|The University of Adelaide||Home | Faculties & Divisions | Search|
|Faculties & Divisions | People A to Z | Media Expertise | Phonebook||
|Public browsing [Login]|
Dr John Rice
Dr John Rice joined the University of Adelaide in 2006 from the University of Canberra. He has a Bachelors degree in Business from QUT, a Graduate Certificate in Higher Education and a Graduate Diploma in Global Wealth Management from Adelaide University, Masters degrees from QUT and Griffith University in Brisbane and a PhD from Curtin University in Perth. His PhD investigated the emergence of alliance strategies by the multinational high technology firms Nokia and Ericsson. His ongoing research interests include the areas of strategic alliances, high technology networks and employment relations.
John has held academic appointments at a number of Australian universities, including the University of Queensland, QUT, the University of Canberra and UniSA. He was a Visiting Fellow at SPRU, the University of Sussex, in 2002. He has published more than twenty peer-reviewed academic journal articles in the last five years and is a co-author of two major strategic management textbooks published by Pearson Education.
John teaches a variety of strategic management courses in the MBA and other programs at the University. He has wide international research and teaching experience in Asia, Europe and the United States. He has been the recipient of research funding from the Australian Research Council and other agencies and has consulted with a variety of firms in the private and public sectors in Australia. He has worked outside academia in both local government and funds management.
John lives with his wife and three children in Largs Bay, Adelaide.
Doctor of Philosophy (Strategic Management); Curtin University of Technology
Master of Business (Research); Queensland University of Technology
Master of Business Administration; Griffith University
Graduate Diploma of Global Wealth Management; The University of Adelaide
Graduate Certificate of Education (Higher Education); The University of Adelaide
Bachelor of Business (Management); Queensland University of Technology
Strategic Management, Corporate Strategy, Economics of the Firm
Various Funding - Australian Research Council, University of Adelaide
Academic Publications (Since 2006)
Refereed Journal Articles *
1. Rice, J. and Galvin, P. (2006) “Alliance Patterns During Industry Life Cycle Emergence: The Case of Ericsson and Nokia”, Technovation, 26(3): 384-395 (ERA A).
2. Rice, J. (2006) “The Emergence of an Industrial Relations System in Taiwan: Historical and Contextual Challenges”, Asia Pacific Business Review, 12(2): 163-174 (ERA B).
3. Rice, J. and Martin, N. (2007) “Using Biological Models to Improve Innovation Systems: the case of computer anti-viral software”, European Journal of Innovation Management, 10(2): 201-214 (ERA C).
4. Martin, N. and Rice, J. (2007) “Profiling Enterprise Risks in Large Computer Companies Using the Leximancer Software Tool”, Risk Management: An International Journal, 9(3): 188–206 (ERA C).
5. Martin, N., Gregor, S. and Rice, J. (2008) “User centred information design practices and processes at the Australian Taxation Office”, Information Design Journal, 16(1): 54-68 (ERA C).
6. Rice, J. and Martin, N. (2008) “Knowledge Based Alliances as a Driver of Mobile Telecommunications Convergence: An historical and technical overview”, International Journal of Knowledge Management Studies, 2(1): 93-105 (ERA C).
7. Galvin, P. and Rice, J. (2008) “Information Structures in The Mobile Telephone Industry: A Case Study of Knowledge Protection and Diffusion for Innovation”, International Journal of Technology Management, 42(4): 426-438 (ERA B).
8. Rice, J. and Martin, N. (2008) “The Formation of Boards of Directors as a Contingent Response to Environmental Uncertainty – Evidence from Emerging Economies”. Corporate Board: Roles, Duties and Composition 4(3): 23-33 (ERA B).
9. Martin, N. and Rice, J. (2009) “Concept Maps: A Technique for Assessing Knowledge Manager Learning Needs”, Knowledge Management: Research and Practice, 7(2): 152-161 (ERA B).
10. Huang, F. and Rice, J. (2009) “The role of absorptive capacity in facilitating open innovation outcomes”, International Journal of Innovation Management, 13(3): 201-220 (ERA B).
11. Anwar, S. and Rice, J. (2009) “Labour Mobility and Wage Inequality in the presence of Endogenous Foreign Investment”, Economic Modelling, 26: 1135-1139 (ERA A).
12. Rice, J., Martin, N., and Rathnappulige, S. (2009) “Managerial Business Qualifications, Organisational Performance and Managerial Behaviour - evidence from Australia”, Problems and Perspectives in Management, 7(4): 62-74 (ERA C).
13. Rice, J. and Martin, N. (2009) “The Antecedents of Foreign Joint Venture Formation in Transition Economies – A longitudinal analysis”, Corporate Ownership and Control, 6(4), 459-467 (ERA B).
14. Martin, N., Rice, J. (2010) “Analysing emission intensive firms as regulatory stakeholders: A role for adaptable business strategy”, Business Strategy and the Environment 19(1), 64-75 (ERA B).
