|The University of Adelaide||Home | Faculties & Divisions | Search|
|Faculties & Divisions | People A to Z | Media Expertise | Phonebook||
|Public browsing [Login]|
Dr Lisa Smithers
To link to this page, please use the following URL:
Bachelor of Applied Science (1992)
Graduate Diploma in Human Nutrition (1999)
graduation pending for Master of Public Health (2014)
Doctor of Philosophy (2006)
Registered Nutritionist (2007)
PEER REVIEWED PAPERS
1. Smithers LG, Chittleborough CR, Stocks N, Sawyer MG, Lynch JW. (Accepted 9 Sept 2013) The Healthy Kids Check at 4 years: could it tell us if children are fit, healthy and ready to learn? Matern Child Health J [Journal Impact Factor (JIF)=1.875]
2. Mittinty MN, Golley RK, Smithers LG, Brazionis L, Lynch JW. (Accepted 21 Aug 2013) An application of multi-attribute utility theory to develop a weaning diet utility index. PLoS One. [JIF=4.092]
3. Smithers LG, Merlin T, Lynch JW. (2013) The impact of industry self-regulation on television marketing of unhealthy food and beverages to Australian children. Med J Aust. 199(3); 148-149 [JIF=2.853] – invited, peer-reviewed editorial.
4. Smithers LG, Lynch JW, Yang S, Dahhour M, Kramer MS. (2013) Impact of neonatal growth on IQ and behavior at early school age. Pediatrics 132(1); e53-60 [JIF=5.437]
5. Smithers LG, Golley RK, Mittinty MN, Brazionis L, Northstone K, Emmett P, Lynch JW. (2013) Do dietary pattern trajectories from infancy to toddlerhood influence later IQ: results from a birth cohort study. PLOS One 8(3); e58904 doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0058904 [JIF= 4.092].
6. Gould J, Smithers LG, Makrides M. (2013) The effect of omega-3 LCPUFA supplementation during pregnancy, or pregnancy and lactation, on infant cognitive and visual development: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized control trials. Am J Clin Nutr. 97(3);531-544. Doi: 10.3945/ajcn.112.045781 [JIF=6.603].
7. Golley RG, Smithers LG, Mittinty MN, Emmett P, Northstone K, Lynch JW. (2013) Associations between a complementary feeding adherence index and dietary, adiposity, cardiovascular and cognitive outcomes measured in middle childhood. J Nutr epub-14/Aug/2013 [JIF=4.300].
8. Brazionis L, Golley RK, Mittinty M, Smithers LG, Lynch JW. (2013) Diet spanning infancy and toddlerhood is related to child blood pressure at 7.5 years, independent of birth weight and body size. Am J Clin Nutr 97(6); 1375-1386. [JIF=6.603].
9. Smithers LG, Golley RK, Mittinty MN, Brazionis L, Northstone K, Emmett P, Lynch JW. (2012) Dietary patterns at 6, 15 and 24 months of age are associated with IQ at 8 years of age. Eur J Epidemiol. 27(7); 525-535 [JIF=4.535].
10. Smithers LG, Golley RK, Brazionis L, Northstone K, Emmett P, Lynch JW. Dietary patterns of infants and toddlers are associated with nutrient intakes. Nutrients. 4(8); 935-948 (Invited contribution to a special issue on Infant Nutrition). [JIF=0.676]
11. Smithers LG, Brazionis L, Golley RK, Mittinty MN, Northstone K, Emmett P, McNaughton SA, Campbell KJ, Lynch JW. (2012). Associations between dietary patterns at 6 and 15 months of age and socio-demographic factors. Eur J Clin Nutr.66(6); 658-66. Doi: 10.1038/ejcn.2011.219 [JIF=2.561]
12. Golley R, Smithers LG, Mittinty M, Brazionis L, Emmett P, Northstone K, Campbell K, McNaughton S, Lynch J. 2012 An index measuring adherence to complementary feeding guidelines has convergent validity as a measure of infant diet quality. J Nutr 142(5); 901-908 [JIF=4.300].
13. Brazionis L, Golley RK, Mittinty M, Smithers LG, Northstone K, Emmett P, Lynch JW. 2012 Characterization of transition diets spanning infancy and toddlerhood: A novel, multiple time point application of Principal Component Analysis. Am J Clin Nutr. 95(5); 1200-1208 [JIF=6.603]
14. Smithers LG, Golley R, Brazionis L, Lynch JW. (2011) Characterizing whole diets of young children from developed countries and the association between diet and health: a systematic review. Nutr Rev. 69(8); 449-67. [JIF =3.443].
15. Smithers LG, Gibson RA, Makrides M. (2011) Maternal supplementation with DHA during pregnancy does not effect early visual development in the infant: a randomized controlled trial. Am J Clin Nutr. 93(6);1293-1299. [JIF=6.603]
16. Smithers LG, McIntyre E. (2010) The impact of breastfeeding: translating recent evidence for practice. Aust Fam Physician. 39(10); 757-760. [JIF =0.257].
