Professor Derek Abbott
- Main Hompage: http://www.eleceng.adelaide.edu.au/Personal/dabbott/
- Researcher ID: http://www.researcherid.com/rid/E-8352-2011
- LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=4995859
- Academia: http://adelaide.academia.edu/DerekAbbott
- Math Genealogy: http://genealogy.math.ndsu.nodak.edu/id.php?id=101078
- Neurotree: http://neurotree.org/neurotree/tree.php?pid=14808
- Google Scholar: http://scholar.google.com.au/citations?user=vqD_0uQAAAAJ
- ResearchGate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Derek_Abbott/
- 1982 BSc (Hons) in Physics, Loughborough University of Technology (LUT), UK
- 1995 PhD in Electrical & Electronic Engineering, University of Adelaide.
Thesis: MESFET Photodetectors for Imaging Arrays,
under Kamran Eshraghian and Bruce R. Davis
Current teaching activity
- Supervision of PhD students
- Communications IV
- Optical Communications Engineering
Other teaching activity
- 1998 Stephen Cole the Elder Prize
- 2002 PGSA Supervisor of the Year Award
- 2004 Member of DVCE’s working party on Recognition of Quality in
- 2005 Member of SPIE (USA) International Scholarship Committee
- Biomedical and bioinspired engineering
- Optical/Infrared/mm-Wave/T-ray vision systems and sensors
- Novel analog VLSI circuits
- Game theory and information theory
- Complex systems and quantum systems
- Stochastic phenomena
- Computational neuroscience
- 1977 General Electric Company (GEC) Bursary, UK
- 2003 SPIE Scholarship Award for Optical Science and Engineering, USA
- 2004 Tall Poppy Award for Science, Australia
- 2004 SA Great Award for Science & Technology, Australia
- Mark D. McDonnell, Nigel G. Stocks, Charles E. M. Pearce, and Derek Abbott,
Stochastic Resonance, Cambridge University Press, 2008, ISBN 9780521882620.
- Derek Abbott, Paul C. W. Davies, and Arun K. Pati (Eds.),
with Foreword by Sir Roger Penrose, Quantum Aspects of Life, Imperial College
Selected journal publications
- G. P. Harmer and D. Abbott, "Losing strategies
can win by Parrondo's paradox," Nature (London), Vol.
402, No. 6764, p. 864, 1999.
- J. M. R. Parrondo, G. P. Harmer and D. Abbott, "New
paradoxical games based on Brownian ratchets," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 85, No. 24, pp. 5226-5229, 2000.
- M. D. McDonnell, N. G. Stocks, and D. Abbott, "Optimal stimulus and noise distributions for information transmission via suprathreshold stochastic resonance," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 75, No. 6, Art. No. 061105, 2007.
- I. Jones, L. Ricciardi, L. Hall, H. Hansen, V. Varadan, C. Bertram,
S. Maddocks, S. Enderling, D. Saint, S. Al-Sarawi, and D. Abbott, "Wireless RF communication in biomedical applications," Smart Materials and Structures,
Vol. 17, Art. No. 015050, 2008.
- W. Withayachumnankul, B. M. Fischer, and D. Abbott, "Material thickness
optimization for transmission-mode terahertz time-domain spectroscopy," Optics
Express, Vol. 16, No. 10, pp. 7382-7396, 2008.
- A. P. Flitney and D. Abbott, "Quantum version of the Monty Hall problem," Physical
Review A, Vol. 65, Art. No. 062318, 2002.
- G. P. Harmer, B. R. Davis, and D. Abbott, "A review
of stochastic resonance: circuits and measurement," IEEE Trans.
Instrum. & Meas.,
Vol. 51, No. 2, pp. 299-309, Apr. 2002.
- M. Baumert, N. Wessel, A. Schirdewan, A. Voss, and D. Abbott, "Scaling
characteristics of heart rate time series before the onset of ventricular
tachycardia," Annals of Biomedical Engineering, Vol.
35, No. 2, pp.
- D. Abbott, P. C. W. Davies, and C. R. Shalizi, "Order from disorder:
the role of noise in creative processes," Fluctuation and Noise
Vol. 2, No. 4, pp. C1-C12, 2002.
- D. Abbott and X. C. Zhang, "T-ray
imaging, sensing, and retection," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol.
No. 8, pp. 1509-1513, 2007.
- L. T. Hall, H. J. Hansen, B. R. Davis, and D. Abbott, "Performance
analysis of a series transformer for complex impedance matching," Microwave & Optical
Technology Lett., Vol. 45, No. 6, pp. 491-494, 2005.
- W. Withayachumnankul, B. M. Fischer, and D. Abbott, "Uncertainty in
terahertz time-domain spectroscopy measurement," JOSB, Vol.
6, pp. 1059-1072, 2008.
- Y. Lee, A. Allison, D. Abbott, and H. E. Stanley, "Minimal Brownian
ratchet: an exactly solvable model," Physical Review Letters, Vol.
No. 22, 220601, 2003.
- A. P. Flitney, D. Abbott, and N. F. Johnson, "Quantum
walks with history dependence," J. Phys. A: Math. Gen., Vol. 37, pp. 7581-7591, 2004.
- P. Amengual, A. Allison, R. Toral, and D. Abbott, "Discrete-time
ratchets, the Fokker-Planck equation and Parrondo's paradox," Proc.
Royal Society London A, Vol. 460, pp. 2269–2284, 2004.
- Fellow of the Institute of Electrical & Electronic Engineers (IEEE), USA
- (Life) Fellow of the Institute of Physics (IoP), UK
Expertise for Media Contact
|Categories||Science and technology, Mathematics and statistics|
|Expertise||T-rays; terahertz technology; lasers; biophtonics; biosensing; bioinformatics; platonism in science; nature of physics; quantum mechanics; game theory; puzzles; games of chance; probability; code cracking; authorship detection; what is scientific research?; problem solving; complex systems; biomedical engineering; vision systems; how to solve the world's energy needs?; order from randomness.|
Entry last updated: Tuesday, 19 Feb 2013
The information in this directory is provided to support the academic,
administrative and business activities of the University of Adelaide.
To facilitate these activities, entries in the University Phone
Directory are not limited to University employees.
The use of information provided here for any other purpose, including
the sending of unsolicited commercial material via email or any other
electronic format, is strictly prohibited. The University reserves the
right to recover all costs incurred in the event of breach of this