Dr Nicolette Hodyl
Natalie Aboustate (Primary supervisor)
Project: Regulation of the innate immune response in the preterm neonate.
Rebecca Collins (Primary supervisor)
Project: An Investigation of cord blood biomarkers associated with poor child
neurodevelopmental outcome at age 3 years.
Dr Amy Keir (Co-supervisor)
Project: Current transfusion practices and adverse effects in preterm neonates
Amy Garrett (Primary supervisor)
Megan Bater (Primary supervisor)
Project: Understanding parents perceptions about child development education in the
Neonatal Intensive and Special Care Nurseries
Dr Kathryn Martinello (Primary supervisor)
Project: Biomarkers predicting bronchopulmonary dysplasia (BPD) in preterm
Tara Crawford (Primary supervisor)
Project: Effect of Pre-Transfusion Red Cell Washing on Endothelial activation
and oxidation: A Randomised Controlled Trial
Human Reproductive Health III. Research in the neonatal intensive care unit.
Research Project III: Biostatistics in Human Reproductive Health
Honours: Research Biostatistics for Honours Program, School of Paediatrics and
My research seeks to identify the impact of common adverse
exposures in pregnancy that contribute to altered fetal growth, aberrant HPA function
and immune development, which ultimately lead to poor child neurodevelopmental outcomes. My
specific areas of interest are (i) the effects of feto-placental inflammation
on fetal and neonatal development; (ii) the role of antenatal exposure to
endogenous and exogenous glucocorticoids in programming fetal systems; and
(iii) the consequences of these early life exposures on child neuroendocrine
function and neurodevelopment. This research involves linking clinical and
environmental exposures in the perinatal period to neonatal and child health
outcomes. My research spans basic science (assessing placental and cord blood
biomarkers that lead to and/or predict poor outcomes) and epidemiology
(examining outcomes in large Australian cohorts). Ultimately this research aims
to identify aberrant processes and promulgate effective intervention strategies
to (1) prevent poor neurodevelopment from occurring during the perinatal
period, and (2) optimise neurodevelopment in children exposed to an adverse
My research predominantly involves the study of preterm neonates. In Australia, over 24,000 babies are born prematurely every year. Over 500 of these babies will die in the neonatal period, while another 18,000 will suffer neonatal and/or lifelong morbidity. As such, preterm birth represents a huge emotional and social burden to affected parents and families, as well as a large economic cost to Australia's public health care system. My broad research area seeks to identify factors that contribute to poor brain development in this vulnerable population.
MS McLeod Research Fellowship (Women's and Children's Hospital Foundation, 2015-2018)
NHMRC Biomedical Research (Training) Fellowship (2011-2014)
NHMRC Project Funding (2014-2016)
Robinson Research Institute Near Miss Funding
Channel 7 Children's Research Foundation
Thrasher Research Foundation (Early Career Award)
Women's and Children's Research Foundation
University of Adelaide-Lyell McEwin Hospital Strategic Initiative
Colin Matthews Research Grant
Robinson Research Institute Travel Award
Last 5 years
1. Hodyl NA, Schneider LA, Vallence AM, Clow A, Ridding MC & Pitcher JB (in press). The cortisol awakening response influences performance of a serial sequence reaction time task. International Journal of Psychophysiology
2. Hodyl NA & Muhlhausler B (accepted). DOHADomics: Novel insights, challenges and practical implications of DOHAD-omics research. Medical Journal of Australia.
3. Froessler B, Palm P, Weber I, Hodyl NA, Singh R & Murphy EM (accepted). The important role for intravenous iron in perioperative patient blood management: a randomised controlled trial. Annals of Surgery
4. Stark MJ, Hodyl NA, Andersen CC (2015). Effects of antenatal magnesium sulphate treatment for neonatal neuro-protection on cerebral oxygen kinetics, Pediatric Research, 78(3):310-314
5. Stark MJ, Hodyl NA, Belegar KK & Andersen CC. (2015) Feto-placental inflammation, cerebral oxygen consumption and susceptibility to early brain injury in very preterm newborns. Archives of Disease in Childhood (in press)
6. Andersen CC, Karayil SM, Hodyl NA & Stark MJ. (2015) Red blood cell transfusion favourably alters cerebral oxygen extraction in very preterm newborns. Archives of Disease in Childhood. 100(5):F433-F435
7. Grzeskowiak LE, Hodyl NA, Stark MJ, Morrison JL, Clifton VL (2015) Association of early and late maternal smoking during pregnancy with offspring body mass index at 4 to 5 years of age. Journal of Developmental Origins of Health and Disease (in press)
8. Goldsworthy MR*, Vallence A*, Hodyl NA, Semmler J, Pitcher JB & Ridding MC. (2015) Probing changes in corticospinal excitability following theta burst stimulation of the human primary motor cortex. Clinical Neurophysiology (in press).
