Friends Of The Library
The Friends of the University of Adelaide Library network promotes and fosters interest and support for the University Library from alumni and the wider community.
The Friends also increase and broaden knowledge of the collections and services of the library, develop relationships with other libraries and cultural organisations, and assist with fundraising activities.
Membership of this network is available to:
- University of Adelaide Graduates.
- Current students.
- Past and present staff members of the University.
- Anyone who has a common interest in the objectives of the network.
Events will be subject to COVID-19 regulations and conducted in accordance with COVID Safe requirements.
Events are open to all, with $10 admission payable at the door - FREE for current students. Proceeds support the University Library.
Bookings are essential to firstname.lastname@example.org
Held at 6:00 pm for 6:30 pm start in the Ira Raymond Exhibition Room, Barr Smith Library unless otherwise stated.
- Thursday 28 October - Lisa Slade, Assistant Director Art Galley SA - Tom Moore – Abundant Wonder
Lunchtime series between 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm, offering first-hand accounts of discoveries in the Barr Smith Library and usage of the collections for research. Held in the Ira Raymond Exhibition Room, Barr Smith Library unless otherwise stated.
- Thursday 24 June - Lee Amoroso, Manager, Special Collections, Archives & Recordkeeping (SpARK) and Alexis Tindall, Manager, Digital Innovation, University Library - What will Research Collections be like in 2121? Digital Preservation and the University Library.
- Thursday 29 July - Rachel Harris, 2020 Bill Cowan Barr Smith Library Fellow, on Women’s Work and Education in 1970s and 1980s Adelaide.
- Thursday 2 September - Jane Lomax-Smith, on her adopted book Hooke's Micrographia restaurata.
Benefits of membership
To become a member, please complete this online form and select the Friends of the University of Adelaide Library option under Join a network.
Benefits of becoming a Friend include:
- Newsletters and invitations to events.
- Concession prices and free programs at all Independent Theatre productions.
- Two tickets per member at reduced prices for University Theatre Guild performances.
- Reciprocal benefits with Australian Federation of Friends of Museums (AFFM).
- 10% discount on purchases at a wide range of wonderful booksellers.
Download the Friends Terms of Reference.
The Barr Smith library holds many early printed and rare books collected largely through generous donation. This is a working collection and these unique and valuable resources support and stimulate the University's extensive and varied teaching and research programs. many of these items, now housed in Rare Books and Manuscripts, are in need of repair and restoration to ensure the works are available for the continued benefit of future generations of scholars.
Friends of the Library Patron and Committee
Patron Christopher Legoe QC AO President Ron Layton Secretary Paul Wilkins Assistant Secretary Hamish Barrett Treasurer Janet Fuss Members Maggi Boult, Tony McArthur, Carolyn Wigg Ex Officio Lee Amoroso, University Librarian nominee Jane Lomax-Smith, Immediate Past President Lisa Taplin, Manager Alumni Relations
Links of interest