Liberal Men's Education Association Collection
The Association was a sub-group of the Liberal Union, a conservative political party resulting from a merger in 910 between the Liberal and Democratic Union and the independent conservative parties, the Australasian National League (formerly National Defence League) and the Farmers and Producers Political Union in South Australia. It was formed as a response to Labor Party successes culminating in South Australia's first majority government at the 1910 election. The Liberal Union lasted until 1923 when it became the Liberal Federation after merging with the National Party.
The Association was active in the 1920s and 1930s. Their activities included ‘smoke socials' and lectures by politicians and University academics, and programmes of study on politics and parliamentary issues, foreign policy, education, finance, and social and arbitration issues.
The Collection consists of 179 works from the Association's Library, donated in 2002, which reflected the study and reading interests of its members.