Appealing an exclusion for unsatisfactory academic progress

If you have received a notice of exclusion under the Academic Progress by Coursework Students Policy and wish to appeal the decision to exclude you from your academic program, you can only do so on procedural grounds by lodging a Stage 3: Internal University Appeal with Student Affairs.

This means that you must demonstrate that the Academic Progress by Coursework Students Policy has not been complied with - i.e. that there has been non-compliance with the Policy “which amounted to a serious defect in the Executive Dean’s (or delegate’s) decision."

You are encouraged to seek free, independent and confidential advice on what options are available to you in your particular circumstances, by contacting an Education and Welfare Officer (EWO) in Student Care.

Lodging your appeal

To lodge an appeal against an exclusion you must complete this student appeal application form within 20 business days of receiving your exclusion notice.

Before submitting your appeal application form, you should also read the Academic Progress by Coursework Students Policy to identify any breaches of the policy. These should be clearly highlighted in your appeal application form. You should also read the appeal submission guide ensure your application is complete.

If your appeal application is assessed as having merit by Student Affairs it will be sent to the respondent (the Executive Dean). The respondent may request that the matter be dealt with by pre-hearing review or a hearing of the Student Grievance and Appeals Committee. Alternatively, Student Affairs may attempt to negotiate a settlement agreement between you and the respondent to achieve a satisfactory outcome for both parties.

If you are not happy with the outcome of your Internal University appeal you are able to make a complaint to an external agency. You are also able to do this at any stage of the process. A number of external agencies may be able to assist, depending on your type of grievance.

Can’t find what you are looking for?

Student Grievance Resolution Process (SGRP)


Any enquiries regarding the Student Grievance Resolution Process (SGRP) can be directed to the Student Grievance and Conduct Advisors.

Contact a Student Grievance and Conduct Advisor