Information for Prospective and Current Participants
What does the STARSS Study involve?
Before your vaccination is administered, your doctor or nurse will inform you that the practice is participating in the STARSS Study and will explain what the Study involves and answer any questions you may have. You will receive a Participant Information Sheet and if you wish to participate in the Study, will be asked to sign a Consent Form. For participants below the legal age, a parent, legal guardian, or person with power of attorney will also sign the Consent Form.
If you consent, the following information about you or your child will be collected:
- Name, gender, date of birth and postcode
- Your mobile phone contact details
- Vaccination details (date and time of vaccination, vaccine brand and batch)
After your vaccination, you may receive SMS text messages over the following two weeks. These texts will ask if you have visited a health professional or hospital or contacted Healthdirect. At this point, you can simply reply "Yes" or "No".
Approximately four weeks after the vaccination, a small group of participants will be contacted by the STARSS research staff and asked to participate in a short survey. This survey will ask about your views on SMS messaging, vaccine safety and privacy. Participation is completely voluntary and you may withdraw at any stage.
Are you interested in being part of a very important study on vaccine safety? If you or your child (male or female, of any age) are visiting a general practice to receive a vaccination in South Australia, Victoria or Western Australia, you/your child may be eligible to participate.
- be 18 years old and over (e.g. no consenting minors)
- possess a mobile phone
- be the parent or legal guardian (if the participant receiving the vaccination is a child)
- have sufficient understanding of the English language to comprehend the Study's Participant Information Sheet and to correctly interpret the Study SMS messages
Unfortunately, you will be ineligible to participate in this Study if you:
- are a consenting minor
- require an interpreter
- share mobile phone use
- will be in outback locations or overseas for the two weeks following the vaccination
If you are interested in learning more about the Study or becoming a STARSS participant, please contact us.