Professor Sean Connell
|Org Unit||Ecology and Environmental Science|
|Telephone||+61 8 8313 6125|
|Location||Floor/Room 1 17 , Darling Building , North Terrace|
- I designed the BSc (Marine Biology).
- My teaching is informed from my research and work with policy-makers and managers.
- Students enjoy these courses because they close the gap between graduation and employment; connecting them to industry and career aspirations.
I forecast the ecological outcomes of management at local-regional-global scales by:
- Generating knowledge of human influences on producers (e.g. nutrient-pollution), their consumers (e.g. fishing), and synergies with climate (e.g. ocean acidification); as applied to subtidal habitat.
- Reconciling conflicting perspectives across biogeographic boundaries (i.e. MacroEcology) and time (i.e. the past and the future environments).
- Collaboration with coastal mangers, to changed our perspective of Australian coastal policy, and recently assisted future efforts by recognizing pre-industrial environments and their CO2 and temperate driven future.
Ocean acidification & temperature:
- Connell SD & BD Russell 2010 The direct effects of increasing CO2 and temperature on non-calcifying organisms: increasing the potential for phase shifts in kelp forests. Proceedings of the Royal Society B-Biological Sciences 277: 1409-1415
- Connell SD, Kroeker KJ, Fabricius KE, Kline DI, Russell BD (2013) The other ocean acidification problem: CO2 as a resource among competitors for ecosystem dominance. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B-Biological Sciences 368:20120442
Pollution, habitat loss & recovery:
- Ghedini G, Russell BD, Connell SD (2015) Trophic compensation reinforces resistance: herbivory absorbds the increasing effects of multiple disturbances. Ecology Letters 18:182-187
- Connell SD 2007 Water quality and the loss of coral reefs and kelp forests: alternative states and the influence of fishing. In: Connell SD, Gillanders BM (eds) Marine Ecology. Oxford University Press, Melbourne
Seeking progressive research directions:
- Connell SD & Irving 2009 The subtidal ecology of rocky coast: local-regional-biogeographic regional patterns and their experimental analysis. In Marine Macroecology. University of Chicago Press, Chicago.
- Russell & SD Connell 2009 Eutrophication science: moving into the future. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 24: 527-528.
More samples of publications: http://www.marinebiology.adelaide.edu.au/people/staff/sean.html
- NCEAS (Natioanl Centre for Ecological Analysis and Synthesis) - Co-investigator - byrnes_connell.html [11.4K] (text/html)
- I am interested in an Australian perspective of Marine Ecology: e.g. my book for Australians - Book.jpg [39.8K] (image/jpeg)
- I reflect & plan future comment on marine science's leadership & future: e.g. last paragraphs of - Connell_etal_2008.pdf [340.5K] (application/pdf)
To link to this page, please use the following URL: http://www.adelaide.edu.au/directory/sean.connell