For the purpose of this scheme, an elite athlete is defined as someone who competes nationally or internationally in a sport approved by the University of Adelaide.
You must be identified and recognised by one of the following organisations as an 'elite athlete':
- Australian Institute of Sport
- State institutes or acadamies of sport (e.g. SASI)
- AFL Player's Association
- Australian Cricketers' Association
- Rugby Union Players' Association
- Rugby League Professional's Association
- Australian Professional Footballers' Association
Or be a national senior squad member or compete at a national senior level of an eligible sport.
Eligible categories of sport are as listed as 'funded sports' at the Australian Institute of Sport.
Once you have applied, you will be contacted to arrange an appointment with the Manager. The appointment will enable your status to be confirmed, and a discussion regarding any arrangements that may need to be negotiated in relation to your study.
- Register online and upload your formal signed documentation from your national sporting body or listed organisation, indicating your level of competition.
- After you have registered on line, you will be contacted by the Elite Athlete office to arrange an appointment.
- At the appointment we will:
- Confirm your elite athlete status
- Discuss how the Elite Athlete program can support you
- Discuss any arrangements that need to be negotiated around you study
- Discuss significant dates in the University calendar compared with your training/competition commitments (please bring any training/competition schedules with you to the meeting)
- Answer any questions you have about the program.
- After you status has been approved, a memo will be sent to you Faculty/School confirming your Elite Athlete status.
You must register each year to continue to be eligible for elite athlete status.