Dr Bastien Llamas
I pursued graduate studies in the area of biomedical research where I concentrated on mapping genes with phenotypic effects in animal models, particularly those associated with disease. During this training I developed expertise in the areas of molecular genomics and bioinformatics, forged by years of practice in 4 research institutes in France (CNRS, Pasteur Institute, INSERM) and Canada (Montreal Cardiac Research Institute, IRCM).
I now intend to merge cutting-edge methods and knowledge from biomedical research with archaeological and evolutionary questions and datasets, in truly multi-disciplinary projects.
My current projects at the Australian Centre for Ancient DNA (ACAD) are targeting several topics in evolutionary biology, including:
- The role of epigenetic change, where gene expression is regulated without changing the DNA sequence, in animals' adaptation (specifically North American bison) to rapid climate change.
- The genetic consequences of colonisation on the immune system of indigenous societies, with a focus on the dramatic South American population collapse after European colonisers introduced new Old World diseases.
- The migration history of anatomically modern humans and the reconstruction of major peopling events across the globe.
- The molecular evolution of extinct Australian marsupials.
From here you can access all of ACAD's online presence and explore the fascinating world of ancient DNA (includes links to our website, our blog, , , , ).
PhD positions are available for the bison epigenetics project. Contact me if you are interested
Interested in epigenetics research in South Australia? Join EpiCSA now!
Centre de Recherches Mathématiques (CRM), University of Montreal, QC, Canada
Workshop on Coalescent Theory: New Developments and Applications, 7-11 Oct 2013
National Centre for Scientific Research (CNRS), France
Paleogenomics Summer School: Whole Genome Analysis of Ancient Organisms, 17-21 Oct 2011
University of Montreal, QC, Canada
Doctor of Philosophy - Molecular Biology, Nov 2007
The Jackson Laboratory, Cold Spring Harbor, ME, USA
Short Course on Mathematical Approaches to the Analysis of Complex Phenotypes, 18-24 Sept 2002
University of Bordeaux 2, Bordeaux, France
Master of Science - Neurosciences, Sept 2001
University of Orsay Paris XI, Orsay, France
Bachelor of Science - Cell Biology and Physiology, Molecular and Cellular Genetics and Evolution, Jan 2000
University of Paris-Est Marne-la-Vallée, Champs-sur-Marne, France
Diploma of Higher Education - Life Sciences, Sept 1997
Awards & Achievements
- Overseas Conference Scheme 2011 of the University of Adelaide Faculty of Sciences - Mar 2011.
- Travel award of the Mathematics Research Centre, University of Montreal, 7-11 Oct 2013.
- Australian Research Council Postdoctoral Fellowship - 2010-12.
- Postdoctoral Fellowship (Quebec Fund for Research on Nature and Technologies) - 2010-11.
- Overseas Conference Scheme 2011 of the University of Adelaide Faculty of Sciences - Mar 2011.
- Writing scholarship of the Faculty of Graduate Studies of the University of Montreal - Winter session 2007.
- Travel award of the Faculty of Graduate Studies of the University of Montreal - Apr 2006.
- Travel award of the International Mammalian Genome Conference - Strasbourg, France, 4-8 Nov 2005.
- Educational award of the Canadian Hypertension Society - Canadian cardiovascular congress - Montreal, QC, 22-26 Oct 2005.
- André Caillé scholarship of the IRCM - 2005-06.
- Scholarship of the Faculty of Graduate Studies of the University of Montreal - 2004-05.
- Travel award of the Faculty of Graduate Studies of the University of Montreal - Jun 2004.
- AstraZeneca R&D presentation award - Xth Scientific Day of the Molecular Biology Programs of the University of Montreal - Montreal, QC, 19 May 2004.
- Scholarship of the Faculty of Graduate Studies of the University of Montreal - 2003-04.
- 2016-2018: Australian Research Council Discovery Indigenous IN160100007. "The genomic history of Indigenous Australia". Investigators: Raymond Tobler, Bastien Llamas, Keryn Walshe, Peter Sutton, David Reich, Chris Tyler-Smith, Wolfgang Haak. AUS635,000
- 2015-2017: Hermon Slade Foundation. "Resolving the taxonomic status of ecologically keystone and threatened bats in New Guinea". Investigators: Kyle Armstrong, Ken Aplin, Bastien Llamas. AUS84,800.
