Skip to content
South Australian Photographs 1880- 1900 - State Library of South Australia
- Adelaide: Early views of Adelaide [B 71003/1-15] Various views from 1849 - 1892.
- Adelaide: Adelaide and the Adelaide Hills [B72115/1-31] Album of views from about 1875-1890.
- Beaches: Glenelg [B6041] Beach scene during December on Proclamation Day in 1892 at Glenelg. Many spectators and horse drawn carriages line the beach seeking shade. The jetty is full of people enjoying the celebrations of Proclamation Day. Many small boats and two ships are steaming past the jetty.
- Children: Children from local Angaston families [B57460] The photograph provides good examples of children's clothing in 1895.
- Children: Studio view [PRG 280/1/2/519] of a small boy wearing a lace trimmed dress and holding a toy cart in 1895.
- Cricket: South Australian Cricket Team [B10311] The South Australian team that played in Sydney in November 1892.
- Dressmaking: Millinery and Dressmaking Shop [B47852] Miss Bessie Toy's millinery and dressmaking shop on Norwood Parade, with staff outside in 1890.
- Fire Fighting: Fire Brigade [BRG 347/822] Fire Brigade possibly outside Mount Gambier Fire Station.
- Fire Fighting: Wakefield Street [B7399] The Metropolitan Fire Brigade on the south side of Wakefield Street, 30 September 1892. You can see some girls playing on the right hand side of the photograph.
- Music: Musical group, Torrens Park ballroom [PRG 742] Large musical group in about 1890 in the Torrens Park ballroom at Mitcham (the home of Robert and Joanna Barr Smith.)
- Railways: Railway Station, Adelaide [B1725] Adelaide Railway Station, showing the station year, looking west from the Overway Bridge in 1889. A small locomotive steams past men loading their horse drawn carts with firewood.
- Railways: Gawler rail ticket [B421126] Memento ticket for first train ride to Gawler from Adelaide on the first locomotive manufactured in South Australia by James Martin and Co. in 11 April 1890.
- Railways: Railway Station, Adelaide [B1723] A morning train has arrived and people leaving the station are walking across North Terrace in 1889.
- Railways: Railway Station, Adelaide [B1727] The workshop in the Adelaide Roadway year in 1889. The machinery is driven by a complex system of belts and pulleys which distribute power from a steam engine.
- Telegraph and Newspapers: Grenfell Street, Adelaide [PRG 742/5/17] Grenfell Street, Adelaide, viewed from King William Street in about 1883. The 'Register' newspaper building is seen in the centre with its tower. In the foreground is a telegraph pole showing the insulators and the web of wires over the street.
- Tennis: Women and girls playing tennis [B73558] Women and girls playing tennis on a court close to a house in about 1880.
- Transport: Tandem 'Instantaneous' [PRG 742/5/5] Two horses and driver outside stables in about 1880.