Each year, University Collections present an active program of public events, engaging the broader community with a wide range of the arts and other cultural aspects of university life. Through this work we promote university values and enhance the university experience for students, staff and the interested public.
University Collections events are free, unless otherwise indicated.
2017 Cultural Program
2017 program of events
We invite you all to enjoy our diverse and stimulating program.
Join the University Collections team and our Roseworthy Colleagues for University Collections' end of year Cultural Celebration with a special welcome by Professor Wayne Hein, Head, School of Animal and Veterinary Science and Dean, Roseworthy Campus the University of Adelaide and a tour of the Museum by Geoff Nowak, Museum Manager.
6pm until dusk, Monday 20th November 2017
Roseworthy Agricultural Museum
To RSVP and reserve your seat on the complimentary bus (BOOKINGS ESSENTIAL) please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 8313 3086. The bus will depart from gate 9, Victoria Drive, North Terrace Campus at 4.30pm and depart from Roseworthy at 8.00pm to return to Victoria Drive.
Please see the event flier for further details or call us on 8313 3086.
The Department of English and Creative Writing, in collaboration with University Collections of the University of Adelaide present The South with Nobel Laureate, JM Coetzee; Australian novelist and academic, Gail Jones; and Miles Franklin awardee, Alexis Wright with Nicholas Jose, Professor of English and Creative Writing, the University of Adelaide. In a conversation with readings, four writers discuss their experience of writing in an from the South as seen through Southern eyes? Can it be free of the weight of the Northern gaze?
Join us from 6.00pm-7.30pm on Thursday 23rd November at Elder Hall, the University of Adelaide, North Terrace campus. The event is free and everyone is welcome.
Please register your attendance on Eventbrite.
For further information please see event flier or call 8313 3086.
University Collections presents Cultural Illumination Leo Greenfield - Drawn to the City. Each month in 2017, South Australian artist and University of Adelaide graduate Leo Greenfield creates illustrated biographical notes on residents of our city, including the University, which are then published in the Adelaide Review. In collaboration with University Collections, Leo's series of illustrated biographical notes will be presented to the University as they unfold. Visit the exhibition at the University Collections' Hub Display Wall, level 3, Hub Central, North Terrace Campus.
- Cultural Oration - Finding the next wave: Innovation and its Discontents with Greg Mackie OAM, Chief Executive Officer, History Trust of South Australia.
You can now listen to a recording of the Cultural Oration given by Greg on Thursday 13 July 2017.
- Cultural Oration - Plants & Civilisation: Past, Present and Future by Professor Bob Hill, Executive Dean, Faculty of Sciences and Director, Environment Institute, the Unviersity of Adelaide.
You can now listen to a recording of the Scientific Oration given by Professor Hill on Thursday 10 August 2017.
- Cultural Conversation - Windows into other worlds with Jennifer Osborn, Research Librarian, Barr Smith Library, the University of Adelaide; In Conversation with writers Rebekah Clarkson and Lynette Washington.
You can now listen to a recording of the Cultural Conversation with Jennifer, Rebekah and Lynette on Thursday 7th September 2017.
- Cultural Illuminations: small, focused exhibitions relating the essence of the University - learning, research, innovation - through the arts. This program creates pathways for local, national and international artists to connect with the university.
- Cultural Conversations: informal forums for art and culture to meet science, technology and other academic research areas. The Conversations have been a major mechanism for linking diverse disciplines within the university as well as hosting national and international speakers.
- Cultural and Scientific Orations: a platform for leading scholars to present a lecture on their area of research.
- Cultural Celebrations: special events acknowledging significant occasions in the life of the university community.
- Cultural Tours: guided tours by University Collections volunteers highlighting special features of the university - artworks, collections, buildings and other items of interest.
- Cultural Musings: collaborations with industry partners through the presentation of panel discussions, tours, lectures or symposia addressing common concerns and interests.
If you are interested in contributing to our program, wish to be informed about events or would like to attend a cultural tour, please contact us via email.
Program & event archive
For past University Collections cultural programs and events, please see our event archive.