Dr Marian Mihailescu
I am currently a part-time tutor in School of Computer Science, University of Adelaide. I have submitted my PhD thesis for review in January 2012 at the Department of Computer Science, National University of Singapore. My PhD supervisor was Assoc. Prof. Teo Yong Meng. In August 2005 I obtained my bachelor degree in Computer Science from Politehica University of Bucharest, Romania. Between July 2010 and December 2012 I worked as a full-time teaching assistant in School of Computing, National University of Singapore.
Awards & Achievements
- 2010, Best Paper Award, 10th International Conference on Algorithms and Architectures for Parallel Processing (ICA3PP), Busan, Korea.
- 2010, IEEE Travel Grant Award, TCSC Doctoral Symposium, 10th IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Cluster, Cloud and Grid Computing (CCGrid), Melbourne, Australia.
- 2008, WWDC Student Scholarship, Apple 2008 World Wide Developer Conference, San Francisco, USA.
- 2006 - 2010, Research Scholarship, Singapore Ministry of Education Graduate Research Scholarship.
- 2004, 2nd Prize, IEEE Computer Society International Design Competition, 5th Edition, Washinghton D.C., USA.
- 2004, 1st Prize, Hard and Soft International Design Competition, 11th Edition, Suceava, Romania.
- 2004, 3rd Prize, Microsoft Imagine Cup, 1st Edition (National Level), Bucharest, Romania.
- 2003, Jury Special Prize, Hard and Soft International Design Competition, 10th Edition, Suceava, Romania.
My research interests are directed primarily towards the area of market-based pricing and resource allocation in large distributed systems.
Other areas of interest include cloud computing, peer-to-peer services and applications and networking.
- M. Mihailescu and Y.M. Teo, The Impact of User Rationality in Federated Clouds, Proceedings of 12th IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Cluster, Cloud and Grid Computing, pp. (to appear), Ottawa, Canada, May 13–16, 2012.
- M. Mihailescu and Y.M. Teo, A Distributed Market Framework for Large-scale Resource Sharing, Proceedings of Euro-Par, pp. 418-430, LNCS 6271, Springer-Verlag, Ischia, Italy, Aug 31 - Sept 3, 2010.
- M. Mihailescu and Y.M. Teo, Strategic-Proof Dynamic Resource Pricing of Multiple Resource Types on Federated Clouds, Proceedings of 10th International Conference on Algorithms and Architectures for Parallel Processing, pp. 337-350, LNCS 6081, Springer-Verlag, Busan, Korea, May 21-23, 2010 (Best Paper Award).
- M. Mihailescu and Y.M. Teo, Dynamic Resource Pricing on Federated Clouds, Proceedings of 10th IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Cluster, Cloud and Grid Computing, IEEE Computer Society Press, pp. 513-517, Melbourne, Australia, May 17-20, 2010.
- M. Mihailescu and Y.M. Teo, On Economic and Computational-Efficient Resource Pricing in Large Distributed Systems, Proceedings of 10th IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Cluster, Cloud and Grid Computing, IEEE Computer Society Press, pp. 838-843, Melbourne, Australia, May 17-20, 2010.
- Y.M. Teo and M. Mihailescu, A Strategy-proof Pricing Scheme for Multiple Resource Type Allocations, Proceedings of 38th International Conference on Parallel Processing, IEEE Computer Society Press, pp. 172-179, Vienna, Austria, September 22-25, 2009.
- Y.M. Teo, V. March and M. Mihailescu, Hierarchical Structured Peer-to-Peer Systems, Handbook of Research on Scalable Computing Technologies, editors, K Li, C Hsu, Laurence T Yang, J. Dongarra and H Zima, IGI Global, Chapter 7, July 2009.
- Y.M. Teo and M. Mihailescu, Collision Avoidance in Hierarchical Peer-to-Peer Systems, Proceedings of 7th International Conference on Networking, IEEE Computer Society Press, pp. 336-341, Cancun, Mexico, April 13-18, 2008.
Entry last updated: Saturday, 1 Mar 2014
The information in this directory is provided to support the academic,
administrative and business activities of the University of Adelaide.
To facilitate these activities, entries in the University Phone
Directory are not limited to University employees.
The use of information provided here for any other purpose, including
the sending of unsolicited commercial material via email or any other
electronic format, is strictly prohibited. The University reserves the
right to recover all costs incurred in the event of breach of this