Information Skills Program
The library offers services designed to help learners become successful users of information.
Our team of liaison librarians have extensive experience working with teaching staff, and course coordinators across the University, to embed information skills development into courses.
Library Essentials online – available in MyUni Commons
“We are delighted with the Library Essentials module and the topics that it covers ... we found the module enormously valuable in various courses.”
Elizabeth Yong, Faculty of Engineering, Computer & Mathematical Sciences
This suite of fully customisable online courses integrate seamlessly into MyUni or can be offered to students as self-enrol courses. Content is interactive and engaging.
Each Faculty has a tailored version of the course, and will teach students:
- How to understand and use relevant information and source types
- How to use subject specific databases
- How to search smarter to find relevant information
- How to evaluate information with a critical mindset
- How to reference information correctly
- Extra, tailored content for your subject area, designed in consultation with you, your teachers, and your students.
- Customisable summative and formative assessment activities – either standalone or integrated with an existing assessment activity.
Access courses in the Commons (search for Library Essentials) or provide self-enrol links to your students:
- Library Arts Essentials
- Library Engineering Essentials
- Library Health Essentials
- Library Law Essentials
- Library Professions Essentials
- Library Sciences Essentials
- Endnote Essentials
The benefits of embedding Library Essentials content into your course include:
- Improved student learning experience with well-designed, engaging and interactive information skills modules.
- Modules accessible to students when they need it.
- Students self-pace their own learning experience, adjusting time spent in each module to their individual requirements.
- Content available in MyUni, seamlessly integrating with your course content (we recommend incorporating modules or pages at the point of need in your course).
Blended or face to face training support is available through consultation with your Liaison Librarian. We will work with you to develop subject, or discipline specific information skills content that is relevant to your students.
All teaching provided by the Library aligns with our Learning & Teaching Principles.