Friends Of The Library
The Friends of the University of Adelaide Library network promotes and fosters interest and support for the University Library from alumni and the wider community.
The Friends also increase and broaden knowledge of the collections and services of the library, develop relationships with other libraries and cultural organisations, and assist with fundraising activities.
Membership of this network is available to:
- University of Adelaide Graduates.
- Current students.
- Past and present staff members of the University.
- Anyone who has a common interest in the objectives of the network.
UPDATE - The Friends Events Program is suspended until further notice due to COVID-19 precautions in the community and University. Thank you for your understanding.
Events are open to all, with $10 admission payable at the door - FREE for current students. Proceeds are used to support the University Library.
- 26 March: Heart of the Grass Tree, Molly Murn (2020 Indie Book Awards shortlist)
- 30 April: First Wave: Exploring early coastal contact history in Australia, Gillian Dooley & Danielle Clode
- 28 May: Curious recollections: Life in the Curiosity Show, Rob Morrison
- 24 September: Typhoon Kingdom, Matthew Hooton
- 29 October: Dr Space Junk vs The Universe: Archaeology and the future, Alice Gorman
One-hour lunchtime series, offering first-hand accounts of discoveries in the Barr Smith Library and usage of the collections for research. Held in the Ira Raymond Exhibition Room, Barr Smith Library.
- 2 July: Visions of Water, Camille Rouliere (2019 Bill Cowan Barr Smith Library Fellow) at 1.00pm
- 6 August: Indigenous inclusion in the Anzac legend, Rachel Caines (2019 Joint Hugh Martin Weir Prize) at 1.00pm
- 3 September: The Library as a place of discovery: changes and challenges, Teresa Chitty, University Librarian at 12 noon
Benefits of membership
To become a member, please complete this online form and select the Friends of the University of Adelaide Library option under Join a network.
Benefits of becoming a Friend include:
- Newsletters and invitations to events.
- Concession prices and free programs at all Independent Theatre productions.
- Two tickets per member at reduced prices for University Theatre Guild performances.
- Reciprocal benefits with Australian Federation of Friends of Museums (AFFM).
- 10% discount on purchases at a wide range of wonderful booksellers.
Download the Friends Terms of Reference.
The Barr Smith library holds many early printed and rare books collected largely through generous donation. This is a working collection and these unique and valuable resources support and stimulate the University's extensive and varied teaching and research programs. many of these items, now housed in Rare Books and Manuscripts, are in need of repair and restoration to ensure the works are available for the continued benefit of future generations of scholars.
Friends of the Library Patron and Committee
Patron Christopher Legoe QC AO President Ron Layton Secretary Paul Wilkins Assistant Secretary Hamish Barrett Treasurer Janet Fuss Members Maggi Boult, Sonja Grdosic, Tony McArthur, Carolyn Wigg Ex Officio Lee Amoroso, University Librarian nominee Jane Lomax-Smith, Immediate Past President Lisa Taplin, Manager Alumni Relations
Links of interest