Research & Higher Degree Students

Higher degree by research students

If you wish to appeal a suspension of candidature, thesis examination mark you will need to follow the steps outlined, below, for lodging your appeal. Please also refer to the University's Research Student Handbook for information about resolving grievances, complaints and problems during candidature.

If you wish to report matters of academic/research misconduct, you will need to access the Responsible Conduct of Research Policy and associated procedure.

There is no Stage 2: Formal Review process for HDR students wishing to appeal their theses result as theses are examined in a comprehensive process involving at least two examiners.

If you are dissatisfied with your thesis examination result and wish to pursue an appeal of your result, you must proceed straight to making a Stage 3: Internal University Appeal. Your appeal will be permitted on procedural grounds only.

You are encouraged to seek free, independent and confidential advice on what options are available to you in your particular circumstances, by contacting an Education and Welfare Officer (EWO) in Student Care.

You may also wish to access the Higher Degree by Research (HDR) Student Grievance Procedures Fact Sheet, developed by the Department of Education and Training, to assist you in navigating the different avenues available to pursue a grievance.

Lodging your appeal

You must complete this student appeal application form. Before submitting your appeal application form, you should also read the appeal submission guide to ensure your application is complete.

If your appeal application is assessed as having merit by Student Affairs it will be sent to the respondent (the Head of School or Executive Dean). The respondent may request that the matter be dealt with by a pre-hearing review or a hearing of the Student Grievance and Appeals Committee.

Alternatively, Student Affairs may attempt to negotiate a settlement agreement between you and the respondent to achieve a satisfactory outcome for both parties.

If you are not happy with the outcome of your appeal, you are able to make a complaint to an external review agency. You are able to do this at any stage of the process.

A number of external agencies may be able to assist, depending on your type of grievance.

Can’t find what you are looking for?

Student Grievance Resolution Process (SGRP)


Any enquiries regarding the Student Grievance Resolution Process (SGRP) can be directed to the Student Grievance and Conduct Advisors.

Contact a Student Grievance and Conduct Advisor