|The University of Adelaide||Home | Faculties & Divisions | Search|
|Faculties & Divisions | People A to Z | Media Expertise | Phonebook||
|Public browsing [Login]|
Professor Steven Cooper
To link to this page, please use the following URL:
Professor Steven Cooper is a Principal Researcher at the South Australian Museum and an affiliate at the University of Adelaide, where he is a member of the Australian Centre for Evolutionary Biology and Biodiversity, associated with the School of Biological Sciences. His research investigates the diversity, evolution and molecular ecology of Australian fauna, with a strong focus on subterranean and groundwater invertebrate fauna from the arid zone of Australia.
Awards & Achievements
He was awarded an Alexander von Humboldt fellowship in 2003 for research on subterranean faunas and was a visiting Conviron Fellow at the University of Sheffield, UK in 2008.
1. Phylogeography of Australian fauna: the biogeographic history of organisms and factors that influence speciation. Collaborators: Prof. R. Butlin (University of Sheffield, UK), Dr. T. Kawakami (Sweden), Dr. Simon Baxter (University of Adelaide): morabine grasshopper evolution. Dr. M. Gardner (Flinders University), Mr. M. Adams (SA Museum), PhD student Ms. M. Ansari: phylogeography.
2. Molecular systematics and evolutionary origins of Australian arid zone fauna (Major project on the evolution of subterranean animals in central WA: collaborators: Profs. W. Humphreys and M. Harvey, WA Museum; Dr. R. King, Dr C. Watts, Dr R. Leijs, Dr. M. Stevens SA Museum; Prof. A. Austin, Dr. M. Guzik, Dr. K. Abrams, University of Adelaide; Dr S. Taiti Italy; Dr Joo-Lae Cho, Sth Korea. Ph.D students: Mr. M. Javidkar, Ms. S. Harrison.
3. Conservation/ population genetics/ social behaviour/ systematic studies of bats, reptiles, marsupials, wasps, spiders and Antarctic invertebrates; collaborators: Prof. Andy Austin, Dr. D. Taggart, Dr. M. Rix, University of Adelaide; Prof. S. Carthew (Charles Darwin University), Dr M. Harvey WA Museum. Dr. C. Kemper, Mr M. Adams SA Museum, Dr. A. Taylor, Monash University; Dr M. Lancaster (Healsville Sanctuary); Ph.D students: Mr T. Reardon, Mr. N. Fuller, Ms. K. Trengrove, Ms. You Li, Ms. A. McLean, Ms. R. Kittel Mr. A. Castrillon.
121. Javidkar M., Cooper S.J.B., King R.A., Humphreys W.F. & Austin A.D. (2015) Molecular phylogenetic and morphological analyses reveal a new Southern Hemisphere oniscidean (Crustacea, Isopoda) family with a unique water transport system. Invertebrate Systematics 29: 554-577.
120. Velasco-Castrillón A., Sands C.J., McInnes S.J., Schultz M.B., Arróniz-Crespo M., D'Haese C., Gibson J.A.E., Adams B., Page T.J., Austin A.D., Cooper S.J.B. & Stevens M.I. (2015) Mitochondrial DNA reveals hidden diversity for tardigrades from across the Antarctic realm. Invertebrate Systematics 29: 578-590.
119. Harvey M.S., Main B.Y., Rix M.G., Cooper S.J.B. (2015) Refugia within refugia: in situ speciation and conservation of threatened Bertmainius (Araneae: Migidae), a new genus of relictual trapdoor spiders endemic to the mesic zone of south-western Australia. Invertebrate Systematics 29: 511-553.
118. Malekian M., Cooper S. J. B., Saint K. M., Lancaster M. L., Taylor A.C. & Carthew S. M. (2015) Effects of landscape matrix on population connectivity of an arboreal mammal, Petaurus breviceps. Ecology and Evolution 5(18): 3939-3953.
117. Leijs R, Bradford T, Mitchell J.G., Humphreys W.F., Cooper S.J.B., Goonan P. & King R.A. (2015) The evolution of epigean and stygobitic species of Koonunga (Syncarida: Anaspidaceae) in Southern Australia, with the description of three new species. PLoS One 10(8): e0134673.
