Dr Ann McNeill
After a career in academia of some 35 years Dr Ann McNeill retired from teaching and research project management in December 2014. She was awarded the status of Adjunct Associate Professor in the School of Agriculture, Food & Wine and remains active in the communication of issues associated with Soil Science and Agronomy in Agricultural Systems to a wide range of audiences. In recognition of her achievements in this arena she received the 2015 Teakle Award from the Soil Science Society of Australia. During 2016 she has contributed to the Decadal Plan for Agriculture being prepared by the National Committee for Agriculture, Fisheries and Food within the Australian Academy of Science.
Recent Book/Book chapters
Davey RS, McNeill AM, Barnett SJ and Gupta VVSR (2010) Influence of carbon input to soil on populations of specific organisms linked to biological disease suppression of Rhizoctonia root rot pp 61-65 In: The Rovira Symposium Ed VVSR Gupta The Crawford Fund
Ryan J, Ibrikci H, Sommer R and McNeill A (2009) Nitrogen in Rainfed and Irrigated Cropping Systems in the Mediterranean Region In Advances in Agronomy Ed. D L Sparks pp 53-135. Academic Press.
McNeill A.M. and Unkovich M.J (2007) The Nitrogen Cycle in Terrestrial Ecosystems pp37-64 In "Nutrient Cycling in Terrestrial Ecosystems" Ed: Z. Rengel and P. Marschner Springer Verlag
Unkovich M.J., Pate J.S., McNeill A.M. and Gibbs J. Editors (2001) Stable Isotope Techniques in the study of Biological Processes and Functioning of Ecosystems. Kluwer Academic Publishers Amsterdam.
Chalk PM, Peoples MB, McNeill AM, Boddey RM, Unkovich MJ, Gardener MJ, Silva CF, Chen DL (2014) Methodologies for estimating nitrogen transfer between legumes and companion species in agro-ecosystems: A review of 15N-enriched techniques Soil Biology and Biochemistry 73 , 10-21
Richardson A, Barea J-M, McNeill A, Prigent-Combaret C (2009) Acquisition of phosphorus and nitrogen in the rhizosphere and plant growth promotion by microorganisms. Plant and Soil 321, 305-339.
McNeill AM and Penfold CM (2009) Potential agronomic options for management of phosphorus in Australian rain-fed organic and low input broadacre farming systems Crop and Pasture Science 60 (2) 163-182
Recent journal publications
1. Foyjunnessa, McNeill A, Doolette A, Mason S, McLaughlin MJ (2016) Use of 33P to trace in situ the fate of canola below-ground phosphorus, including wheat uptake in two contrasting soils. Crop and Pasture Science 67, 726-738
2. Moata M, Doolette A, Smernik R, McNeill A, Macdonald L (2016) Organic phosphorus speciation in Australian Red Chromosols: stoichiometric control Soil Research 54, 11-19
3. Foyjunnessa, McNeill A, Doolette A, Mason S, McLaughlin MJ (2016) Quantifying total phosphorus accumulation below-ground by canola and lupin plants using P-33-labelling Plant and Soil 401, 39-50
4. Smith S, Manjarrez M, Stonor R, McNeill A, Smith, FA (2015) Indigenous arbuscular mycorrhizal (AM) fungi contribute to wheat phosphate uptake in a semi-arid field environment, shown by tracking with radioactive phosphorus Applied Soil Ecology 96, 68-74
5. Moata M, Smernik R, Doolette A, McNeill A, Macdonald L (2015) Improving Sensitivity of Solution P-31 NMR Analysis in Australian Xeralfs Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis 46, 1034-1043
6. Zhang Y, Mason S, McNeill A , McLaughlin MJ (2014) Application of the diffusive gradients in thin films technique for available potassium measurement in agricultural soils: Effects of competing cations on potassium uptake by the resin gel Analytica Chimica Acta 842, 27-34
7. Foyjunnessa, McNeill A, Doolette A, Mason S, McLaughlin MJ (2014) In situ P-33-labelling of canola and lupin to estimate total phosphorus accumulation in the root system Plant and Soil 382, 291-299
