|The University of Adelaide||Home | Faculties & Divisions | Search|
|Faculties & Divisions | People A to Z | Media Expertise | Phonebook||
|Public browsing [Login]|
Associate Professor Loc Do
To link to this page, please use the following URL:
Loc is a dentist and an oral epidemiologist with special interest in social and clinical oral epidemiology. He has a wide range of research interest. Currently, he is a Chief Investigator of the National Child Oral Health Study and a birth cohort study investigating impact of socioeconomic inequality on child oral health funded by NHMRC. Other responsibilities
Loc is a dentist and an oral epidemiologist with special interest in social and clinical oral epidemiology. He has a wide range of research interest.
Currently, he is a Chief Investigator of the National Child Oral Health Study and a birth cohort study investigating impact of socioeconomic inequality on child oral health funded by NHMRC.
BDS, MScDent, PhD
Awards & Achievements
2004 International: IADR/Colgate Research in Prevention Award, awarded at the 82nd General Session of the IADR, Honolulu USA.
· Oral epidemiological measurement of dental diseases
· Quantitative analysis of oral epidemiological data including multilevel analysis
· Risk and benefit trade-off in the use of fluorides in children
· Natural history of dental fluorosis
· Socio-economic inequality in oral health
· Oral health-related quality of life
· Smoking as a risk factor for periodontal diseases
· Effectiveness and safety of water fluoridation in children
JOURNAL ARTICLES (last five years)
1. Do LG, Ha DH, Spencer AJ. Natural history and long-term impact of dental fluorosis- a prospective cohort study. Medical Journal of Australia; 2015. DOI 10.5694/mja15.00703.
2. Do LG, Spencer AJ. Contemporary multilevel analysis of the effectiveness of water fluoridation in Australia. Australian New Zealand Journal of Public Health; 2015; DOI: 10.1111/1753-6405.12299.
3. Do LG, Ha DH, Spencer AJ. Factors attributable for the prevalence of dental caries in Queensland children. Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology; 2015; doi: 10.1111/cdoe.12162.
4. Spencer AJ, Do LG. Caution needed in altering the ‘optimum’ fluoride concentration in drinking water. Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology (Accepted Nov 2015).
5. Ha DH, Lalloo R, Jamieson L, Do LG. Trends in caries experience and associated contextual factors among Indigenous children. J Public Health Dent 2015; doi: 10.1111/jphd.12134.
6. Ha DH, Luzzi L, Mejia G, Do LG, Jamieson L. Changes in Area-level Socioeconomic Status and Oral Health of Indigenous Australian Children. Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved (Accepted Nov 2015).
7. Shin BM, Ryu JI, Sheiham A, Do LG, Jung SH. Which life course model better explains the association between socioeconomic position and periodontal health? J Clinical Periodontology; 2015; DOI: 10.1111/jcpe.12360.
8. Peres MA, Luzzi L, Peres KG, Sabbah W, Antunes JL, Do LG. Income-related inequalities in inadequate dentition over time in Australia, Brazil and USA adults. Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology; 2015; doi: 10.1111/cdoe.12144
9. Schuch HS, Peres KG, Do LG, Peres MA. Can socioeconomic trajectories during the life influence periodontal disease occurrence in adulthood? Hypotheses from a life-course perspective. Medical Hypotheses; 2015; dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.mehy.2015.03.011.
10. Bhat M, Roberts-Thomson KF and Do LG. Clustering of risk indicators for periodontal disease: A population based study. Community Dental Health 2015; doi:10.1922/CDH_3569Bhat05.
11. Do LG. Distribution of dental caries in children: variation between and within populations. Invited Critical Review in Oral Biology and Medicine. J Dent Res 2012; 91 (6): 536–543.
12. Do LG, Spencer AJ, Slade GD, Ha DH, Roberts-Thomson KF. Trend of Income-related Inequality of Child Oral Health in Australia. J Dent Res 2010, 89(9):959-64.
13. Do LG. Oral health status and perception of oral health of young Australian adults. Aust Dent J, 2012; 57: 1–3
14. Do LG, Miller J, Phelan C, Spencer AJ, Wright FAC. Dental caries and fluorosis experience of 8–12-year-old children by early life exposure to fluoride Community Dent and Oral Epidemiol. 2014 Apr 16. doi: 10.1111/cdoe.12106. [Epub ahead of print].
15. Do LG, Spencer AJ, Dost F, Farah C. Oral mucosal lesions: findings from the Australian National Survey of Adult Oral Health. Aust Dent J. 2014. doi: 10.1111/adj.121 -
16. 16. Do LG, et al. Common risk factor approach to address socioeconomic inequality in the oral health of preschool children - a prospective cohort study. BMC Public Health. 2014; 14(1):429. DOI: 10.1186/1471-2458-14-429.
