The Waite Arboretum
The Waite Arboretum occupies 30 hectares and contains about 2,300 specimens representing more than 800 species in 200 genera, all growing under natural annual rainfall of 624 mm.
Open free to the public every day of the year from dawn to dusk, except on days of extreme fire danger. For the tranquillity of the park and to protect wildlife, dogs are not allowed in the Arboretum. Guide dogs are permitted.
Every tree is labelled and mapped. Special collections include eucalypts, palms, dragon trees, pears and oaks.
What's on in the Arboretum
Free guided walks of the Waite Arboretum are held on the first Sunday of every month. The walk starts at 11:00am and ends at 12:30pm. Meet the guide at the entrance of Urrbrae House. Bookings are not necessary.
Groups of 10 or more can book guided walks on other days and times by arrangement. Charges apply.
After a year of special event in 2014 we are planning more for next year. Details coming soon.
History of the Waite Arboretum
The Arboretum was established on land given by Peter Waite to the University of Adelaide, to be held upon trust and in perpetuity as a park or garden for the enjoyment of the public.
Planting of trees from around the world began in 1928.
The Waite Arboretum Logo
The Dragon Tree
Arboretum and Gardens Support
- The Friends of the Waite Arboretum
- Palm and Cycad Society
- Mediterranean Garden Society (SA)
- Heritage Rose Society