8. Zhang YL, Mason, S, McNeill A, McLaughlin MJ (2013) Optimization of the diffusive gradients in thin films (DGT) method for simultaneous assay of potassium and plant-available phosphorus in soils Talanta 113, 123-129
9. Mason SD, McLaughlin MJ, Johnston C, McNeill, A (2013) Soil test measures of available P (Colwell, resin and DGT) compared with plant P uptake using isotope dilution Plant and Soil 373, 711-722
10. Shaw RE, Meyer, WS, McNeill A, Tyerman SD (2013) Waterlogging in Australian agricultural landscapes: a review of plant responses and crop models Crop and Pasture Science 64 549-562
11. Marchuk A, Rengasamy P, McNeill A (2013) Influence of organic matter, clay mineralogy, and pH on the effects of CROSS on soil structure is related to the zetapotential of the dispersed clay Soil Research 51, 34-40
12. Marchuk A, Rengasamy P, McNeill A, Kumar A. (2012) Nature of the clay-cation bond affects soil structure as verified by X-ray computed tomography. Soil Research 50 (8), 638-644
13. Alamgir Md, McNeill A; Tang C, Marschner P (2012) Changes in soil P pools during legume residue decomposition: Soil Biology & Biochemistry 49, 70-77
14. Jassogne, L; Hettiarachchi, G; McNeill A; Chittleborough, D (2012) Characterising the chemistry of micropores in a sodic soil with strong texture-contrast using synchrotron X-ray techniques and LA-ICP-MS Soil Research 50 (5),424-435
15. Mat Hassan,Hasnuri; Marschner,Petra; McNeill,Ann; Tang,C (2012) Grain legume pre-crops and their residues affect the growth, P uptake and size of P pools in the rhizosphere of the following wheat Biol.Fert.Soils 48, 775-785
16. Mat Hassan H, Marschner P, McNeill A and Tang C (2012) Growth, P uptake in grain legumes and changes in rhizosphere soil P pools. Biol.Fert.Soils 48, 151-159.
17. Tracy S R, Black C R, Roberts J A, McNeill A, Davidson R, Tester M, Samec M, Korosak D, Sturrock C and Mooney S J (2012) Quantifying the effect of soil compaction on three varieties of wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) using X-ray Micro Computed Tomography (CT). Plant Soil 353, 195-208.
18. Flavel R J, Guppy C N, Tighe M, Watt M, McNeill A and Young I M (2012) Non-destructive quantification of cereal roots in soil using high-resolution X-ray tomography. Journal of Experimental Botany 63, 2503-2511.
19. Butterly CR, McNeill AM, Baldock JA and Marschner P (2011) Changes in water content of two agricultural soils does not alter labile P and C pools Plant and Soil 348 185-201.
20. Hancock J M, McNeill A M, McDonald G K and Holloway R E (2011) Fate of fertiliser N applied to wheat on a coarse textured highly calcareous soil under simulated semi-arid conditions. Plant Soil 348, 139-153.
21. Hasbullah H, Marschner P and McNeill A (2011) Legume residue influence arbuscular mycorrhiza colonisation and P uptake by wheat Biol Fertil Soils 47, 701-707.
22. Butterly C R, McNeill A M, Baldock J A and Marschner P (2011) Rapid changes in carbon and phosphorus after rewetting of dry soil. Biol.Fert.Soils 47, 41-50.
23. Huimin Yang, Unkovich M, McNeill A and Xianzhi Wang (2011) Symbiotic N2 fixation and nitrate utilisation in irrigated lucerne (Medicago sativa) systems Biol Fertil Soils 47, 377-385
24. Mason S, McNeill A, McLaughlin MJ and Hao Zhang (2010) Prediction of wheat response to an application of phosphorus under field conditions using diffusive gradients in thin-films (DGT) and extraction methods Plant Soil 33, 243-258
25. Tracy S.R., Roberts J.A. Black C.R.McNeill, A, Davidson R & Mooney S. (2010). "The X-factor: visualizing undisturbed root architecture in soils using X-ray computed tomography." J. Exp. Bot. 61, 311-313.