- 2013-16: Australian Research Council Linkage Project LP130100646. "The role of epigenetic modifications in bovid adaptation to environmental change". Investigators: Alan Cooper, Catherine M Suter, Mike J Wilkinson, Stefan G Hiendleder, Bastien Llamas, John R Stephen, Jeremy F Taylor, Daniel H Densham. AUS1,109,290 (ARC contribution AUS554,645, partner organisations contribution AUS554,645).
- 2013-15: Australian Research Council Discovery Project DP130102158.
"Refining the timescale of human evolution and dispersal using ancient
DNA". Investigators: Wolfgang Haak, Simon Ho, Bastien Llamas, Doron
Behar. AUS270,000. [Investigator role relinquished]
- 2010-12: Australian Research Council Discovery Project DP1095782. "A
shipload of consequences: studying the impact of Old World diseases on
native South American populations via ancient DNA". Investigators:
Wolfgang Haak, Bastien Llamas, Lluis Quintana-Murci, Austin L. Hughes.
Statistics by Google Scholar are available here.
Note: Metrics are according to ISI
Journal Citation Reports® 2014 and formatted as [5-year impact factor; Category: ranking/total number in category].
B & Deschepper CF (2005) Identification and
validation of loci and candidate genes linked to cardiac hypertrophy. Chapter
in: Methods in Molecular Medicine, vol.
112: Molecular Cardiology: Methods and Protocols, pps 321-38. Edited by:
Sun Z © Humana Press Inc., Totowa, NJ.
Refereed Journal Articles
- Mitchell KJ, Wood JR, Llamas B, McLenachan PA, Kardailsky O, Scofield RP, Worthy TH, Cooper A (2016) Ancient mitochondrial genomes clarify the evolutionary history of New Zealand's enigmatic acanthisittid wrens. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution, Available online 31 May 2016. [4.064; Evolutionary biology: 10/46]
- Valverde G, Barreto Romero MI, Flores Espinoza I, Cooper A, Fehren-Schmitz L, Llamas B*, Haak W* (2016) Ancient DNA Analysis Suggests Negligible Impact of the Wari Empire Expansion in Peru's Central Coast during the Middle Horizon. PLoS ONE, 11(6):e0155508. [3.702; Multidisciplinary sciences: 9/57] [* equal contribution]
- Llamas B*, Fehren-Schmitz L*, Valverde G, Soubrier J, Mallick S, Rohland N, Nordenfelt S, Valdiosera C, Richards SM, Rohrlach A, Barreto Romero MI, Flores Espinoza I, Tomasto Cagigao E, Watson Jiménez L, Makowski K, Leboreiro Reyna IS, Mansilla Lory J, Ballivián Torrez JA, Rivera MA, Burger RL, Constanza Ceruti M, Reinhard J, Wells RS, Politis G, Santoro CM, Standen VG, Smith C, Reich D, Ho SYW, Cooper A, Haak W (2016) Ancient mitochondrial DNA provides high-resolution timescale of the peopling of the Americas. Science Advances, 2:e1501385. [IF = NA] [* equal contribution]
- Schiffels S, Haak W, Paajanen P, Llamas B, Popescu E, Loe L, Clarke R, Lyons A, Mortimer R, Sayer D, Tyler-Smith C, Cooper A, Durbin R (2016) Iron Age and Anglo-Saxon genomes from East England reveal British migration history. Nature Communications, 7:10408. [11.904; Multidisciplinary sciences: 3/57]
- Mathieson I, Lazaridis I, Rohland N, Mallick S, Patterson N, Roodenberg SA, Harney E, Stewardson K, Fernandes D, Novak M, Sirak K, Gamba C, Jones ER, Llamas B,
Dryomov S, Pickrell J, Arsuaga JL, Bermúdez de Castro JM, Carbonell E, Gerritsen F, Khokhlov A, Kuznetsov P, Lozano M, Meller H, Mochalov O, Moiseyev V, Rojo Guerra MA, Roodenberg J, Vergès M, Krause J, Cooper A, Alt KW, Brown D,