17. Kapellas K, Do LG, et al. Effects of full mouth scaling on the periodontal health of Indigenous Australians: a randomized controlled trial. J Clinical Periodontology 2013; 40 (11): 1016-24.
18. Kapellas K, Skilton MR, Maple-Brown LJ, Do LG, et al. Periodontal disease and dental caries among Indigenous Australians living in the Northern Territory, Australia. Aust Dent J 2014; doi: 10.1111/adj.121
20. Kapellas K, Jamieson LM, Do LG, Bartold PM, Wang H, Maple-Brown LJ, Sullivan D, O'Dea K, Brown A, Celermajer DS, Slade GD, Skilton MR. Associations between periodontal disease and cardiovascular surrogate measures among Indigenous Australians. Int J Cardiol. 2014; 173(2):190-6. doi: 10.1016/j.ijcard.2014.02.015.
21. Roberts-Thomson KF, Do LG, et al. Severe periodontal destruction among an urban Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander population. Aust Dent J 2014; 52 doi: 10.1111/adj.121.
22. Do LG, Levy SM, Spencer AJ. Association between infant formula feeding and dental fluorosis and caries in Australian children. J Public Health Dent 2012;72:112-21.
23. Kapellas K, Maple-Brown LJ, Jamieson L, Do LG, et al. The effect of periodontal therapy on arterial structure and function among Aboriginal Australians: a randomised controlled trial. Hypertension 2014; pii: HYPERTENSIONAHA.114.03359. [Epub ahead of print]
24. Brennan DS, Do LG. Caries experience of private and public dental patients. Aust Dent J 2009; 54: 66-9.
25. Do LG, Spencer AJ, Ha DH. Association between dental caries and fluorosis among South Australian children. Caries Research 2009; 18; 43 (5):366-373.
26. Do LG, Spencer AJ, et al. Oral Health Status of Vietnamese Children. Asia-Pacific J of Public Health. 2011; Apr;23(2):217-27.
27. Do LG, Spencer AJ, et al. Oral Health Status of Vietnamese Adults. Asia-Pacific J of Public Health. 2011; Apr;23(2):228-36.
28. Roberts-Thomson KF, Steward J, Do LG. A longitudinal study of the relative importance of factors related to use of dental services among young adults. Community Dent Oral Epidemiology; 2010; 39(3):268-75.
29. Roberts-Thomson KF, Do LG, Spencer AJ. The Second National Oral Health Survey of Vietnam – 1999: background and methodology. NZ Dent J. 2010;106(2):61-6.
30. Roberts-Thomson KF, Do LG, Spencer AJ. The Second National Oral Health Survey of Vietnam – 1999: The prevalence of dental diseases. NZ Dent J. 2010;106(3):103-8.
31. Brennan DS, Do LG, Slade GD. Caries experience of adults attending private and public dental clinics in Australia. J Public Health Dent. 2011; 71(1):32-7
32. Arora A, Scott JA, Bhole S, Do LG, Schwarz E and Blinkhorn AS. Early childhood feeding practices and dental caries in preschool children: a multi-centre birth cohort study. BMC Public Health 2011, 11:28
33. Do LG, Levy SM, Spencer AJ. Association between infant formula feeding and dental fluorosis and caries in Australian children. J Public Health Dent; 2011. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-7325.2011.00290.x. [Epub ahead of print].
34. Crocombe LA, Brennan DS, Slade GD, Do LG. Is self-interdental cleaning associated with dental plaque levels, dental calculus, gingivitis and periodontal disease? J Perio Res 2012 Apr; 47(2):188-97. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0765.2011.01420.x..
35. Arora A; Nguyen D; Hilton G; Do LG; Blinkhorn A; Schwarz E. What do these words mean?” A qualitative approach to explore oral health literacy in Vietnamese immigrant mothers in Australia. Health Educ J 2013; 24; doi: 10.1177/0017896912471051.
36. Jamieson LM, Do LG, Bailie R, Sayers S, Turrell G. The contribution of area-level disadvantage to dental disease among a birth cohort of Indigenous Australians. Aust Dent J 2013 Mar; 58(1):75-81. doi: 10.1111/adj.12017
37. Rugg-Gunn AJ, Do LG. Effectiveness of water fluoridation in caries prevention. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 2012; 40 (Suppl. 2): 55–64.
38. Arora A; Bedros D; Bhole S; Do LG; Scott J; Blinkhorn, A; Schwarz, E. Child and Family Health Nurses’ Experiences of Oral Health of Pre-school Children: A Qualitative Approach. J Public Health Dent. 2012. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-7325.2011.00295.x. [Epub ahead of print]
39. Spencer AJ, Meija GC, Do LG. Socioeconomic inequality in oral health of the Australian population. Australasian Epidemiologist 2010; 17 (3): 20–24.
Copyright © 2013 The University of Adelaide
Last Modified 26/07/2013 Marketing & Communications
CRICOS Provider Number 00123M