Professor Sean Connell
PhD (University of Sydney), MSc (University of Auckland), BSc (University of Canterbury)
- I designed the BSc (Marine Biology).
- My teaching is informed from my research and work with policy-makers and managers.
- Students enjoy these courses because they close the gap between graduation and employment; connecting them to industry and career aspirations.
I forecast the ecological outcomes of management at local-regional-global scales by:
- Generating knowledge of human influences on producers (e.g. nutrient-pollution), their consumers (e.g. fishing), and synergies with climate (e.g. ocean acidification); as applied to subtidal habitat.
- Reconciling conflicting perspectives across biogeographic boundaries (i.e. MacroEcology) and time (i.e. the past and the future environments).
- Collaboration with coastal mangers, to changed our perspective of Australian coastal policy, and recently assisted future efforts by recognizing pre-industrial environments and their CO2 and temperate driven future.
Ocean acidification & temperature:
- Connell SD & BD Russell 2010 The direct effects of increasing CO2 and temperature on non-calcifying organisms: increasing the potential for phase shifts in kelp forests. Proceedings of the Royal Society B-Biological Sciences 277: 1409-1415
- Connell SD, Kroeker KJ, Fabricius KE, Kline DI, Russell BD (2013) The other ocean acidification problem: CO2 as a resource among competitors for ecosystem dominance. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B-Biological Sciences 368:20120442
Pollution, habitat loss & recovery:
- Ghedini G, Russell BD, Connell SD (2015) Trophic compensation reinforces resistance: herbivory absorbds the increasing effects of multiple disturbances. Ecology Letters 18:182-187
- Connell SD 2007 Water quality and the loss of coral reefs and kelp forests: alternative states and the influence of fishing. In: Connell SD, Gillanders BM (eds) Marine Ecology. Oxford University Press, Melbourne
Seeking progressive research directions:
More samples of publications: http://www.marinebiology.adelaide.edu.au/people/staff/sean.html
Entry last updated: Wednesday, 1 Jul 2015
The information in this directory is provided to support the academic,
administrative and business activities of the University of Adelaide.
To facilitate these activities, entries in the University Phone
Directory are not limited to University employees.
The use of information provided here for any other purpose, including
the sending of unsolicited commercial material via email or any other
electronic format, is strictly prohibited. The University reserves the
right to recover all costs incurred in the event of breach of this