International Incubator Program
The ThincLab International Incubator Program will assist Australian startups and businesses expand into Asia and Europe.
A pathway to global success
The program aims to maximise the potential for global commercial success of Australian startups and businesses by developing their internationalisation readiness in Australia and then embedding a selection of those in supported international ecosystems within the University’s ThincLabs in France and Singapore.
It will provide startups and businesses with access to global customers and markets as well as helping them overcome the lack of networks and support that often businesses encounter when entering new international markets.
There are two key components to the program. The first is a 6-week intensive internationalisation program (available online for regional and interstate participants).
- Each participant in the 6-week program will be provided with a mentor, capital raising opportunities, networking opportunities and access to key University resources including use of a hot desk in ThincLab Adelaide.
- In the 6 week program, the following modules will be covered:
- Doing Business in France/Singapore.
- World-wide Opportunity Identification and Value Proposition.
- International Business Model Development.
- International Financial Modelling and New Venture Finance.
- International Law.
- Pitching and Communication across Borders.
- 60 startups/businesses will be selected to undertake the internationalisation program over three cohorts (20 per cohort).
The second component is the International Expansion Implementation. Following the 6-week program 18 startups/businesses (6 per cohort) will be selected to travel to either ThincLab Châlons (France) or ThincLab Singapore to undergo incubation for a period of up to 12 months. These startups/businesses will be exposed to a range of contacts, mentors, networking events, and facilities, ultimately assisting them to immerse in the culture, society and business world of Europe or Asia.
The 18 successful startups will be eligible for a return flight to either France or Singapore, an allowance for accommodation and incidentals, and all incubation costs will be covered.
Eligibility and selection
The ThincLab International Incubator Program is open to any startup or business from Australia.
The International Incubator Program has a two-step application process:
Selection for the 6-week internationalisation program will be based on the merit of the application as well as a screening interview. Factors taken into consideration will be:
- Potential for the business to successfully internationalise within the next 5 years.
- The capacity and capability of the applicant/s.
- Potential for the program to support business with its objectives.
Selection for the International expansion Implementation component of the program (incubation in either ThincLab Châlons or ThincLab Singapore) will occur at the conclusion of the 6-week internationalisation program. Selection will be based on:
- Overall Performance in 6 week program.
- Development of a strategic internationalisation action plan.
- Commitment to spending a minimum of 3 months in Incubation at an International Incubator.
Applicants for this component will be required to pitch to a selection panel comprised of a representative from the University of Adelaide, a representative from entrepreneurial/business community/government and a representative from overseas ThincLab of choice.
The final decision as to which startups/businesses will be accepted into the program will be made by a selection panel comprising:
- The International Incubator Program Director.
- Director, ECIC.
- External panel member.
Unsuccessful applicants can apply again for future cohorts.
Acceptance into the 6-week internationalisation program does not guarantee selection for International Expansion Implementation (incubation in ThincLab Châlons or ThincLab Singapore).
|Cohort 1||Cohort 2||Cohort 3|
14 June 2019
1 December 2019
1 August 2020
6-week intensive internationalisation program commences
1 July 2019
13 January 2020
1 September 2020
Incubation in ThincLab Châlons or ThincLab Singapore for selected startups/businesses commences
September 2019 onwards
March 2020 onwards
November 2020 onwards
The project is supported by the Australian Government Department of Industry, Innovation and Science through Incubator Support Initiative funding as part of the Entrepreneurs' Programme.