Ms Giulia Ghedini
|Org Unit||Ecology and Environmental Science|
|Telephone||+61 8 8313 1484|
- PhD Candidate (2013 – present), The University of Adelaide, Australia. Thesis title: Ecological resistance and buffers of environmental change. Supevisors: Prof. Sean D. Connell, Prof. Bayden D. Russell.
- Master Degree in Marine Biology (2012), University of Pisa, Italy. Thesis title: The introduction of exotic macroalgae: mechanisms of establishment and impacts on extant assemblages. Supervisors: A/Prof. Lisandro Benedetti-Cecchi, Dr. Fabio Bulleri.
- First Class Honours in Science (2010), The University of Sydney, Australia. Thesis title: Effects of storm-water run-off on algal epifauna. Supervisors: A/Prof. Ross A. Coleman, Dr. Judith C. Klein.
- Bachelor of Science (Biological Sciences) (2009), University of Ferrara, Italy. Thesis title: Role of the parietal eye in the perception of polarized light in the lizard Podarcis sicula. Supervisor: Prof. Augusto G. L. Foà.
As an ecologist my broad interest is to understand the response of natural communities to disturbance, with particular focus on human impacts. The aim of my PhD is to investigate the mechanisms that underpin community resistance and the extent to which such processes can contribute in maintaining stability along with resilience processes using kelp forests as a model system. My previous research experience ranges from the assessment of the impacts of local stressors in urbanized coastal areas to the community-level consequences of the establishment of invasive species.
- 2015 Lirabenda Endowment Fund, $ 3000
- 2015 Conchological Society of Great Britain and Ireland Research Grant, $ 2000
- 2014 Conservation Biology Grant, NCSSA, $1000
- 2013 ESA Student Research Grant, $1500
- 2013 Paris Goodsell Marine Ecology Research Grant, $1500
- 2013 Nature Foundation of South Australia Research Grant, $3000
- 2013 – 2016 IPRS/APA Scholarship, The University of Adelaide
Provost EJ, Kelaher BP, Dworjanyn SA, Russell BD, Connell SD, Ghedini G, Gillanders BM, Figueira W, Coleman M A (2016) Climate-driven disparities among ecological interactions threaten kelp forest persistence. Global Change Biology. doi: 10.1111/gcb.13414.
Ghedini G & Connell SD (2016) Organismal homeostasis buffers the effects of abiotic change on community dynamics. Ecology. doi: 10.1002/ecy.1488.
Connell SD, Nimmo DG, Ghedini G, Mac Nally R, Bennett AF (2016) Ecological Resistance - Why Mechanisms Matter: A Reply to Sundstrom et al. Trends in Ecology & Evolution, 31(6):413-414. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.tree.2016.03.015.
Falkenberg LJ, Connell SD, Coffee OI, Ghedini G, Russell BD (2015) Species interactions can maintain resistance of subtidal algal habitats to an increasingly modified world. Global Ecology & Conservation 4:549-558. doi:10.1016/j.gecco.2015.10.003
Ghedini G, Russell BD, Falkenberg LJ, Connell SD (2015) Beyond spatial and temporal averages: the ecological effects of extreme events may be exacerbated by local disturbances. Climate Change Responses 2(6):1-8. 10.1186/s40665-015-0014-8
Connell SD & Ghedini G (2015) Resisting regime-shifts: the stabilising effect of compensatory processes. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 30(9):513-515. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.tree.2015.06.014
Ghedini G, Russell BD, Connell SD (2015) Trophic compensation reinforces resistance: herbivory absorbs the increasing effects of multiple disturbances. Ecology Letters 18(2):182-187. DOI: 10.1111/ele.12405
Maggi E, Benedetti-Cecchi L, Castelli A, Chatzinikolaou E, Crowe T, Ghedini G, Kotta J, Lyons D, Ravaglioli C, Rilov G, Rindi L, Bulleri F (2014) Ecological impacts of invading seaweeds: a meta-analysis of their effects at different trophic levels. Diversity and Distributions 21(1):1-12. DOI: 10.1111/ddi.12264
Ghedini G, Russell BD, Connell SD (2013) Managing Local Coastal Stressors to Reduce the Ecological Effects of Ocean Acidification and Warming. Water 5(4):1653-1661. doi:10.3390/w5041653
Tamburello L, Benedetti-Cecchi L, Ghedini G, Alastra T, Bulleri F (2012) Variation in the structure of subtidal landscapes in the NW Mediterranean Sea. Marine Ecology Progress Series 457:29-41. Doi: 10.3354/meps09703
Ghedini G, Klein JC, Coleman RA (2011) Potential effects of storm-water runoff on assemblages of mobile invertebrates. Marine Ecology Progress Series 439:169-180. Doi: 10.3354/meps09307
To link to this page, please use the following URL: http://www.adelaide.edu.au/directory/giulia.ghedini