Barr Smith Library
The Barr Smith Library is home to the Reading Room, one of the most beautiful scholarly spaces in Australia.
- 24/7 access to the High Use Collection and study spaces on level 3.
- Large curated collections across many subject areas, including Australian history, politics and literature, English literature, world wars, socialism and fascism, women and gender studies, utopian literature, and food studies.
- Specialist collections, including the Music Collection, East Asian Collection, Yaitya Ngutupira and Recreational Reading.
- Over 500 individual study spaces.
- Over 130 computers.
- Bookable meeting rooms, study spaces, and computers.
- Printing, scanning and photocopying on each level.
Contact & location
Come and speak to us in person: Ask Library is located on Level 3 of Hub Central.
- (08) 8313 5759
- Find your liaison librarian
- Search the University Staff Directory
The Barr Smith Library is located in the centre of the North Terrace Campus, adjacent Hub Central. View campus map.
- Over 500 study spaces (combination of desk, group, carrel and computer) with some being bookable.
- Group discussion area located on level 3 of the library.
- Quiet study areas located throughout levels 1 and 2 of the library.
- Listening booths with specialist audio equipment.
- A/V viewing room with television, DVD and VHS facilities.
- 24/7 hour access to level 3 of the library, including the High Use Collection (University ID card required for out-of-hours access).
- Over 130 computers.
- Seminar / workshop room for groups up to 100 people (standing).
- Group study zone.
- Small group discussion room.
- Individual study rooms.
- Writing Studio (BSS 200)
- This space is a result of close collaboration with the Faculty of Arts, and is home to creative writing classes and workshops.
- Outside of classes and other bookings, it is available to students as a quiet study space.
Spaces you can book
- Ira Raymond Exhibition room (up to 80 people seated or 100 standing)
- Meeting Rooms
- A/V Viewing Rooms
- Listening booths
- Study booths
Returning books & other items
The returns chute is located outside of the library, near the bridge entrance to the library/Hub Central (if you are coming to the library from within the Hub, you need to go through the glass doors to the outside foyer area near the bridge entrance). Look for the bright red wall. Items can be returned to any of the University of Adelaide libraries.
Printing, scanning and copying
Printing is available on each level and uses your student quota. All of the printers in the library can also be used for photocopying and scanning (to USB). Learn more about printing, photocopying and scanning in the library.
Fast and easy-to-use face-up and flat-bed scanners are located on level 3 of the library.
Recharging your devices
A recharging station that works with most mobile devices is located on level 3 of the library.
Borrow some tech
The following items are available for loan from Ask Library:
The library can be accessed directly from the bridge entrance (on the western side of the building) or from within Hub Central on level 3. A lift on the southern side of the building provides access between levels 3 and 4 of Hub Central. Within the library, a lift in the northern end of the building provides access to all levels of the library.
- Specially adapted study carrels, identified by wheelchair signs, are located on the Northern Levels 1 and 2 of the Barr Smith Library - just opposite the lift.
- Accessible toilets are located on level 3 of the Barr Smith Library (near the main entrance) and level 1 (northern end of the building).