jeffery D. (2018) Magnetic particles make wine fine. Australasian Science, Nov/Dec: 36-38.
- Ristic R., van der Hulst L. and Wilkinson K. (2018) Development of smoke taint in wine during bottle aging. Wine & Viticulture Journal, 33 (2), 15-18.
- Ristic R., Schelezki O. and Jeffery D. (2018) Water into wine: pre-fermentation strategies for producing lower alcohol wines. Wine & Viticulture Journal, 33 (1), 26-29.
- Qesja B. (2016) Product innovation and Authenticity: The case of wine. Wine & Viticulture Journal, 31 (2), p 67-69.
- Wollan, D., Pham, D-T, Wilkinson, K. (2016) Alcohol: Changes in wine ethanol content due to evaporation from wine glasses. Wine & Viticulture Journal, 31 (6), 32-35.
- Ristic, R., Hranilovic, H., Li S., Longo, R., Pham, D-T., Qesja, B., Schelezki, O., Jiranek, V. (2016) Integrated strategies to moderate the alcohol content of wines. Wine & Viticulture Journal 31 (5), 33-38.
- Wine101x claims two national awards. Australian & New Zealand Grapegrower and Winemaker, December 2015 Issue 623, 12.
- Ristic, R (2015) New training centre projects to deliver new tools and optimise existing practices for industry. Wine & Viticulture Journal, July/August, 20-24.
- Waterhouse A.L., Sacks G.L. and Jeffery D.W. (2016) Understanding wine chemistry, John Wiley and Sons, Ltd: West Sussex UK; 480 pp.