9. Vallence AM*, Goldsworthy MR*, Hodyl NA, Semmler JG, Pitcher JB & Ridding MC. (2015). Inter- and intra-subject variability of motor cortex plasticity following continuous theta-burst stimulation, Neuroscience (304:266-278).
10. Saif Z, Hodyl NA, Stark MJ, Fuller PJ, Cole T, Lu N & Clifton VL. (2015) Placental glucocorticoid receptor isoform expression is altered in pregnancies associated with preterm delivery. Placenta. Jul;36(7):723-30
11. Froessler B, Weber I, Hodyl NA & Saadat-Gilani K. (2015) Dynamic changes in clot formation using thromboelastometry after reinfusion of unwashed cell salvaged whole blood in total hip arthroplasty. Blood Transfusion. 13(3):448-454 01
12. Hodyl NA, Grzeskowiak LG, Stark MJ, Scheil W, & Clifton VL (2014). The impact of Aboriginal status, active cigarette smoking and smoking cessation during pregnancy on perinatal outcomes in an Australian cohort. Medical Journal of Australia, 201(5): 274-278
13. Hodyl NA, Stark MJ, Scheil W, Grzeskowiak LG & Clifton VL (2014) Perinatal outcomes following maternal asthma and cigarette smoking during pregnancy. European Respiratory Journal, 43(3), 704-16
14. Clow A, Law R, Evans P, Vallence A, Hodyl NA, Goldsworthy MR, Rothwell JR & Ridding MC. (2014). Day differences in the cortisol awakening response predict day differences in synaptic plasticity in the brain. Stress, 17(3):219-23
15. Bain E, Pierides KL, Clifton VL, Hodyl NA, Stark MJ, Crowther CA & Middleton P (in press) Interventions for managing asthma in pregnancy (Review). Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2014, Issue 6.
16. Saif Z, Hodyl NA, Hobbs E, Tuck AR, Butler M, Osei-Kumah A & Clifton VL (2014). The human placenta expresses multiple glucocorticoid receptor isoforms that are altered by fetal sex, growth restriction and maternal asthma. Placenta, 35(4):260-268.
17. Froessler B, Collingwood J, Hodyl NA & Dekker G (2014) Intravenous ferric carboxymaltose for anaemia in pregnancy. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth, Mar 25;14:115.
18. Hodyl NA, Stark MJ, Butler M & Clifton VL. (2013) Placental P-glycoprotein is unaffected by timing of antenatal glucocorticoid therapy but reduced in SGA preterm infants. Placenta, 34(4):325-30.
19. Jones M, Christofis L, Smith S & Hodyl N. (2013). An exploration of the perceptions of emergency physicians and trainees towards emergency nurse practitioners in Australia. Australasian Emergency Nursing Journal, 16(2), 73-80
20. Stark MJ, Clifton VL & Hodyl NA (2013). Differential effects of docasahexanoic acid (DHA) on preterm and term placental oxidant/anti-oxidant balance. Reproduction, 146(3), 243-51
21. Bain E, Pierides KL, Middleton P, Clifton VL, Hodyl NA, Stark MJ & Crowther CA (2013) Interventions for managing asthma in pregnancy (Protocols). Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, Oct 21;10:CD010660
22. Clifton VL, Hodyl NA, Fogarty PA, Torpy D, Roberts R, Nettelbeck T & Hetzel B. (2013) The impact of iodine supplementation and bread fortification in a mildly iodine deficient population of pregnant women in South Australia. The Nutrition Journal, 15;12:32.
23. Froessler B, Cocchiaro C, Saadat-Gilani K, Hodyl N & Dekker G (2013). Intravenous iron sucrose versus oral iron ferrous sulphate for antenatal and post-partum iron deficiency anaemia: a randomised trial. The Journal of Maternal-Fetal and Neonatal Medicine May;26(7):654-9
24. Clifton VL, Davies M, Moore V, Wright IMR, Ali Z & Hodyl NA. (2012) Developmental perturbation induced by maternal asthma during pregnancy: the short and long term impacts on offspring. Journal of Pregnancy, 2012:741613. Epub 2012 Jul 8.