15. Liao, T.S and Rice, J. (2010) "Innovation investments, market engagement and financial performance: A study among Australian manufacturing SMEs", Research Policy, 39(2): 117-125 (ERA A*).
16. Martin, N. and Rice, J. (2010) "Building better government IT: understanding community beliefs and attitudes toward smart card technologies", Behaviour & Information Technology, 29: 4, 433 - 444 (ERA A).
17. Liao, T.S., Rice, J. and Martin, N. (2011) “The role of the market in transforming training and knowledge to superior performance”, The International Journal of Human Resource Management, 22(2): 376–394 (ERA A).
18. Martin, N. and Rice, J. (2011) “Evaluating and designing electronic government for the future: observations and insights for Australia”, International Journal of Electronic Government Research, 7(3): 38-56 (ERA B).
19. Lim, P., Gemici, S., Rice, J. and Karmel, T. (2011) “Socioeconomic status and the allocation of Government resources in Australia: How well do geographic measures perform?”, Training + Education, 53(7): 570 - 586 (ERA A*).
20. Huang, F. and Rice, J. (2012) “Firm Networking and Bribery in China: Assessing some potential negative consequences of firm openness”, Journal of Business Ethics, accepted and forthcoming (ERA A).
21. Huang, F. and Rice, J. (2012) “Openness in Product and Process Innovation: Evidence from Australian Industry”, International Journal of Innovation Management, accepted and forthcoming, (ERA B).
* (ERA Ranking Refers to the ERA 2010 Final List)
1. Liao, T.S. and Rice, J. (2008) “The Implications of Market Engagement for Firm Performance: A Study of Australian SMEs in the Manufacturing Sector”, paper presented at the ISPIM Innovation Symposium, Singapore, 14 - 17 December 2008.
2. Galvin, P. and Rice, J. (2008) “Transferring Ideas as Part of The Innovation Process: Collaborative And Non-Collaborative Approaches”, Paper presented at the Academy of Management Meeting, Anaheim.
3. Huang, F. and Rice, J. (2008) “The role of absorptive capacity in facilitating 'open innovation' outcomes: a study of Australian SMEs in the manufacturing sector”, paper presented at the ISPIM Innovation Symposium, Singapore, 14 - 17 December 2008.
4. Huang, F., Rice, J. and Galvin, P. “Openness, Innovation Performance and Appropriation Strategies: Empirical Evidence from Australian Businesses”, paper presented at the Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Chicago.
5. Martin, N. and Rice, J. (2010) “Concept Analysis & Mapping: Techniques for Investigating ICT Firms Performance”, paper presented at the 5th International Conference on Qualitative Research in IT & IT in Qualitative Research, Brisbane.
6. Huang, F., Rice, J. and Daniel, L. (2010) “The Open Innovation Paradigm in Developing Economies: Evidence from Chinese Firms” paper presented at the Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Montreal.
7. Liao, T., Rice, J. and Martin, N. (2011) “Do Dynamic Capabilities Lead to Firm Performance? An empirical evaluation of the nexus”, paper presented at the Academy of Management Annual Meeting, San Antonio.
Books and Monographs
1. Hubbard, G., Rice, J. and Beamish, P. (2007) Strategic Management: Thinking, Analysis and Action, Third Edition, Pearson Prentice Hall, Frenchs Forest.
2. Carpenter, M., Sanders, W. Rice, J. and Martin, N. (2009) Strategic Management, Pearson Education Australia, Frenchs Forest.
3. Carpenter, M., Sanders, W. Rice, J. and Martin, N. (2009) Strategic Management – Instructors’ Manual, Pearson Education Australia, Frenchs Forest.
Book Chapters and Sections
1. Rice, J.L. and Martin, N.J. (2009) Peter Jackson - New Zealand's finest director, Case Chapter in Carpenter, M.A., Sanders, W.M.G., Rice, J.L., and Martin, N.J. (2009) Strategic Management: A Dynamic Perspective.
2. Rice, J.L. and Martin, N.J. (2009) Australia's CSL Ltd-a global quiet achiever, Case Chapter in Carpenter, M.A., Sanders, W.M.G., Rice, J.L., and Martin, N.J. (2009) Strategic Management: A Dynamic Perspective.
3. Rice, J.L. and Martin, N.J. (2009) Nokia's use of strategic alliances as a foundation for market success, Case Chapter in Carpenter, M.A., Sanders, W.M.G., Rice, J.L., and Martin, N.J. (2009) Strategic Management: A Dynamic Perspective.
4. Rice, J.L. and Martin, N.J. (2009) Corporate social responsibility at Woolworths Limited, Case Chapter in Carpenter, M.A., Sanders, W.M.G., Rice, J.L., and Martin, N.J. (2009) Strategic Management: A Dynamic Perspective.
Copyright © 2010 The University of Adelaide
Last Modified 16/08/2012 M&SC
CRICOS Provider Number 00123M