How Can I MELT?
A good start is to look at various MELT and to determine which one is most appropriate for your context. Proceedings from the recent I-MELT 2017 conference are an excellent source of inspiration. They showcase the already broad application of MELT frameworks across multiple contexts, including
- Work Skill Development for aspiring accountants, the minerals industry, Work Integrated Learning, and employability skills
- MELT adaptations addressing academic literacy, research skills in linguistics, and experimental creative writing
- Curriculum mapping and development of marking rubrics for law assessments
- Specifically tailored cultural applications (e.g., in the Pacific and Mexico)
- Engaged Learning and a practice-based approach to business management education
- Critical Thinking Skills in defence, management studies and during clinical handover
- e-Learning in biomedical sciences and plant physiology
- Institution/system-level applications in the UK, the Pacific and Cambodia
- Learning and teaching partnerships and a community of practice
- Optimising Problem Solving in the context of numeracy skills, a Master’s leadership course, mathematics teaching and engineering
- Research Skill Development in pathology and clinical science, social science preparatory courses, MBA courses, the natural sciences, a social science course, and as a means to address equity gaps
- Schooling applications addressing South Sudanese refugees, grade 5-12 music education and teacher education
- Research-based curriculum design
- Evidence-based decision making
- Supervising undergraduate dissertations.
Then consider changes that need to be made to the terminology and to the layout. Capturing the main point of the framework as a new title is particularly challenging, but essential for communication. People particularly find the MELT pentagon in word version a very helpful starting point.
The implementation of your MELT should be kept in mind during its development, and looking at various approaches to use in teaching, learning and assessment is recommended:
The MELToon was developed by a colleague whose PhD concerned the use of cartoons in education. It may give you a different angle on how to MELT.