Dr Stephan Thiel
- PhD (Geophysics) The University of Adelaide, 2008. title "Modelling and inversion of magnetotelluric data for 2-D and 3-D lithospheric structure, with application to obducted and subducted terranes"
- MSc (Geophysics) The Freiberg University of Mining and Technology, 2006.
- BSc Hons (Geophysics), The University of Adelaide, 2002
My main projects involve the Australian Lithopsheric Architecture Magnetotelluric Project (AusLAMP) in South Australia.
For email contact please use firstname.lastname@example.org.
I am an electromagnetic (EM) geophysicist specialising in magnetotellurics (MT), which allows to image the electrical resistivity distribution of the Earth from a few tens of metres to hundreds of kilometres depth. The technique is sensitive to fluids and other minor conducting phases and is therefore a powerful complementary tool alongside seismic methods to image the deep subsurface. My current focus is on understanding the lithopsheric architecture of the Australian continent with particular focus on South Australia and its mineral potential. I am overseeeing the Australian Lithospheric Architecture Magnetotelluric Project (AusLAMP) in South Australia. In the past, my research with the help of several PhD and Honours students has also focussed on geothermal applications of MT with particular focus on characterisation and the monitoring of fluid stimulation of enhanced geothermal systems (EGS). My main research foci are:
- Mantle fertilisation and crustal fluid pathways in continental lithosphere
- MT monitoring in geothermal EGS systems
- Characterisation of EGS systems
- Deformation and the implications for fluid flow and rheology
- Resistivity mapping of mantle lithosphere and the link to past tectonic events
Google Scholar profile - click here
ResearchGate profile - click here
LinkedIn profile - click here
See google scholar and researchgate links above.
Member of American Physical Society
Member of the Society of Exploration Geophysicists (SEG)
Member of the Australian Society of Exploration Geophysicists (ASEG)
Member of the Geological Society Australia (GSA)
To link to this page, please use the following URL: http://www.adelaide.edu.au/directory/stephan.thiel