Anthony D, Lalueza Fox C, Haak W, Pinhasi R, Reich D (2015) Genome-wide patterns of selection in 230 ancient Eurasians. Nature, 528:499-503. [41.296; Multidisciplinary sciences: 1/57]
- Khong JJ, Wang LY, Smyth GK, McNab AA, Hardy TG, Selva D, Llamas B,
Jung C-H, Sharma S, Burdon KP, Ebeling PR, Craig JE (2015) Gene
expression profiling of orbital adipose tissue in thyroid orbitopathy. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science, 56(11):6438-6447. [3.673; Ophthalmology: 7/57]
- Fehren-Schmitz L*, Llamas B*, Lindauer S*, Cagigao ET*, Kuzminsky S, Rohland N, Santos FR, Kaulicke P, Valverde G, Richards SM, Nordenfelt S, Verena Seidenberg V, Mallick S, Cooper A, Reich D, Haak W (2015) A re-appraisal of the early Andean human remains from Lauricocha in Peru. PLoS ONE, 10(6):e0127141. [3.702; Multidisciplinary sciences: 9/57] [* equal contribution]
- Haak W, Lazaridis I, Patterson N, Rohland N, Mallick S, Llamas B, Brandt G, Nordenfelt S, Harney E, Stewardson K, Fu Q, Mittnik A, Bánffy E, Economou C, Francken M, Friederich S, Garrido Pena R, Hallgren F, Khartanovich V, Khokhlov A, Kunst M, Kuznetsov P, Meller H, Mochalov O, Moiseyev V, Nicklisch N, Pichler SL, Risch R, Rojo Guerra MA, Roth C, Szécsényi-Nagy A, Wahl J, Meyer M, Krause J, Brown D, Anthony D, Cooper A, Alt KW, Reich D (2015) Massive migration from the steppe is a source for Indo-European languages in Europe. Nature, 522:207-211. [41.296; Multidisciplinary sciences: 1/57]
- Llamas B*, Brotherton P*, Mitchell KJ, Templeton JEL, Thomson
VA, Metcalf JL, Armstrong KN, Kasper M, Richards SM, Camens AB, Lee MSY,
Cooper A (2015) Late Pleistocene Australian marsupial DNA clarifies the affinities of extinct megafaunal kangaroos and wallabies. Molecular Biology and Evolution, 32(3):574-584. [11.667; Evolutionary biology: 4/46] [* equal contribution]
- Scott-Boyer M-P, Praktiknjo SD, Llamas B, Picard S,
Deschepper CF (2014) Dual linkage of a locus to left ventricular mass
and a cardiac gene co-expression network driven by a chromosome domain.
Frontiers in Cardiovascular Medicine, 1:11. [IF = NA]
- Wood JR, Mitchell KJ, Scofield RP, Tennyson AJD, Fidler AE, Wilmshurst JM, Llamas B,
Cooper A (2014) An extinct nestorid parrot (Aves, Psittaciformes, Nestoridae) from the Chatham Islands, New Zealand.
Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society, 172(1):185-99. [2.828; Zoology: 14/154]
- Fehren-Schmitz L*, Haak W*, Machtle B, Masch F, Llamas B, Tomasto Cagigao E, Sossna V, Schittek K, Isla Cuadrado J, Eitel B, Reindel M (2014) Climate change underlies global demographic, genetic and cultural transitions in pre-Columbian southern Peru. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA, 111(26):9443–8. [10.563; Multidisciplinary sciences: 4/57] [* equal contribution]
- Mitchell KJ, Pratt RC, Watson LN, Gibb GC, Llamas B, Kasper M, Edson J, Hopwood B, Male D, Armstrong K, Meyer M, Hofreiter M, Austin J, Donnellan SC, Lee MSY, Phillips MJ, Cooper A (2014)
Molecular phylogeny, biogeography, and ancestral habitat preference of marsupials
. Molecular Biology and Evolution, 31(9):2322-30. [11.667; Evolutionary biology: 4/46]
- Mitchell KJ, Llamas B, Soubrier J, Rawlence NJ, Worthy TH, Wood JR,
Lee MSY, Cooper A (2014) Ancient DNA reveals elephant birds and kiwi are sister taxa and clarifies ratite bird evolution. Science, 344(6186):898-900. [35.263; Multidisciplinary sciences: 2/57]
