Dr Wen Soong
I am an Associate Professor in the School of Electrical and Electronic
Engineering at the University of Adelaide, Australia. My research
interests include: high performance permanent magnet and reluctance
electrical machines and drives, energy storage applications in power
systems and condition monitoring of electrical machines.
- Ph.D. University of Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom (Sep. 1990 - Oct. 1993). Title : "Design and Modelling of Axially-Laminated Interior Permanent Magnet Motors for Field-Weakening Applications".
- B.Eng. (Hons). University of Adelaide, Adelaide, Australia (Mar 1986 - Dec 1989). First class honours.
- School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, University of Adelaide, Adelaide, Australia (1998 to present). Courses taught include : Electrical and Electronic Engineering 1A (1st year), Circuit Analysis (2nd year), Project Management and Systems Engineering (3rd year), Electrical Energy Systems (3rd year), Power Electronics (4th year), Power Quality and Condition Monitoring (4th year)
- General Electric Corporate Research and Development Center, Schenectady, New York, United States (Dec 1993 to Jun 1998). Staff engineer in the Power Controls Program.
- AWA Defence Industries Pty. Ltd., DSTO, Adelaide, Australia. (Jan. 1990 - Aug. 1990), radio-frequency test engineer. Testing of military related communications equipment and design and development of test equipment.
- Electrical Machines
- Power Electronics
- Renewable Energy
- Condition Monitoring of Induction Machines
I have created a set of information sheets called "Power Engineering Briefing Notes" PEBN which presently cover a range of topics regarding testing electrical machines and doing a PhD. These are available at http://www.eleceng.adelaide.edu.au/research/power/pebn/
For a full listing of my publications please see:
Entry last updated: Tuesday, 28 Mar 2017
The information in this directory is provided to support the academic,
administrative and business activities of the University of Adelaide.
To facilitate these activities, entries in the University Phone
Directory are not limited to University employees.
The use of information provided here for any other purpose, including
the sending of unsolicited commercial material via email or any other
electronic format, is strictly prohibited. The University reserves the
right to recover all costs incurred in the event of breach of this