116. Lancaster M.L., Cooper S.J.B., Taylor A.C. & Carthew S.M. (2015) Entering a hostile matrix: genetic consequences of forest fragmentation by agricultural land in an arboreal marsupial. Landscape Ecology (on-line early 1/10/2015).
115. Murphy N. P., Guzik M. T., Cooper S. J. B. & Austin A. D. (2015) Desert spring refugia: Museums of diversity or evolutionary cradles? Zoologica Scripta (on-line early 3rd Aug 2015).
114. Hose G.C., Asmyhr M.G., Cooper S.J.B. & Humphreys W.F. (2015) Down under Down Under: Austral groundwater life. In Stow A., Maclean N. & Holwell G.I. (Eds), Austral Ark, pp. 512-536, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK.
113. Karanovic T., Eberhard S., Cooper S.J.B. & Guzik M. (2015) Morphological and molecular study of the genus Nitokra (Crustacea, Copepoda, Harpacticoida) in a small palaeochannel in Western Australia. Organisms Diversity and Evolution 15: 65-99.
112. Tierney S.M., Cooper S. J. B., Saint K. M., Bertozzi T., Hyde J., Humphreys W.F. & Andrew D. Austin (2015) Opsin transcripts of predatory diving beetles: a comparison of surface and subterranean photic niches. Royal Society Open Science 2: 140386.
111. Li Y., Lancaster M.L., Cooper S. J.B., Taylor A.C. & Carthew, S.M. (2015) Population structure and gene flow in the endangered southern brown bandicoot (Isoodon obesulus obesulus) across a fragmented landscape. Conservation Genetics 16: 331-345.
110. Ansari T.H., Bertozzi T., Hacking J., Cooper S. J. B. and Gardner M. G. (2014) Random non-coding fragments of lizard DNA: Anonymous nuclear loci for the Australian skink, Tiliqua rugosa and their utility in other Egernia group species. Australian Journal of Zoology 62: 515-518.
109. Potter S., Close R.L., Taggart D.A., Cooper S.J.B. & Eldridge M.D.B. (2014) Taxonomy of rock-wallabies, Petrogale (Marsupialia: Macropodidae). IV. Multifaceted study of the brachyotis group identifies additional taxa. Australian Journal of Zoology 62: 401-414. 108. Li Y., Lancaster M.L., Carthew, S.M., Packer J. G. & Cooper S. J.B. (2014) Delineation of conservation units in an endangered marsupial, the southern brown bandicoot (Isoodon obesulus obesulus) in South Australia/Western Victoria, Australia. Australian Journal of Zoology 62: 345-359.
107. Cooper S.J.B., Watts C.H.S., Saint K.M. & Leijs R. (2014) Phylogenetic relationships of Australian Scirtidae (Coleoptera) based on mitochondrial and nuclear sequences. Invertebrate Systematics 28: 628-642.
106. Fuller N.C., Carthew S.M. & Cooper S.J.B. (2014) Isolation and characterisation of 16 microsatellite markers for the endangered Gould’s long-eared bat (Nyctophilus gouldi) and cross-amplification in the lesser long-eared bat (N. geoffroyi). Conservation Genetics Resources 6: 519-522.
105. Reardon T.B., McKenzie N.L., Cooper S.J.B., Appleton B., Carthew S. & Adams M. (2014) A molecular and morphological investigation of species boundaries and phylogenetic relationships in Australian free-tailed bats Mormopterus (Chiroptera: Molossidae). Australian Journal of Zoology 62: 109-136.
104. McLean A.L., Cooper S.J.B., Lancaster M.L. & Carthew S.M. (2014) Development of 16 microsatellite loci for the endangered sandhill dunnart (Sminthopsis psammophila). Conservation Genetics Resources 6: 323-326.
103. Bradford T., Humphreys W., Austin A. & Cooper S.J.B. (2014) Identification of trophic niches of subterranean diving beetles in a calcrete aquifer by DNA and stable isotope analyses. Marine and Freshwater Research 65: 95-104.
Society of Australian Systematic Biologists (council member).
Editor of the CSIRO journal Australian Journal of Zoology.
Member of the Society of Australian Systematic Biologists, and Genetics Society of Australasia.
Copyright © 2013 The University of Adelaide
Last Modified 26/07/2013 Marketing & Communications
CRICOS Provider Number 00123M