- Coutinho A, Valverde G, Fehren-Schmitz L, Cooper A, Barreto Romero MI, Espinoza IF, Llamas B, Haak W (2014) AmericaPlex26: A SNaPshot Multiplex System for Genotyping the Main Human Mitochondrial Founder Lineages of the Americas. PLoS ONE, 9(3):e93292. [3.702; Multidisciplinary sciences: 9/57]
- Weyrich LS, Llamas B, Cooper A (2014) Reply to Santiago-Rodriguez et al: Was luxS really isolated from 25- to 40-million-year-old bacteria? FEMS Microbiology Letters, 353(2):85-6. [2.166; Microbiology: 78/119]
- Der Sarkissian C, Brotherton P, Balanovsky O, Templeton J, Llamas B, Soubrier J, Moiseyev V, Khartanovich V, Cooper A, Haak W, The Genographic Consortium (2014) Mitochondrial
Genome Sequencing in Mesolithic North East Europe Unearths a New
Sub-clade Within the Broadly Distributed Human Haplogroup C1. PLoS ONE, 9(2):e87612. [3.702; Multidisciplinary sciences: 9/57]
- Sheng G-L, Soubrier J, Liu J-Y, Werdelin L, Llamas B, Thomson VA, Tuke J, Wu L-J, Hou X-D, Chen Q-J, Lai X-L, and Cooper A (2014) Pleistocene Chinese cave hyenas and the recent Eurasian history of the spotted hyena, Crocuta crocuta. Molecular Ecology, 23(3):522-33. [6.330; Evolutionary biology: 5/46]. Editorial by Beth Shapiro and Simon YW Ho available here.
- Mitchell KJ, Wood JR, Scofield PR, Llamas B, Cooper A (2014) Ancient mitochondrial genome reveals unsuspected taxonomic affinity of the extinct Chatham duck (Pachyanas chathamica) and resolves divergence times for New Zealand and sub-Antarctic brown teals. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution, 70(1):420-8. [4.064; Evolutionary biology: 10/46]
Fehren-Schmitz L, Llamas B, Tomasto-Cagigao E, Haak W (2014) Ancient DNA and the early population history
of western South America: what have we learned so far and where do we go from
here? Boletin Arqueologia PUCP,
- Templeton JEL, Brotherton PM, Llamas B, Soubrier J, Haak W, Cooper A, and Austin JJ (2013) DNA capture and Next Generation Sequencing recover whole mitochondrial genomes from highly degraded samples for human identification. Investigative Genetics, 4(1):26. [N/A]
- Praktiknjo SD, Llamas B, Scott-Boyer M, Picard S, Robert F, Langlais D, Haibe-Kains B, Faubert D, Silversides DW, and Deschepper CF (2013) Novel effects of chromosome Y on cardiac regulation, chromatin remodeling and neonatal programming in male mice. Endocrinology, 154(10):4746-56. [4.622; Endocrinology and metabolism: 28/128]
B*, Holland ML*, Chen K*, Cropley JE, Cooper A, Suter
CM (2012) High-Resolution Analysis of Cytosine Methylation in Ancient DNA. PLoS ONE, 7(1):e30226
. [3.702; Multidisciplinary sciences: 9/57] [* equal contribution]
- Dimasi DP, Hewitt AW, Kagame K, Ruvama S,
Tindyebwa L, Llamas B, Kirk KA,
Mitchell P, Burdon KP, Craig JE (2011) Ethnic and mouse strain differences in
central corneal thickness and association with pigmentation phenotype. PLoS ONE, 6(8):e22103. [3.702; Multidisciplinary sciences: 9/57]
B*, Verdugo RA*, Churchill GA, Deschepper CF (2009)
Chromosome Y variants from different inbred mouse strains are linked to
differences in the morphologic and molecular responses of cardiac cells to
postpubertal testosterone. BMC Genomics,
[4.360; Biotechnology and applied microbiology: 26/163] [* equal contribution]
- Llamas B, Bélanger S, Picard S, Deschepper CF (2007) Cardiac mass and cardiomyocyte size are governed by different genetic loci on either autosomes or chromosome Y in recombinant inbred mice. Physiological Genomics, 31(2):176-82. [2.757; Physiology: 40/83]. Editorial by Gary A Churchill available here.
