|The University of Adelaide||Home | Faculties & Divisions | Search|
|Faculties & Divisions | People A to Z | Media Expertise | Phonebook||
|Public browsing [Login]|
Dr Melissa Whitrow
To link to this page, please use the following URL:
2008-current Research Fellow. Lifecourse and Intergenerational Health Research Group, Disciplines of Public Health and Obstetrics and Gynaecology, The University of Adelaide. Various fractional appointments since 2009, currently 0.6FTE.
2005-2008 Career Development Fellow, Social and Public Health Sciences Unit, Medical Research Council, Glasgow, UK.
2002-2005 Associate Lecturer, Spencer Gulf Rural Health School, University of Adelaide and University of South Australia.
2004 PhD (Epidemiology), The University of Adelaide.
1998 BSc (Honours in Physiology), The University of Adelaide.
Childhood growth and obesity
Ethnicity and health
Respiratory health in children and adolescents
Google Scholar profile: http://scholar.google.com.au/citations?user=Q_tjDbIAAAAJ&hl=en
Peer reviewed journal articles, last 5 years taking career disruption into account
1. Giles LC, Whitrow MJ, Davies MJ, Davies CE, Rumbold AR, Moore VM. Growth trajectories in early childhood, their relationship with antenatal and postnatal factors, and development of obesity by age 9 years: results from an Australian birth cohort study. International Journal of Obesity 2015 Jul;39(7):1049-56.
2. Harding S, Read UM, Molaodi, OR, Cassidy A, Maynard MJ, Lenguerrand E, Astell-Burt T, Teyhan A, Whitrow M, Enayat ZE. The Determinants of young Adult Social well-being and Health (DASH) study: diversity, psychosocial determinants and health. Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology 2015 Aug;50(8):1173-88.
3. Maftei O, Whitrow MJ, Davies MJ, Giles LC, Owens JA, Moore VM. Maternal body size prior to pregnancy, gestational diabetes and weight gain: associations with insulin resistance in children at 9-10 years. Diabetic Medicine. 2015 Feb;32(2):174-80.
4. Moran LJ, March WA, Whitrow MJ, Giles LC, Davies MJ, Moore VM. Sleep disturbances in a community-based sample of women with polycystic ovary syndrome. Human Reproduction 2015 Feb;30(2):466-72.
5. Marino JL, Moore VM, Willson KJ, Rumbold A, Whitrow MJ, Giles LC, Davies MJ. Perinatal outcomes by mode of assisted conception and sub-fertility in an Australian data linkage cohort. PLoS One 2014; 9(1):e80398.
6. Astell-Burt T, Maynard MJ, Lenguerrand E, Whitrow MJ, Molaodi OR, Harding S. Effect of air pollution and racism on ethnic differences in respiratory health among adolescents living in an urban environment. Health and Place 2013; 23:171-8.
7. Whitrow MJ, Davies MD, Giles LC, de Stavola BL, Maftei O, Owens JA, Moore VM. Effects of birth size, post-natal growth and current size on insulin resistance in 9 year old children: A prospective cohort study. European Journal of Paediatrics 2013; 172(9):1207-14.
8. Giles LC, Whitrow MJ, Rumbold AR, Davies CE, de Stavola BL, Pitcher JB, Davies MJ, Moore VM. Growth in early life and the development of obesity by age 9 years: are there critical periods and a role for an early life stressor? International Journal of Obesity 2013; 37(4):513-9.
9. Rumbold AR, Giles LC, Whitrow MJ, Steele EJ, Davies CE, Davies MJ, Moore VM. The effects of house moves during early childhood on child mental health at age 9 years. BMC Public Health, 2012; 12:583.
10. Whitrow M, Moore V, Davies M. Waist-to-height ratio is not a predictor of systolic blood pressure in 3 year old children. J Pediatr 2011; 159(3):501-3.
11. Giles L, Davies MJ, Whitrow M, Rumbold A, Lynch J, Sawyer M, Moore V. Structured regression analyses of life course processes: An example exploring how maternal depression in early childhood affects children's subsequent internalizing behaviour. Ann Epidemiol 2011; 21(9):654-659.
12. Giles L, Moore VM, Whitrow M, Warin M, Davies M. Maternal depressive symptoms and childcare during toddlerhood relate to child behavior at age 5 years. Pediatrics 2011; 128(1):e78-84.
13. Whitrow M, Harding S, Maynard MJ. The influence of parental smoking and family type on saliva cotinine in UK ethnic minority children: a cross sectional study. BMC Public Health 2010; 10:262.
14. Harding S, Whitrow M, Lenguerrand E, Maynard MJ, Teyhan A, Cruickshank K, Der G. Emergence of ethnic differences in blood pressure in adolescence: The Determinants of Adolescent Social well-being and Health study. Hypertension 2010; 55:1063.
15. Whitrow M, Harding S. Asthma in Black African, Black Caribbean and South Asian adolescents in the MRC DASH study. BMC Pediatr 2010; 10:18.
16. Davies M, Whitrow M, Moore V, Rumbold A. [letter] Re: The effect of supplemental folic acid in pregnancy on childhood asthma: a prospective birth cohort study. Am J Epidemiol 2010; 171(6):747.
M, Moore V, Rumbold
A, Davies M. Effect of supplemental
folic acid in pregnancy on childhood asthma: a prospective birth cohort
study. Am J Epidemiol 2009;
18. Whitrow M, Harding S. Ethnic differences in adolescent lung function: anthropometric, socioeconomic and psychosocial factors. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2008; 177:1262-1267.
19. Harding S, Whitrow M, Maynard MJ, Teyhan A. Cohort Profile: The DASH (Determinants of Adolescent Social well-being and Health) Study, an ethnically diverse cohort. Int J Epidemiol 2007; 36:512-17.
Member of the Ethnicity and Health journal editorial board (http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/carfax/13557858.html)
Member of Healthy Development Adelaide
Copyright © 2013 The University of Adelaide
Last Modified 26/07/2013 Marketing & Communications
CRICOS Provider Number 00123M