25. Clifton VL, Stark MJ, Osei-Kumah A & Hodyl NA (2012). The feto-placental unit, pregnancy pathology and impact on long-term maternal health. Placenta, 33, Suppl, S37-41
26. Stark MJ, Hodyl NA, Butler M, Clifton VL (2012) Localisation and characterisation of uncoupling protein-2 (UCP2) in the human preterm placenta. Placenta, 33, 1020-1025
27. Clifton VL, Smith B, Roy A, Osei-Kumah A, Hodyl N, Stark M, Parange N & Saif Z (2012). Asthma during pregnancy. In: Polosa R, Papale G, Holgate ST, (eds.). Advances in Asthma Management. Future Medicine Ltd; 104-13.
28. McLernon PC, Wood LG, Murphy VE, Hodyl NA & Clifton VL (2012). Fatty acid profile of pregnant women with asthma. The European e-Journal of Clinical Nutrition and Metabolism, 7(2), e78-e85.
29. Roex A, Nikpoor P, Ven Eerd E, Hodyl N & Dekker G (2012). Serial plotting on customised fundal height charts results in doubling of the antenatal detection of small for gestational age fetus in nulliparous women. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, 52, 78-82.
30. McLernon P, Wood LG, Murphy VE, Hodyl NA & Clifton VL (2012). Circulating antioxidant profile of pregnant women with asthma. Clinical Nutrition 31(1):99-107
31. Hodyl NA, Stark MJ, Osei-Kumah A & Clifton VL (2011). Prenatal programming of the innate immune response following in-utero exposure to inflammation: a sexually dimorphic process? Expert Reviews in Clinical Immunology, 7(5), 579-592
32. Hodyl NA, Stark MJ, Osei-Kumah A, Bowman M, Gibson P & Clifton VL (2011) Fetal glucocorticoid-regulated pathways are not affected by inhaled corticosteroid use for asthma during pregnancy. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, 183(6), 716-22
33. Stark MJ, Hodyl NA, Wright I & Clifton VL (2011) Influence of sex and glucocorticoid exposure on preterm placental pro-oxidant-antioxidant balance. Placenta, 32, 865-870
34. Stark MJ, Hodyl NA, Wright IMR & Clifton VL (2011). The influence of sex and antenatal betamethasone exposure on vasoconstrictors and the preterm microvasculature. The Journal of Maternal-Fetal & Neonatal Medicine, 24(10):1215-20.
35. Scott NM, Hodyl NA, Osei-Kumah A, Stark MJ, Smith R & Clifton VL (2011). The presence of maternal asthma during pregnancy suppressed the placental pro-inflammatory response to an immune challenge in-vitro. Placenta, 32(6), 454-461
36. Hodyl NA, Wyper H, Osei-Kumah A, Scott N, Murphy VE, Gibson P, Smith R & Clifton VL. (2010). Sex-specific associations between cortisol and birth weight in pregnancies complicated by asthma are not due to differential glucocorticoid receptor expression. Thorax, 65(8), 677-83.
37. Hodyl NA, Walker FR, Krivanek KM, Clifton VL & Hodgson DM (2010). Prenatal endotoxin exposure alters behavioural pain responses to lipopolysaccharide in adult offspring. Physiology and Behavior, 100(2), 143-147.
38. Clifton VL, Hodyl NA, Murphy VE, Giles WB, Baxter RC & Smith R. (2010). Effect of maternal asthma, inhaled glucocorticoids and cigarette use during pregnancy on the newborn insulin-like growth factor axis. Growth Hormone and IGF Research, 20(1), 39-48.
Endocrine Society of Australia (ESA) -Treasurer
DOHaD Australia and New Zealand (DOHaD ANZ) - SA State Representative
I am a member of the following societies:
Endocrine Society of Australia (ESA)
International Society for Developmental Origins of Health and Disease (DOHaD)
DOHaD Australia and New Zealand (DOHaD ANZ)
International Federation of placental Associations (IFPA)
Australian and New Zealand Placental Research Australia (ANZPRA)
Perinatal Society of Australia and New Zealand (PSANZ)
Fetal and Neonatal Physiological Society (FNPS)
Healthy Development Adelaide (HDA)
Entry last updated: Wednesday, 8 Feb 2017