Dr Md Younus
|Org Unit||Geography, Environment and Population|
|Telephone||+61 8 8313 3805|
|Mobile||+61 4 2535 8973|
Kenneth Wills Building
Dr Younus has joined discipline of Geography, Environment and Population, Adelaide University as a Visiting Research Fellow in June, 2011. He was assigned as a team member with various international research activities, such as: International Water Management Institute, BUP, ADB, WMO, Global Water Partnership, and the University of Waikato. He has presented papers in various international seminars in USA, Norway, Finland, Australia, Bangladesh and UK. Younus worked with Professors Drs Q K Ahmad, K B S Rasheed, Munir Morad, Martin Williams, Richard Warrick and Nick Harvey. He was a Scientific Reviewer of IPCC Fourth (2007) and Fifth (2014) assessment reports on adaptation. He has published two books (one from Springer) on climate change vulnerability and adaptation; and 23 articles/papers in refereed journals and proceedings. Dr Younus is a Board Member of Australia New Zealand Society for Ecological Economics (ANZSEE). He taught several courses on environment (Environmental Studies: Climate Change and Human Adaptation, Environmental Decision Making Tools, Research Project Design and Managment, Cities as Human Environments) in Flinders University, Australia; and he also delivered special lectures in Dhaka University and Adelaide University. He is a member / life member of 19 International Academic and Development Societies along with the Association of American Geographers, Institute of Australian Geographers, the Royal Geographical Society - Institute of British Geographers (RGS-IBG), Regional Studies Association (UK), International Society for Ecological Economics (ISEE), Bangladesh Geographical Society, BNGA, the Royal Geographical Society of South Australia, Field Geology Club of South Australia, The Australian Sociological Association and Bangla Academy. He is a Fellow of RGS-IBG. Dr Younus has evaluated ANU Doctoral thesis, NOAA's grant application, and many articles for international refereed journals as a referee. Younus is an Associate Editor of the Journal of Environmental Assessment Policy and Management, Imperial College Press, UK. He is a Councilor of the RGSSA.
PhD in Environmental Studies from discipline of Geography and Environmental Studies, University of Adelaide (2010), Australia.
Masters of Philosophy in Geography, University of Waikato (2002), New Zealand.
Masters of Science with Thesis in Geography (First Class Second), University of Dhaka (1994), Bangladesh.
Bachelor of Science with Honours in Geography (First Class), University of Dhaka (1991), Bangladesh.
Divisional Scholarship for PhD from the University of Adelaide.
New Zealand Overseas Development Authority (NZODA) Scholarship for MPhil from the University of Waikato, NZ.
Publication Grants from the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, The University of Adelaide.
Research Abroad Scholarship from the University of Adelaide.
Travel Grant for Participating GECHS Workshop in Norway.
Travel Grant for Participating IAG Conference in Brisbane, Australia.
Grant for Participating 'Planet Under Pressure' Conference in London in 2012
My teaching interests include:
My research interests include:
- Vulnerability and Adaptation to Climate Change
- Research Methodology
- Urban Environment
- Environmental Impact Assessment
- Climate Change Adaptation
- Health Inequality
Detailed Tasks and Publications
· Younus, M. (2014): Vulnerability and Adaptation to Climate Change in Bangladesh: Processes, Assessment and Failure Effects, Springer, The Netherlands. ISBN 9400754930, 9789400754935; endorsed by Nobel Laureate Prof Yunus and foreword written by Prof Harvey (2007 - Joint award of the Nobel Peace Prize to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) of which he was one of the Lead Authors)
· Younus, M. (2011): Adaptation to Climate Change in Bangladesh: With Particular Reference to the Extreme Flood Events and Farmers’ Adjustments, LAP- Lambert Academic Publishing, Germany. ISBN 978-3-8383-7905-0
Articles in refereed journals
Younus, M (2017): An assessment of vulnerability and adaptation to cyclones through impact assessment guidelines: a bottom-up case study from Bangladesh coast, , Springer, DOI 10.1007/s11069-017-3027-8
Younus, M et al. (in progress): Vulnerability Assessment of Bangladesh Under Climate Change Regimes Using Multiple Regression Analysis: Actions, Notions And Solutions, under progress for an international Journal
Younus, M. and Harvey, N. (2014):
, M. (2016):
Research in Progress
1. Drinking Water Scarcity in Coastal Region of Bangladesh
2. Extrapolation of Adaptation Funds at Community Level in Coastal Region of Bangladesh
3. Ecosystem Valuation and Adaptation Planning/Mosaic in Coastal Region of Bangladesh
4. Sustainable Cyclone Warning System in Coastal Region of Bangladesh
5. Community Growth Centre and its impact on Socio-Economic and Environmental Systems in Rural Bangladesh
6. Bangladeshi Refugees in South Australia – A Critical Review
7. Environmental Refugee Migration from Some Hot-Spot Coastal Areas in South Asia to Asia Pacific Region: An In-depth Case Studies in Bangladesh
He has membership / life-membership with eighteen societies over the World: the Royal Geographical Society–Institute of British Geographers, the UK (Fellow and Chartered Geographer), Institute of Australian Geographers, Association of American Geographers, The International Society for Ecological Economics (ISEE); Executive Member of Australia New Zealand Society for Ecological Economics (ANZSEE), Bangladesh Geographical Society, Bangladesh National Geographical Association, Society for International Development (SID), The Australian Sociological Association, Bangla Academy, Community Health Research Association, Bangladesh Australia Society of South Australia Inc. (Vice President), Regional Studies Association, UK, Asiatic Society of Bangladesh, New Zealand Geographical Society, Geographical Society of NSW, Australia, the Royal Geographical Society of South Australia Inc (Councillor), The Field Geology Club of South Australia Inc., and ABACC.
To link to this page, please use the following URL: http://www.adelaide.edu.au/directory/md.younus