- Deschepper CF & Llamas B (2007) Hypertensive cardiac remodeling in males and females: from the bench to the bedside. Hypertension, 49(3):401-7. [7.041; Peripheral vascular disease: 3/60]
- Llamas B, Lau C, Cupples WA, Rainville ML, Souzeau E, Deschepper CF (2006) Genetic determinants of systolic and pulse pressure in an intercross between normotensive inbred rats. Hypertension, 48(5):921-6. [7.041; Peripheral vascular disease: 3/60]
- Souzeau E, Llamas B, Bélanger S, Picard S, Deschepper CF (2006) A genetic locus accentuates the effect of volume overload on adverse left ventricular remodeling in male and female rats. Hypertension, 47(1):128-33. [7.041; Peripheral vascular disease: 3/60]
- Llamas B, Jiang Z, Rainville ML, Picard S, Deschepper CF (2005) Distinct QTL are linked to cardiac left ventricular mass in a sex-specific manner in a normotensive inbred rat intercross. Mammalian Genome, 16(9):700-11. [2.423; Biotechnology and applied microbiology: 49/163]
- Llamas B, Contesse V, Guyonnet-Duperat V, Vaudry H, Mormède P, Moisan MP (2005) QTL mapping for traits associated with stress neuroendocrine reactivity in rats. Mammalian genome, 16(7):505-15. [2.423; Biotechnology and applied microbiology: 49/163]
- Ousova O, Guyonnet-Duperat V, Iannuccelli N, Bidanel J-P, Milan D, Genêt C, Llamas B, Yerle M, Gellin J, Chardon P, Emptoz-Bonneton A, Pugeat M, Mormède P, Moisan MP (2004) Corticosteroid Binding Globulin: A new target for cortisol driven obesity. Molecular Endocrinology; 18(7):1687-96. [4.453; Endocrinology and metabolism: 35/128]
- Moisan MP, Llamas B, Cook MN, Mormède P (2003) Further dissection of a genomic locus associated with behavioral activity in the Wistar-Kyoto hyperactive rat, an animal model of hyperkinesis. Molecular Psychiatry; 8(3):348-52. [13.834 ; Biochemistry and molecular biology: 5/290]
- Progress and prospects in rat genetics: a community view (2008). Nature Genetics, 40(5):516-22. [32.408; Genetic and heredity: 2/167]. The list of co-signatories is available here.
- The complex Trait Consortium (2004) The Collaborative Cross, a community resource for the genetic analysis of complex traits. Nature Genetics, 36(11):1133-7. [32.408; Genetic and heredity: 2/167]
- Scientific collaborator for the creation of the permanent exhibition "idTV" and the previous permanent exhibition "Imagine". Montreal Science Centre, Montreal, QC, Canada.
- Advisory board member for the Citizen Conference on Pandemics Planning, Montreal, QC, Canada, 2008.
- Invited scientific speaker during the first Young Citizen Conference on the use of animals for research purposes. Montreal Science Centre, Montreal, QC, Canada, 2008.
- Invited scientific speaker during the Citizen conference on human biology breakthroughs in the genomic era. Montreal Science Centre, Montreal, QC, Canada, 4-5 Feb 2005.
- Invited scientific speaker during the Citizen forum on the genome: young scientists and genomic stakes, 72nd Annual Congress of the ACFAS. Montreal, QC, Canada, 13 May 2004.
- Player for the Adelaide University Soccer Club "The Blacks" since 2009, in the South Australian Amateur Soccer League Saturday Div1 Reserve (2009, 2010, 2012, 2013) and Div2 Reserve (2011). Team achievements: League Champions 2010, 2011; Personal achievement: League Top Scorer 2011
School of Earth and Environmental Sciences postdoc association representative
- Former president of the student association of the Montreal Clinical Research Institute (IRCM). 2003-2006
- Past member of the editorial board of Le Messager, the Montreal Clinical Research Institute (IRCM) monthly newspaper. 2003-2007
Entry last updated: Monday, 6 Jun 2016
The information in this directory is provided to support the academic,
administrative and business activities of the University of Adelaide.
To facilitate these activities, entries in the University Phone
Directory are not limited to University employees.
The use of information provided here for any other purpose, including
the sending of unsolicited commercial material via email or any other
electronic format, is strictly prohibited. The University reserves the
right to recover all costs incurred in the event of breach of this