26. Butterly CR, Marschner P, McNeill AM and Baldock JA (2010) Rewetting CO2 pulses in Australian agricultural soils and the influence of soil properties Biol Fertil Soils 46, 739-753
27. Butterly CR, Bunemann EK, McNeill AM, Baldock JA and Marschner P (2009) Carbon pulses but not phosphorus pulses are related to decreases in microbial biomass during repeated drying and rewetting of soils Soil Biology & Biochemistry 41, 1406-1416
28. Jassogne L, Hettiarachichi G, McNeill A.M and Chittleborough D. (2009) Distribution and speciation of nutrient elements around micropores Soil Science Society of America Journal 73, 319-326
29. McNeill A.M. and Fillery I.R.P. (2008) Field measurement of lupin belowground nitrogen accumulation and recovery in the subsequent cereal-soil system in a semi-arid Mediterranean-type climate. Plant and Soil 302, 297-316
30. Bunemann EK, Smernik RJ, Marschner P and McNeill AM (2008) Microbial synthesis of organic and condensed forms of phosphorus in acid and calcareous soils. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 40, 932-946
31. Bünemann EK, Smernik R, Doolette AL, Marschner P, Stonor R, Wakelin SA and McNeill AM (2008) Forms of phosphorus in bacteria and fungi isolated from two Australian soils Soil Biology and Biochemistry 40, 1908-1915
32. Bünemann EK, Marschner P, Smernik RJ, Conyeers M and McNeill AM (2008) Soil organic phosphorus and microbial community composition as affected by 26 years of different management strategies Biology & Fertility of Soils 44, 717-726
33. Choi E, Kolesik P, McNeill AM, Collins H, Zhang Q, Huynh B-L, Graham R, Stangoulis J (2007) The mechanism of boron tolerance for maintenance of root growth in barley (Hordeum vulgare L.). Plant, Cell and Environment 30, 984-993
34. Adcock D, McNeill A.M, McDonald G.K. and Armstrong R.D. (2007) Subsoil constraints to crop production on neutral and alkaline soils in south easterrn Australia: a review of current knowledge and management strategies Australian Journal of Experimental Agriculture 47, 1245-1261
35. Jassogne L., McNeill A.M and Chittleborough D. (2007) 3D-visualisation and analysis of macro- and meso-porosity of the upper horizons of a sodic, texture- contrast soil. European Journal of Soil Science 58, 589-598
36. Bünemann E.K., Marschner P, McNeill A.M and McLaughlin M.J. (2007) Measuring rates of gross and net mineralisation of organic phosphorus in soils Soil Biology and Biochemistry 39, 900-913
37. Bunemann EK, Smernik RJ, Marschner P and McNeill AM (2007) Microbial synthesis of organic and condensed forms of phosphorus in acid and calcareous soils. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 40, 932-946
38. Bünemann E.K., Heenan D.P., Marschner P and McNeill A.M ( 2006) Long-term effects of crop rotation, stubble management and tillage on soil phosphorus dynamics. Australian Journal of Soil Research 44, 611-18
39. Choi E.Y., McNeill A.M.,Coventry D.C and Stangoulis J. (2006) Exploring the response of crop and weed species to elevated concentrations of boron in sub-soil. ustralian Journal of Agricultural Research 57 1-10
40. McNeill A.M., L Bergström, H Marstorp, J Eriksen, KA Smith, H Kirchmann, Nilsson I (2005) Critical aspects of nitrogen and sulphur management in temperate agricultural systems with emphasis on organic nutrient sources. Soil Use and Management 21, 82-93
Entry last updated: Saturday, 12 Nov 2016