The Friends of the University of Adelaide Library network promotes and fosters interest and support for the University Library from alumni and the wider community.
The Friends also increase and broaden knowledge of the collections and services of the library, develop relationships with other libraries and cultural organisations, and assist with fundraising activities.
Membership of this network is available to:
- University of Adelaide Graduates
- Current students
- Past and present staff members of the University
- Anyone who has a common interest in the objectives of the network
- 16 August 2018 Lunchtime discovery*: Emma McEwin [2016 Bill Cowan Barr Smith Library Fellow]: Nancy Atkinson: pioneer bacteriologist from 1939 at the University of Adelaide and the Institute of Medical and Veterinary Science
- 20 September 2018: Lucy Treloar : Salt Creek [Picador]
- 18 October 2018: Ashley Mallett : Boys of St Francis [Wakefield]
- 15 November 2018: Cheryl Williss : Miss Marryat's Circle: a story from South Australia [Wakefield]
Events are open to all, with $5 admission payable at the door - FREE for current students. Author and scholar events are proudly sponsored by Wakefield Press and Mantra Hotel. Wines are sponsored by Coriole Vineyards.
*The Barr Smith Discovery Series is a one-hour lunchtime series, offering first-hand accounts of discoveries in the Barr Smith Library and information regarding the usage of the collections for research.
To become a member, please complete this online form and select the Friends of the University of Adelaide Library option under Join a network.
Benefits of becoming a Friend include:
- Library membership at the reduced annual rate of $55 - contact Ask Library for more information.
- Newsletters and invitations to events.
- Concession prices and free programs at all Independent Theatre productions.
- Two tickets per member at reduced prices for University Theatre Guild performances.
- Reciprocal benefits with Australian Federation of Friends of Museums (AFFM).
- 10% discount on purchases at a wide range of wonderful booksellers.
Download the Friends Terms of Reference.
The Barr Smith library holds many early printed and rare books collected largely through generous donation. This is a working collection and these unique and valuable resources support and stimulate the University's extensive and varied teaching and research programs. many of these items, now housed in Rare Books and Special Collections, are in need of repair and restoration to ensure the works are available for the continued benefit of future generations of scholars.
Help the Friends purchase this important scrapbook by the University Library's founding benefactor Robert Barr Smith. This scrapbook will complete a set of four held in Rare Books and Special Collections. We kindly welcome your donation.
|Patron||Christopher Legoe QC AO|
|Assistant Secretary||Hamish Barrett|
|Members||Sonja Grdosic, Maggi Boult|
|Ex Officio||Teresa Chitty, University Librarian|
|Jane Lomax-Smith, Immediate Past President|
|Candace Cummings, External Relations Officer|