17. Smithers LG, Makrides M, Gibson RA. (2010). Human milk fatty acids from lactating mothers of preterm infants: a study revealing wide intra- and inter-individual variation. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 83(1); 9-13 [JIF = 2.103].
18. Smithers LG, Collins C, Simmonds L, Gibson RA, McPhee A, Makrides M. (2010). Feeding preterm infants milk with a higher dose of docosahexaenoic acid than used in current practice does not influence does not influence language or behaviour in early childhood: a follow up study of a randomized controlled trial. Am J Clin Nutr 91(3); 628-634 [JIF = 6.603].
19. Makrides, M, Smithers LG, Gibson RA. (2010) The role of long chain polyunsaturated fatty acids in neurodevelopment and growth. Nestle Nutr Workshop Ser Pediatr Program .65:123-136. [No JIF].
20. Gibson RA, Makrides M, Smithers LG, Voevodin M, Sinclair A. (2009) The effect of dairy foods on coronary heart disease: a systematic review of prospective cohort studies. Br J Nutr 102(9); 1267-1275 [JIF = 2.339]
21. Makrides M, Gibson RA, McPhee AJ, Collins CT, Davis PG, Doyle LW, Colditz PB, Morris S, Smithers LG, Willson K, Best K, Ryan P. (2009). Neurodevelopmental outcome of preterm infants fed high-dose DHA. JAMA 301(2);175. [JIF =25.547].
22. Smithers LG, Gibson RA, Makrides M. (2009) Are DHA requirements of preterm infants higher than previously thought? Agro-Food Industry Hi-tech. 20(4); 4-6. [JIF =0.191]. Invited manuscript.
23. Smithers LG, Gibson RA, McPhee AJ, Makrides M. (2008) Higher dose of DHA in the neonatal period improves visual acuity of preterm infants: The results of a randomized controlled trial. Am J Clin Nutr 88(4);1049. [JIF = 6.603].
24. Smithers LG, Gibson RA, McPhee AJ, Makrides M. (2008) Effect of LCPUFA supplementation of preterm infants on disease risk and neurodevelopment: a systematic review. Am J Clin Nutr 87(4);912. [JIF = 6.603].
25. Smithers LG, Gibson RA, McPhee A, Makrides M. (2008) Effect of two doses of docosahexaenoic acid in the diet of preterm infants on infant fatty acid status: results from the DINO Trial. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 79(3-5);141. [JIF = 2.103].
26. Collins C, Gibson RA, Miller J, McPhee AJ, Wilson K, Smithers LG, Makrides M. (2008). Carbohydrate is the main determinant of growth in infants born <33 weeks gestation. Nutrition 24(5);451. [JIF=2.229].
27. Anderson PJ,Cox TC,Roscioli T,Elakis G, Smithers L, David DJ,Powell B (2007) Somatic FGFR and TWIST mutations are not a common cause of single suture craniosynostosis. J Craniofacial Surgery 18:2, 312. [JIF=0.739].
28. Bates EJ, Ferrante A, Smithers L, Poulos A, Robinson B.(1995) Effect of fatty acid structure on neutrophil adhesion, degranulation and damage to endothelial cells. Atherosclerosis 116;2,247. [JIF=4.287].
29. Bates EJ, Ferrante A, Poulos A, Smithers L, Rathjen DA, Robinson B. (1995) Inhibitory effects of arachidonic acid and its monoydroperoxy- and hydroxyl- metabolites on procoagulant activity in endothelial cells. Atherosclerosis 116:1,125. [JIF = 4.287].
BOOK CHAPTERS, INVITED NON-PEER REVIEWED PAPERS AND REPORTS
35. Smithers LG, Lynch JW, Merlin T. (2012) Television marketing of unhealthy food and beverages to children: a review of the published evidence since 2009. Canberra: Australian National Preventive Health Agency (ANPHA).
36. Golley RK, Smithers LG, Campbell K, Lynch JW. (2010) Understanding the role of infant and toddler nutrition on population health: Epidemiological resources in Australia. Australasian Epidemiologist 17:1, 11-16.
37. Smithers LG and Makrides M. (2009) Chapter 14. Long chain polyunsaturated fatty acids and infant development. In Fatty Acids in Health Promotion and Disease Causation. Ed. R Watson. Publisher: AOCS Press. 349-378.
38. Smithers LG, McIntyre E. (2007) Human milk: Overview of composition and function. Internal report commissioned by the UK Royal College of Midwives.
39. Smithers LG, Gibson RA, Makrides M. (2007) Long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acid (LCPUFA) supplementation for infants born preterm. NeoReviews 8;4 e143.
Member of the Australasian Epidemiology Association
Member of the Public Health Association of Australia
Member of the Nutrition Society of Australia
Member of the Healthy Development Adelaide
Member of the Australian Research Alliance for Children & Youth
Member of the International Association of Epidemiology
Copyright © 2013 The University of Adelaide
Last Modified 26/07/2013 Marketing & Communications
CRICOS Provider Number 00123M