Assessment Grievance: Appealing a mark or grade

If you are dissatisfied with your mark or grade, you may request a review or re-mark. There must be academic or procedural reasons for your request, so you can’t simply request a re-mark because you are disappointed with your result.

Before pursuing a request for re-mark, it is important to note that in most circumstances any revised mark will stand as the final mark for the work, regardless of whether it is higher or lower than the original mark or grade awarded. 

You are encouraged to seek free, independent and confidential advice on what options are available to you in your particular circumstances, by contacting an Education and Welfare Officer (EWO) in Student Care.

Your assessment grievance must follow these stages in accordance with the Student Grievance Resolution Process.

*Strict time limits apply for students studying a postgraduate course in online teaching periods 1 - 6. Please refer to the Student Grievance Resolution (SGRP) document for more details - see page 4. 

Stage 1

You must lodge a request for review or re-mark with the person who marked your assignment within 10 business days of receiving your result.

Stage 2

If your request for a remark or review is not granted or you are unsatisfied with the outcome, you can lodge a Stage 2: Formal Review request with the Head of School.

You must do this within 10 business days of receiving your result - please bear this in mind when pursuing your Stage 1 grievance - and include:

  • a summary of the reasons why you believe your assessment work deserves a higher mark 
  • reasons for your request must be directed to the academic quality of your work and or a failure in procedure. 

The Head of School must respond to your request within 10 business days.

Stage 3

If the Head of School rejects your request or you are still unsatisfied with the outcome, you may wish to lodge a Stage 3: Internal University Appeal within 20 business days of notification of your Stage 2 outcome.

To do this, you must complete this student appeal application form. Please right click and 'save as' a copy for completion.

Before submitting your appeal application form, you should also read the appeal submission guide to ensure your application is complete.

Assessment of appeal application for merit

If your appeal application is assessed as having merit by Student Affairs it will be sent to the respondent (the Head of School or Executive Dean).

The respondent may request that the matter be dealt with by a pre-hearing review or a hearing of the Student Grievance and Appeals Committee. Alternatively, Student Affairs may attempt to negotiate a settlement agreement between you and the respondent to achieve a satisfactory outcome for both parties.

If you are not happy with the outcome of your appeal, you are able to make a complaint to an external review agency. You are able to do this at any stage of the process. A number of external agencies may be able to assist, depending on your type of grievance.

Can’t find what you are looking for?

Student Grievance Resolution Process (SGRP)


Any enquiries regarding the Student Grievance Resolution Process (SGRP) can be directed to the Student Grievance and Conduct Advisors.

Contact a Student Grievance and Conduct Advisor