Copyright is a set of exclusive rights given to authors or creators of works, or copyright owners to protect their works against unauthorised use. Copyright protects the expression of ideas in a material form.
Copyrighted materials are consistently being used and created within the University community. Every member of the University community has legislative compliance obligations relating to copyright. For assistance with copyright please contact the copyright coordinator.
- Copyright amendments December 2017
The Copyright Amendment (Disability Access and Other Measures) Act came into force on the 23 December 2017. The main amendments include:
- New exceptions for people with a disability, and institutions assisting people with a disability, to enable better access to copyright material
- Broadened library exceptions for preservation, research and administrative purposes
- Changed copyright terms for unpublished material (to come into effect 1 January 2019)
- A simplified educational statutory licence
The information in these web pages has been updated to reflect these changes.