Study Overseas

Have you wondered if you could travel overseas, experience other cultures, develop global networks and broaden your real world experience, all while completing requirements of your program? You can!

Wirltu Yarlu works in conjunction with the Study Overseas office to enable our students to go on overseas experiences throughout the year. Whether it is a semester exchange or short study tour, we are here to help you find out how this can fit within your program of study.

Students of Wirltu Yarlu have the opportunity to:

  • Take part in a semester exchange overseas for course credit
  • Complete an industry placement overseas
  • Take part in a study tour overseas for elective credit
  • How do I arrange my overseas experience?

    Exchange programs and study tours can be found on the Study Overseas website.

    Some exchange programs are open to undergraduate and postgraduate students, while others are limited to specific disciplines or faculty areas. Both Domestic and International students are encouraged to apply.

    To apply for an exchange take note of the eligibility requirements and ensure you are applying within the right round for your desired study period. The current round and deadline will be shown on the Study Overseas homepage, but deadlines for Semester 1 usually fall in June of the preceding year, and for Semester 2 in October of the preceding year.

    Applicants for exchange apply through the Global Learning Application System (GLAS) for three preferences of university. Faculties assist in the exchange application process by providing degree checks and credit approval, but the application process is managed by Study Overseas.

    Study Tours are short programs for predetermined course credit governed by the University of Adelaide academic areas. You may hear about opportunities from your course coordinators or by finding them at Study Overseas. Applicants for these programs apply through the Global Learning Application System, but the local academic area manages selection and information.

    Internships, placements and other types of independent overseas study experiences aren’t initiated through an application to the Study Overseas Office, but once organised should be reported through the Global Learning Application System self-reporting portal for risk management and insurance purposes.

  • When can I go?

    Study Tours usually occur during university holidays, e.g. Winter School. 

    For exchanges you’ll need to be able to study full time for the duration of your program, and make sure you’re not missing core courses in crucial semesters if you don’t want to extend your program. 

    Wirltu Yarlu usually recommends students go on exchange in the second semester of their second year.

  • Further information

    For further information, please refer to the Study Overseas website.