Request an Interlibrary Loan
Due to Covid-19, the Interlibrary Loan service is temporarily limited to the delivery of electronic articles only. There may be delays in the supply of electronic articles, so we ask for your patience when waiting for these to be supplied. Requesting print books is temporarily suspended as libraries around Australia and worldwide are experiencing disruptions to their service.
Thank you for your understanding and we will continue to update you regarding any further changes. For more information on changes to library services, please visit our response to COVID-19 website.
Get access to books, journal articles, and other items that are not held in the University Library collections through the Interlibrary Loans service. The library will source whatever you need for study, research and teaching purposes from libraries around Australia and overseas.
- The interlibrary loan service is available for all University staff, students and registered Alumni members.
- Most users are eligible for 50 free standard requests per calendar year.
How to request
Before submitting an Interlibrary Loan request, please use Library Search to confirm that the item is not already in the library. There are two ways to request an Interlibrary Loan:
1. Sign in to My Library and search for an item in Library Search. Widen your search using the Expand results beyond library collections option and then use the Interlibrary Loan link from within Library Search. If you're not sure how to do this, please see this quick reference guide. The advantage of choosing this option is that the item details from Library Search will automatically appear in the ILL request form, so you won't have to add all of the information from scratch.
2. From any page in Library Search, click on the Interlibrary Loans link at the top of the page and log in. Click on one of the relevant links under Add Request to access a request form. This form won't contain any citation details for your request so please enter as much information as you can, including an ISSN or ISBN if possible. If you don't have the information for required fields (indicated by a *), then type a hyphen (-) in that field.
Manage your requests
To renew your Interlibrary Loans you can click the + symbol next to your open request and it will expand the details. You have the option to request a renewal of the item, or message us if you have any questions. Please note that these options are not available in your MyLibrary list of loans.
Renewals are not automatic and do not happen immediately as we have to contact the supplying library to ask for a new loan period. Not all libraries will allow renewals and all renewals are subject to the lending policies of the supplying library.
Every staff, student and registered alumni member of the University of Adelaide is entitled to 50 free standard requests per person, per calendar year. For requests that exceed the 50 per year limit, loans held overseas, or for individual requests that exceed the standard cost of AUD$30.00 , the following extra charges will apply from April 1 2020:
- Rush Book requests: AUD$52.00 (please allow approximately 2 days for delivery)
- Rush Copy requests: AUD$37.00
- Overseas book loan: AUD$55.00
- Requests after annual 50 reached: Book loan AUD$28.50, Copy AUD$18.50 per standard request
Staff and eligible students of the University may be able to cover these additional charges using a Department Fund Code, but please check with your department first. Alumni may cover the additional charges with payment via the Online Shop. Please contact us for more details.
- Please allow approximately 14 working days for delivery of your Interlibrary Loans. This can vary depending on shipping, availability and the location of the item.
- Loans coming from overseas may have a longer turn-around time.
- Rush requests (delivery within two days) are available at an additional cost.
Collecting your requested book or item
- Once we receive your Interlibrary Loan item from the supplying library we will notify you via email and SMS. It will then be available to collect from the Requests Pickup shelf at your nominated location.
- Journal articles and book chapters will be sent to you as an email attachment in pdf format, where possible.
Returning your book or item
- You can return your items to any University Library return chute or to an Ask Library staff member.
- When returning your item, please ensure the plastic ILL strap and relevant paperwork are attached to the loan, to help facilitate prompt return and removal from your record.
Interlibrary Loans for other libraries